Adding heavy deadlift singles to 531

FiveFeezy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like the Wendler 531 program for the bench, OHP, and squat, but I am tired of the high rep deadlifts. I've checked out the Rhodes variation and I'm skeptical about it. It calls for 3 heavy singles in week 1, none in week 2, and 2 in week 3. I think the singles are supposed to be your training max for that month.

I usually am not at my strongest immediately after the deload week and I don't think that the 3 heavy singles would be right for me so early in the routine.

I am thinking of this:

Week 1: 5x65%, 5x75%, 5x85%, 1-2 singles at training max
Week 2: 3x70%, 3x80%, 3x90%, 2-3 singles at training max
Week 3: 5x85%, 3x90%, 1x95%, 4-5 singles at training max
Week 4: Deload

Thoughts?

Why are you skeptical of the Rhodes variation?

After 3-4cycles, you'll get tired fast if you keep doing heavy singles every week after your worksets. At this point your training max is about equal to your 1RM. I would just do Rhodes variation if you want heavy singles.

The way the 531 program feels like it works for me is I am getting stronger during the three work weeks, peaking in the third week. Then I rest for one week. When I start a new wave I do not feel as strong as I was at the end of the third work week, but I am stronger than I was at the beginning of the previous wave.

The Rhodes variation calls for the greatest number of heavy singles (3) during the first week of the wave (when I feel the weakest). I would rather have a lighter load of singles in the beginning of the wave, and the heavier load at the end.

So either (A) do it with the heavier load of singles at the end, rather than the beginning, (B) Do a bit more work in your deload, or (C) Use the EliteFTS Q&A to aks Matt Rhodes how you should do his 5/3/1 variation, expalining what you did in the above post.

I've been doing the rhodes variation as well. I use a more instinctive approach to the singles and it's been working great. If I'm feeling good I'll add more singles where as if I'm feeling worn out I might just do a few and call it. I stick to rhodes general outline but on some days you're feeling a bit better than others.

I did this for a short while, but I found that it rhymed badly with the rest of 5 / 3 / 1. It's a reps program, not a 1RM program, and so to me it feels really weird to do heavy singles in one single exercise (even if it's the deadlift, king of exercises) and reps in all the others.

do a heavy single after your work sets......

If you want to do singles, why not go with something like the Hepburn Method?

Yeah, I've been looking at the Hepburn method and I'm interested in trying it. It's just that I've been planning on running the 531 at least until the end of the year or until my lifts start stalling. But my deadlift seems soooo far away from stalling.

I'm going to try the heavy singles as planned and see how I like it. I probably won't go to EliteFTS to ask Matt Rhodes about this or I may feel obliged to join an internet forum addiction help group. :eek:

If you want to do heavy singles then do so when you feel like it- Feeling strong? do singles. Feeling tired/weak? Dont do singles.
I work up to heavy singles once a week, different lift each week.

Working nicely.

Back