Addicted to boxing...

Lionidas

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm quickly becoming more and more addicted to Boxing and Im starting to neglect my Muay Thai training sessions.

Realistically, is once a week enough for Muay Thai?
I started Boxing and I can't get it out of my mind....I train in Boxing 4-5 times a week (work permitting) and I seriously think about it day and night.

I fucking love the sweet science.

Should I even bother with Muay Thai anymore?
My problem is that during my Thai class, I stay in a mostly MMA stance so I can punch harder and it's closer to my Boxing stance which feels more comfortable.
For the past month, I've been going to 1 MT class a week simply to keep my technique and form proper for my kicks, knees, elbows and Thai clinch work.

For the record, I don't fight in MMA or anything, I simply train for the love of it and the knowledge. On the other hand, I want to be well rounded so I still train in BJJ.

Gah....not sure what to do...I have this need to be well rounded in everything so I feel like I'm cheating myself by not doing Muay Thai more.
The problem is I seriously love Boxing now, more than any other Martial Art by far so I'm neglecting other areas of my fighting game.

boxing is awesome i know. some say it's dying but its been around so long and so many people watch it theres no way its gonna die out.

im not a fan of any particular sport I just like all fighting competitions. more im more of a stand up kind of guy. wrestlers dont interest me.

I think the answer depends.

For me, I learned to box before doing MT and my boxing style is very classical, I have trouble with low kicks even to this day and even when I force myself to stand more square. I also like to counterpunch a lot and I haven't quite blended that in with dealing with the kicks.

The result is I can spar the same guy hands-only and tool him, and then get tooled when we throw kicks into the mix

On the other hand if you stand pretty similarly with both arts, and your boxing style is aggressive offense I guess you will have less problems switching up between the two.

Some boxing styles translate better to MT and some MT styles translate better to boxing, the way certain strikers transition to MMA better or worse - it all depends.

I come from the school of thought that capitlizes on strengths instead of focusing on well-roundedness.

That being said, your passion for boxing over Muay Thai is a strength.

Practicing both, I personally feel the need to perfect my kicks over my punches. If I were you, I would try to get my amatuer boxing license and see how a pure focus on that goes.

Just go with the flow. Might as well dedicate yourself to an art for the time being.

Why be well-rounded if your goal isn't competiton? Just do what makes you happy. You don't have to do MT if Boxing makes you happier and MT is in the way. If you like 'em both... do 'em both. You don't need to ask us Sherdoggers for the answer to that question, because deep down in your heart, you already know the answer.

I went through this phase for awhile and I think I was just burned out on Muay Thai more than anything. The sweet science has been around a long time for a reason. So has MT. It sounds like you're probably a little burnt out on MT and are getting into boxing. Just something to think about..

I think the answer depends.

For me, I learned to box before doing MT and my boxing style is very classical, I have trouble with low kicks even to this day and even when I force myself to stand more square. I also like to counterpunch a lot and I haven't quite blended that in with dealing with the kicks.

The result is I can spar the same guy hands-only and tool him, and then get tooled when we throw kicks into the mix

On the other hand if you stand pretty similarly with both arts, and your boxing style is aggressive offense I guess you will have less problems switching up between the two.

Some boxing styles translate better to MT and some MT styles translate better to boxing, the way certain strikers transition to MMA better or worse - it all depends.

I don't know your style or seen you fight but a huge difference when you add kicks is the distance. Being a counterpuncher and probably an outfighter distance is everything for you, with kicks they take up a greater area and more distance plus leave both arms for protection. Downside of kicking is that you can't move while you kick and it takes time to throw it, also balance isn't as good on one leg. Next time you spar someone in MT maybe try to move more and use more angles and set up your offense from farther away try to suck them in more.

Hey guys, I'm quickly becoming more and more addicted to Boxing and Im starting to neglect my Muay Thai training sessions.

Realistically, is once a week enough for Muay Thai?
I started Boxing and I can't get it out of my mind....I train in Boxing 4-5 times a week (work permitting) and I seriously think about it day and night.

I fucking love the sweet science.

Should I even bother with Muay Thai anymore?
My problem is that during my Thai class, I stay in a mostly MMA stance so I can punch harder and it's closer to my Boxing stance which feels more comfortable.
For the past month, I've been going to 1 MT class a week simply to keep my technique and form proper for my kicks, knees, elbows and Thai clinch work.

For the record, I don't fight in MMA or anything, I simply train for the love of it and the knowledge. On the other hand, I want to be well rounded so I still train in BJJ.

Gah....not sure what to do...I have this need to be well rounded in everything so I feel like I'm cheating myself by not doing Muay Thai more.
The problem is I seriously love Boxing now, more than any other Martial Art by far so I'm neglecting other areas of my fighting game.

If you're only training for the love of it, then do what makes you happy! I mean, all this stuff about well-rounded vs specializing, it seems like that only matters if you really want to fight.

Im the exact opposite way. I hate not being able to kick.

It's better to have a strong focus than all inclusive mediocrity.

Well said and very inspiring for me to focus on Boxing only.....my Muay Thai is suffering lately.
Meanwhile, my punches have some serious fucking power behind them.

I was doing mit work the other day and my partner complained about his hands stinging a couple times. :icon_twis
That definitely made my week.

Back