Adding cardio to schedule advice.

iama

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So on top of Judo and weight training where do I put cardio (rowing machine)?

I have not really done much cardio over the years only running, none with a rower, I just want to now how often I need to do cardio and when to do it as I dont want it to affect weights and judo, infact I want it to help those things.

Also if anyone has experience with a rower some distances and advice on that would be fantastic

Currently lift (heavy) saturday and monday and do judo tuesday and thursday.

Cheers S+C heads.

Since you live for the shrugs, and the best conditioning for something is to do that something, I'd develop an indifferent personality.

Since you live for the shrugs, and the best conditioning for something is to do that something, I'd develop an indifferent personality.

Oi serious advice only shoe shine boy this is not a shrug thread.

Does your judo class not do a cardio type session before getting down to rondori? (sp?) Most places Ive been to do some kind of cardio work before they work on techniques.

But if not, I would advise doing your cardio same day as judo or weight lifting, so that you still get complete rest days. Perhaps do cardio in the morning and weights/judo in the evening. Personally I would pick cardio on same day as judo because I am still a beginner in weight lifting so Im doing constant PRs and I wouldnt want to even take a chance of cardio effecting it, whereas in mma I feel plenty recovered enough to spar later in the day.

Sorry I have no experience with row machines though :(

Does your judo class not do a cardio type session before getting down to rondori? (sp?) Most places Ive been to do some kind of cardio work before they work on techniques.

But if not, I would advise doing your cardio same day as judo or weight lifting, so that you still get complete rest days. Perhaps do cardio in the morning and weights/judo in the evening. Personally I would pick cardio on same day as judo because I am still a beginner in weight lifting so Im doing constant PRs and I wouldnt want to even take a chance of cardio effecting it, whereas in mma I feel plenty recovered enough to spar later in the day.

Sorry I have no experience with row machines though :(

Yeah we do a cardio type warm up but I'm talking serious cardio. I prefer to do additional s+c weights/cardio on non judo days so I can go full pelt without fatigue in class personally.

Start with LISS, after a while add shorter duration/higher intensity work.

FAQ.

Can you describe the lifting you do, aside from "heavy"?

Read the FAQ's, it'll tell you better than a lot of us can.

So on top of Judo and weight training where do I put cardio (rowing machine)?

I have not really done much cardio over the years only running, none with a rower, I just want to now how often I need to do cardio and when to do it as I dont want it to affect weights and judo, infact I want it to help those things.

Also if anyone has experience with a rower some distances and advice on that would be fantastic

Currently lift (heavy) saturday and monday and do judo tuesday and thursday.

Cheers S+C heads.
The main thing is make sure your technique is solid. See below:

See also:

If you want to know what the uberpeople are pulling you can check out the CRASH B results (2012 results here) or you can check out the Nat'l Team protocols.

Split times=time/500meters. So, a 1:49=7:16 2k time and a 1:57=23:24 6k time. (The fact that I still remember these numbers even though it's been years to be a little surprising. Or disturbing.)

Rowing is full body but most of your power will come from your legs & your core. I'd recommend starting with small amounts of time (15 minutes) so you can get your core used to it. I used to row a butt-ton (15-20 hours a week during peak season) & currently train jiu jitsu 3-4 times a week, ride my bike, run, etc. Well, I just started hopping on the erg for 15 or so minutes to get myself warm before yoga classes. Whoa, hello lower back & core!

Once you've gotten used to it there's all sorts of torturous workouts you can plan. 10k for some LSD action; Dirty Dozen (12x500mx1m rest); 6x2k w/ controlled stroke rates (20, 24, open, 26, 24, open) & the open stroke rate pieces have to be done at a split that is 2k split time+6 or 7 seconds, don't remember exactly.
Barf.

Edit to add: And as to when you should add the extra cardio stuff in, just start adding it in & figure it out what works for you. If you ask a bunch of chuckle heads on the internet who know next to nothing about your athletic history and training goals when you should add this stuff in you're going to get information that is based on the next to nothing they know about you. So add the workouts in. If they don't seem to be adversely affecting your current training plans, congrats! you got it right. If you feel flat for your other workouts, well then shuffle them around until they fit & don't impair your focused training.

(But generally, for me, if I'm going to do 2 training sessions a day, it's better if the more physically challenging one is first. Intervals, weights, whichever workout has a higher training load is better when done as the first training session of the day. For me.)

Last edited:
You lift twice a week and train judo twice a week. I am sure you can fit in two conditioning sessions relatively easily. Optimal timing would, most generally, have them done on their own day (which seems possible in your schedule). If not, you could work them in as 2-a-days or after strength training / judo. I often do 45-60 minutes of LISS on a rower after my strength training (which is also twice a week), and I do skill work 4-5 days a week.

Just fit it in where you can. As was said, you should probably progress from LISS to work on different energy systems.

Back