adding weight, how often and how much?

Baconator69**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey, I have been doing the starting strength for a little while now, not as consistant as I should but Im getting better at it.

I have been adding 5lbs a week to each exercise, I have been reading that some suggest adding weight everyworkout......

Im squatting 170 for 5x5. could I really add 15lbs per week to my squat? Im 5'10 185.

also BLOODY WAR POWERCLEANS, everyone looks at me like Im fucking crazy when I do them lol.

Thank you in advance.

Rule of thumb is 10/week on squat/dl and 5/week on pushing exercises.

"For young males that weigh between 150-200 lbs., deadlifts can move up 15-20 lbs. per workout, squats 10-15 lbs., with continued steady progress for 3-4 weeks before slowing down to half that rate. Bench presses, presses, and cleans can move up 5-10 lbs. per workout, with progress on these exercises slowing down to 2.5-5 lbs. per workout after only 2-3 weeks. Young women make progress on the squat and the deadlift at about the same rate, adjusted for bodyweight, but much slower on the press, the bench press, cleans, and assistance exercises."

-Mark Rippetoe

Yes, you should be able to add 5 lbs. per workout if you are recovering correctly, according to Rippetoe. I couldn't add that much per workout after a few weeks in when I was drinking 2%, but once I started drinking whole milk I could add the 5 every time. That could be a coincidence of some kind, but I have to believe it is the milk.

I think mark rippetoe is nuts in suggesting people add up to 15 pounds per workout for up to 4 weeks. Then 15 pounds a week after that. Youd have to sleep 12 hours a day and eat 5000 calories everday. I think realistic numbers are 10 pounds a week for squat/dl. Even then you have to be eating and resting like crazy.

I'm going to start GOMAD monday, at the same time I'm going to start a log here to track my workouts and progress.

Thanks for the input guys.

Nobody else is alarmed that he's doing Starting Strength but squatting 5 sets of 5 instead of 3 sets of 5?

Nobody else is alarmed that he's doing Starting Strength but squatting 5 sets of 5 instead of 3 sets of 5?

I have been doing it for about 3 months and I just reciently jumped up to five sets, like this week recient.

Back