Add your local MMA gym to this directory

Guys, you gotta to reply to this...you would be surprised how hard it is to find an MMA gym in some places. I live five minutes away from one, but I searched online, the phonebook for months and couldn't find anything. Lo and behold they are under a very TMA sounding name, but were totally MMA. I missed months of training that I wouldn't have if they had been listed under MMA online.

Added Georgia and Montana, thanks for the heads up. Keep them coming guys, just approved 20 of your submitted listings.

Good call on this thread. Nice work, man. I am about to add my gym.

one more thing, remember to pick the state first before adding your listing so we don't have to edit it. And thanks to the person from Cali that added about 8 listings. People from CA will appreciate that.

should make it sticky, and have a few people go threw all those threads (where do you train ) copy paste the info to that site. This would help limite the amount of threads asking for help finding a school.

Well I went through that sticky thread in standup forum and added all those listings. But if there is another thread on gym listings, it would be great if someone can add those gyms too. Or if everyone could just add one, the list will grow fast.

Hey!

I'm the guy in California that inputed a bunch of schools... :eek:

I think the service you guys are providing is a good one. It is about time somebody did this...

I have a couple of suggestions/questions:

1) It'll soon be a bit too crowded in some states (spec. CA) to have all school under just the state. It would be great if you guys could create subcategories for counties/cities/major urban areas.

For CA the major urban areas for example could be set down as: Los Angeles, Orange County (I'm including Long Beach in this category even though it is it's own county - I submitted this as a category at Fightfind.com), San Diego, San Francisco. This is a start at least, it would make it much easier to browse the schools. As time passes you could add other areas as well. As a note: most of the schools I inputed so far are in Orange County - in case you are not familiar w/ the area.

2) Also I was wondering if you did not receive my entry for Tinguinha's School in Orange County (Gracie Barra Orange County) since I didn't see it up there.

3) Will it be possible for us to go back in and modify the entries? I'm sure that ultimately you'll want to give that power to the schools themselves and move comments like I've made in the review section.

4) When/if you give the schools the power to change the entries, you might want to think about standardizing the entries. In other words, have a ready questionnaire to give the schools to fill out w/ info on disciplines, class costs, specializations (eg. spider guard, omoplata, thai clinch, takedowns etc), info on head instructors/assistant instructors (w/ bio/rank)/amount that instructors teach classes etc.

Anyhow... I'm sure you have a good plan. These are just some suggestions that would make the website more navigable and thus more succesful.

VeniVidiVinci said:
Hey!

I'm the guy in California that inputed a bunch of schools... :eek:

I think the service you guys are providing is a good one. It is about time somebody did this...

I have a couple of suggestions/questions:

1) It'll soon be a bit too crowded in some states (spec. CA) to have all school under just the state. It would be great if you guys could create subcategories for counties/cities/major urban areas.

For CA the major urban areas for example could be set down as: Los Angeles, Orange County (I'm including Long Beach in this category even though it is it's own county - I submitted this as a category at Fightfind.com), San Diego, San Francisco. This is a start at least, it would make it much easier to browse the schools. As time passes you could add other areas as well. As a note: most of the schools I inputed so far are in Orange County - in case you are not familiar w/ the area.

2) Also I was wondering if you did not receive my entry for Tinguinha's School in Orange County (Gracie Barra Orange County) since I didn't see it up there.

3) Will it be possible for us to go back in and modify the entries? I'm sure that ultimately you'll want to give that power to the schools themselves and move comments like I've made in the review section.

4) When/if you give the schools the power to change the entries, you might want to think about standardizing the entries. In other words, have a ready questionnaire to give the schools to fill out w/ info on disciplines, class costs, specializations (eg. spider guard, omoplata, thai clinch, takedowns etc), info on head instructors/assistant instructors (w/ bio/rank)/amount that instructors teach classes etc.

Anyhow... I'm sure you have a good plan. These are just some suggestions that would make the website more navigable and thus more succesful.

First of all thank you for adding all those links. Now to answer your questions.

1) We don't mind breaking big states like CA down to subcategories but someone would have to help tell us which ones belong to what subcategories like (orange county) since we're not from CA.

2) I've approved all pending listings so if it's not there, please add again and I'll post it.

3) If you registered an account, you can always edit your listings. For any listings that has incorrect info, click report and shoot us a message to tell us what needs to be updated. Reviews and ratings are open to everyone, if you've seen a negative review about your gym, you can always add your own review to let people know why it's a good gym.

4) We've been thinking about extra fields, your suggestions are good. If anyone has more suggestions we'll take it into account before making the updates.

Keep add those listings guys. List is growing.

Great idea. However, the listing for Orange County Kodokan is incorrect. They moved into a new facility in Cypress about a year or so ago. They are no longer in Anaheim.

Sherdog_Mutt: Since you are currently at Tinguinha's maybe you should input the info for that school. Please also mention his specialty in spider guards, any peculiarities, good things/bad things etc. Thanks man! Also, any other schools you know in OC would be awesome. I think I've exhausted my list of schools.

With regards to giving more info on what counties/cities etc a certain urban arean encompasses I can do that for at least some areas in California. I'll get to it...

VeniVidiVinci said:
Sherdog_Mutt: Since you are currently at Tinguinha's maybe you should input the info for that school. Please also mention his specialty in spider guards, any peculiarities, good things/bad things etc. Thanks man! Also, any other schools you know in OC would be awesome. I think I've exhausted my list of schools.

With regards to giving more info on what counties/cities etc a certain urban arean encompasses I can do that for at least some areas in California. I'll get to it...

Just added Tinguinha's listing. Awaiting approval from administrator.

Thanks Mutt!

Ok, well I've inputed a bunch of schools over the last couple of days... I think an OCD virus hit me there for a while... :redface:

Anyhow, it should be a good beginning for people looking for schools - specially in Orange County and Los Angeles. I think actually that the OC and LA is beginning to rival if not yet overtake Rio de Janeiro as the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu capitals of the world. I guess we just are lacking in sheer number of black belts. :cool:

Keep up the good work!

VeniVidiVinci said:
Thanks Mutt!

Ok, well I've inputed a bunch of schools over the last couple of days... I think an OCD virus hit me there for a while... :redface:

Anyhow, it should be a good beginning for people looking for schools - specially in Orange County and Los Angeles. I think actually that the OC and LA is beginning to rival if not yet overtake Rio de Janeiro as the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu capitals of the world. I guess we just are lacking in sheer number of black belts. :cool:

Keep up the good work!

so that was you. Thanks man all those listings have been approved. Cali has many listings now.

added lvcombatclub on there. I love that school.. best trainers, and i get to roll with frank mir,and heath herring.. even though they own me in like 6 seconds flat. haahah

Judo-kid said:
should make it sticky, and have a few people go threw all those threads (where do you train ) copy paste the info to that site. This would help limite the amount of threads asking for help finding a school.

Agreed. This is a good directory that's being started up.

Back