Adding sprinting to my training

jrock89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know sprinting helps with your explosiveness, endurance, legs and overall is just a good thing to do. So I went to the track field and just started sprinting 100 meters like three times and was exhausted. The problem is, I don't know how to train for it. Do I do 3 100m sprints for 3 sets? Do I do 40 yard dashes 5 times for 2 sets? How do I "train" for it? And also does anyone have any experience doing sprints and coupling it with other exercises? Because I was at the track field for like 5 minutes and went back home. :icon_sad:

What does the rest of your routine look like? How much do you squat? Are you set on using sprints for explosive work?

I work out around 3 times a week with 4 days of grappling. Ill squat once a week on my leg days.

My leg days will looks something like this:
Squat (6 reps 3 sets)
Leg Presses (8 reps 3 sets)
Weighted Lunges (10 reps 3 sets)
Leg extensions (10 repts 3 sets)

My weight on squat right now is repping 205 6x 3 sets.
And yea I'm wanting to use sprints for explosive power.

You'd be better off reading the FAQ and selecting a better program to simply get stronger. At your strength level simply getting stronger will increase your explosiveness.

Your routine could be improved a lot. Additionally, the best way for you (and most of us) to improve explosive power is to just get stronger. That doesn't mean that you can't incorporate explosive exercises, like sprints, but that they are secondary to increasing your squat. Give this thread a read through: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/faq-update-beginner-intermediate-routines-1210858/

As for how to work sprints, the fact that you felt exhausted says you weren't taking enough time between sprints. There's a big difference between sprints done for condiitioning and sprints done to for explosiveness. Start with a dynamic warm-up, and some slower short sprints. Do 5 sets of 40 yard sprints, resting plenty between each sprint. Eventually you can work up to more sprints, and vary the distance. Then you can go home, or throw in conditioning/GPP work.

First get stronger then get faster

stronger they will take care of

faster ultimate frisbee. its infinitely variable speeds and self motivating and non contact lowers your chance of getting hurt. basketball/soccer are also good but I don't like getting hurt playing not my sport. I also like ultimate because with the cleats its more direct contact to the ground requiring more strength and helps use it better. On the flipside I over stressed my achilles playing it a couple weeks ago jumping back into it after not playing a year so don't go play 90 minutes all out the first time.

I don't really like the game. However I hate loosing and am competitive which keeps me motivated and pushing. Its puppy dog practice much easier on the mind than a track

Thanks guys for the help:icon_chee. Yea I try to incorporate all the power exercise (Dead lift, cleans, squats, pull ups) into my regimen. I'll try to get into hulk mode.

You don't need to do 100m sprints to work on your explosiveness. Keep lifting and pprint short distances (20 - 60m)

Something like this:

2x3x40m, 90s rest in between sprints and 5 min rest in between sets. Time your sprints; How many sprints you run each set will be determined by when you start to noticeably slow down.

Last edited:
Anyone who uses the leg press and leg extension machines should post a squat form check, and then discontinue using those machines

When is the best time to do sprints using a 3day 5x5 bill starr program?

When is the best time to do sprints using a 3day 5x5 bill starr program?

I'd do the either on saturday, or several hours, and a couple meals after a lifting on monday or friday. And that's assuming your recovery ability is good enough to include them at all, otherwise I'd suggest something less intense.

Don't worry about the length of the workout...if you work hard enough, you won't be able to work for very long.

My personal advice on sprints...do intervals. I use the High School track near the house. Run a mile to warm up then run two more. Jog the turns, sprint the straight-aways.

I did it twice a week and it did wonders for my athleticism

One of the things we did when I was in the Marine Corps was we would run 3 miles, for the last 2 miles we would sprint for 10 seconds all out, then light jog for a min. then sprint 10 seconds. It seem to work wonders.

Do Tabata Sprints man they're great !

8 sets

20 sec. of sprint and 10 sec rest then you continue

4 min total. Excellent workout add that to your routine you won't be disappointed.

8 sets

4 min total. Excellent workout add that to your routine you won't be disappointed.

Those wouldn't be sprints.

Don't worry about the length of the workout...if you work hard enough, you won't be able to work for very long.

My personal advice on sprints...do intervals. I use the High School track near the house. Run a mile to warm up then run two more. Jog the turns, sprint the straight-aways.

I did it twice a week and it did wonders for my athleticism

One of the things we did when I was in the Marine Corps was we would run 3 miles, for the last 2 miles we would sprint for 10 seconds all out, then light jog for a min. then sprint 10 seconds. It seem to work wonders.

8 sets

These are all things someone might do for conditioning. They are not how you would use sprints to develop explosiveness.

1:3, activity:rest ratio. Not sure if there is a ton of science in it, but if you are doing 100m sprints, it seems decent (it's what I have personally used).

If you are training explosiveness, I think that 100m would be a lot though, like an excessive distance. I like the 5x40m idea. But unless you are Usain Bolt, no one is still increasing speed past the 40-50m mark, so the explosive nature of the exercise is for the most part done. If you were doing some sort of a build up motion then possibly you could make the 100m run work.

This is something that Im looking to start doing too.I think listening to Tosa is good advice.

at 205x6 for 3 sets, you might want to ditch the sprints until your squat goes up...

Back