Addiction is not what we think it is (TED)

Man, does anyone else really want to visit Rat Park after that tale? Sounds like heaven.

Last edited:
What makes him a tool? How much did you watch?

Almost 3 minutes.

We've heard this argument before. These talks are all preaching to the choir. It's really just a big circle jerk for trust fund smarty pants to show off how moral and just they are.

Almost 3 minutes.

We've heard this argument before. These talks are all preaching to the choir. It's really just a big circle jerk for trust fund smarty pants to show off how moral and just they are.

How do you explain a place like Portugal where they more less applied what he said and completely crippled their addiction problems?

Everyone is wired differently, everyone has a different chemical makeup, kind of like a recipe, only the human recipe has millions of ingredients...when different people take different drugs you get different results....Some Carbon units get a very strong positive reaction to Opiates (probably the most dangerous of all the chemicals) . THC gets a positive in others....that's really it IMO, The stronger the positive effect, the stronger the addiction...this explains the varying degrees of life destruction and drug use...

Well, I would call this bullshit. I have known many people with a lot of friends and a SO that were drug addicts.

You can have a lot of friends and not have a lot of personal connections. I bet Phillip Seymour Hoffman new a lot of people too. He did address that in the video as well.

Man, does anyone else really want to visit Rat Park after that tale? Sounds like heaven.

I do. Free sex and colored balls and free coke. Those rats are dumb not to take the coke then bang.

You can have a lot of friends and not have a lot of personal connections. I bet Phillip Seymour Hoffman new a lot of people too. He did address that in the video as well.

Sorry, I meant to imply personal connections. As I saw them day in and day out, I am not in their head of course.

Let's take a for instance, say if you have many friends and are happy and etc, and you get this gf who is the bomb and etc.
You lose her someway. But you never gave up these friends and family and etc. But the loss of this girl drives you to drugs.

Happened to someone close to me when her BF died.

What drugs really are is an escape from reality.

Sorry, I meant to imply personal connections. As I saw them day in and day out, I am not in their head of course.

Let's take a for instance, say if you have many friends and are happy and etc, and you get this gf who is the bomb and etc.
You lose her someway. But you never gave up these friends and family and etc. But the loss of this girl drives you to drugs.

Happened to someone close to me when her BF died.

What drugs really are is an escape from reality.

So your friend lost an important personal connection and turned to drugs. That sounds plausible, and even if that isn't part of the larger trend it doesn't matter. This guy didn't speak in absolutes.

Some cliffs:

- The opposite of addiction is not sobriety, the opposite of addiction is connection.

Just watched the video and i believe this cliff is incorrect. He even used it at the end and i believe its use is incorrect. The treatment/counter to drug addiction is connection, not its opposite.

I do. Free sex and colored balls and free coke. Those rats are dumb not to take the coke then bang.

I'm just waiting for those scientists to introduce Sharon Rat Stone into that colony. Things would go wild.

[YT]nCltE-dXjBs&end=16[/YT]

I'm just waiting for those scientists to introduce Sharon Rat Stone into that colony. Things would go wild.

[YT]nCltE-dXjBs[/YT]

I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my miserable life in a cage if I had free coke and prime Sharon Stone to keep me company.

Back