ADCC 2015 preview: 99kg+

mattandbenny

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi all.

With this year's ADCC just a week away, i'm going to be doing a little preview for the 5 men's categories.

(FYI the odds are just my opinions and just for fun :icon_chee)

Be interesting to hear everyone else's thoughts on the category, if you agree/disagree etc.

-----------------------

99jkg+

ADCC_2015_99.jpg

(click this link to see full size: http://s4.postimg.org/badiq0rel/ADCC_2015_99.jpg)

Bernardo Faria (Brazil)
Age: 28 Record at Black Belt: 80-22 (40 Sub) Record in 14/15: 27-4 (19 Sub)
Achievements: 3x World Champion (2015, 2013, 2010), 2x Pan American Champion (2015, 2010)
ADCC History: Debut
Key wins: Braulio Estima, Roberto Abreu, Alexander Trans, Leandro Lo, Roberto Alencar, AJ Agazarm, Yuri Simoes, Luiz Panza, Claudio Calasans, Rafael Lovato, Joao Assis, Antonio Braga Neto

Vinny Magalhaes (Brazil)
Age: 31 Record at Black Belt: 19-9-2 (10 Sub) Record in 14/15: 4-2-2 (2 Sub)
Achievements: 1x ADCC Champion (2011), 1x No-Gi World Champion (2007), 1x World Champion Brown Belt (2005)
ADCC History: Quarter Final (2013), Winner (2011), 3rd (2009)
Key wins: Robert Drysdale, Dean Lister, Marcus Almeida, Fabricio Werdum, Jackson Sousa

Dean Lister (USA)
Age: 39 Record at Black Belt: 20-11-1 (16 Sub) Record in 14/15: 0-2-1 (0 Sub)
Achievements: 1x ADCC Champion (2011)
ADCC History: Runner Up (2013), Winner (2011), Quarter Final (2009)
Key wins: Ricardo Abreu, Joao Assis, Rodolfo Vieira, Marcio Cruz

Joao Gabriel Rocha (Brazil)
Age: 24 Record at Black Belt: 25-11 (14 Sub) Record in 14/15: 11-4 (8 Sub)
Achievements: 2x World Champion Brown Belt (2012, 2011), 1x Pan American Champion Brown Belt (2012)
ADCC History: Runner Up (2013)
Key wins: Rafael Lovato Jr, Yuri Simoes, Joao Assis, Leo Nogueira, Jared Dopp

Orlando Sanchez (USA)
Age: 32 Record at Black Belt: 5-4 (1 Sub) Record in 14/15: 0-0 (0 Sub)
Achievements: 1x Pan American Champion Brown Belt (2012)
ADCC History: Quarter Final (2013)
Key wins: Leandro Lo

Gabriel Lyrio Lucas (Brazil)
Age: 24 Record at Black Belt: 19-9 (4 Sub) Record in 14/15: 18-8 (4 Sub)
Achievements: 1x World Champion (2015), 1x World Champion Brown Belt (2013)
Key wins: Victor Estima

Jared Dopp (USA)
Age: 26 Record at Black Belt: 0-0 (0 Sub) Record in 14/15: 0-0 (0 Sub)
Achievements: N/A
ADCC History: 4th (2013)
Key wins: Vinny Magalhaes

Rodrigo Cavaca (Brazil)
Age: 33 Record at Black Belt: 32-23 (18 Sub) Record in 14/15: 7-7 (2 Sub)
Achievements: 1x World Champion (2010)
ADCC History: 1st Rd (2009)
Key wins: Marcus Almeida, Roberto Abreu, Bernardo Faria

The Rest: Paul Ardilla (USA), Rodrigo Artilheiro (Brazil), Janne-Pekka Pietlainen (Finland), Jeff Monson (USA), Hideki Sekine (Japan), Leonardo Lucio (Brazil), Jason Lees (USA), Lee-Hyeong Chul (S.Korea)

With both Marcus Almeida and Alexander Trans suffering knee injuries that ruled themselves out of this year’s ADCC, the big favourite to take the 99+ bracket will be reining World Champion Bernardo Faria. The 28 year old has beaten the who’s who of BJJ heavyweights, including Roberto Abreu, Alexander Trans & Braulio Estima. In the past 18 months he has won 27 of 31 fights, finishing an impressive 19 of them by submission, and is both the 2015 World Champion and Pan American Champion.

Arguably his biggest challenge will be former ADCC champion & MMA fighter Vinny Magalhaes. The 31 year old is looking to get back on track after a disappointing 2013 tournament when he lost in the quarter finals to purple belt Jared Dopp in one of the biggest upsets in ADCC history. He has not competed much on the BJJ circuit since the ADCC’s 2 years ago, with a couple of draws in Metamoris being his most notable performances.

At 39 years old the always dangerous Dean Lister is past his prime but can never be counted out having made the finals of the last 2 ADCC tournaments; though you have to question the logic of moving up from the -99kg category.

Joao Gabriel Rocha burst onto the scene in 2011 when he became World Champion at brown belt at just 20 years old. Now a more experienced 24, he is steadily improving, and was runner up to Marcus Almeida in 2013’s ADCC tournament. Shortly after that tournament he was diagnosed with cancer, but has since made a terrific recovery and looks back to his best.

Fan Favourite ‘The Cuban tree stump’ Orlando Sanchez will return to the competition this year after losing out in the quarter finals last year. He hasn’t competed much since 2013, spending much of the past 6 months helping Fabricio Werdum train for his UFC title fight.

Gabriel Lyrio Lucas has had a great year, becoming the 2015 World Champion in the ultra heavyweight division. In the past he has struggled against the higher level competition, and if he could equal last year’s 4th place it would be a great result for the 24 year old.

26 year old Jared Dopp made headlines last year when, as a purple belt, he knocked Vinny Magalhaes out of the tournament. A multiple time World Champion at blue & purple belt, he is now a brown belt. A prodigy of Rafael Lovato Jr, he looks to have another good tournament and could be the dark horse of the competition.

Rodrigo Cavaca is the final man on the ‘contenders’ list. His record is brilliant – a former world champion who owns wins over 3 heavyweight greats in Marcus Almeida, Bernardo Faria & Roberto Abreu. Although still one of the top competitors, to me he seems a little past his prime of 5 years ago.

Final Prediction: Bernardo Faria beats Joao Gabriel Rocha
Dark Horse: Jared Dopp
MMA Fighters competing: Vinny Magalhaes (12-7), Dean Lister (13-7), Jeff Monson (55-23), Orlando Sanchez (5-0), Hideki Sekine (7-0), Leandro Lucio (10-8), Lee Hyeong Chul (1-0)

I would love to see Faria win but those are some tough dudes he will need to go through.. and how is his No gi record?

I'm hoping for a Joao Gabriel Rocha vs. Bernard Faria worlds rematch. I am a Bernardo fanboy to the max and wish him the best on his journey to double gold at ADCC. If anyone were to beat Bernardo however I would hope that it is Joao.

Interesting division, it is really up in the air

Most interesting fact I see here... Lister doesn't have a competition win since 2013.

As for who'll win it... I'm going with Dopp to take it this year. I just have this feeling.

Hi all.

With this year's ADCC just a week away, i'm going to be doing a little preview for the 5 men's categories.

(FYI the odds are just my opinions and just for fun :icon_chee)

Be interesting to hear everyone else's thoughts on the category, if you agree/disagree etc.

-----------------------

99jkg+

ADCC_2015_99.jpg

(click this link to see full size: http://s4.postimg.org/badiq0rel/ADCC_2015_99.jpg)

Bernardo Faria (Brazil)
Age: 28 Record at Black Belt: 80-22 (40 Sub) Record in 14/15: 27-4 (19 Sub)
Achievements: 3x World Champion (2015, 2013, 2010), 2x Pan American Champion (2015, 2010)
Key wins: Braulio Estima, Roberto Abreu, Alexander Trans, Leandro Lo, Roberto Alencar, AJ Agazarm, Yuri Simoes, Luiz Panza, Claudio Calasans, Rafael Lovato, Joao Assis, Antonio Braga Neto

Vinny Magalhaes (Brazil)
Age: 31 Record at Black Belt: 19-9-2 (10 Sub) Record in 14/15: 4-2-2 (2 Sub)
Achievements: 1x ADCC Champion (2011), 1x No-Gi World Champion (2007), 1x World Champion Brown Belt (2005)
ADCC History: Quarter Final (2013), Winner (2011), 3rd (2009)
Key wins: Robert Drysdale, Dean Lister, Marcus Almeida, Fabricio Werdum, Jackson Sousa

Dean Lister (USA)
Age: 39 Record at Black Belt: 20-11-1 (16 Sub) Record in 14/15: 0-2-1 (0 Sub)
Achievements: 1x ADCC Champion (2011)
ADCC History: Runner Up (2013), Winner (2011), Quarter Final (2009)
Key wins: Ricardo Abreu, Joao Assis, Rodolfo Vieira, Marcio Cruz

Joao Gabriel Rocha (Brazil)
Age: 24 Record at Black Belt: 25-11 (14 Sub) Record in 14/15: 11-4 (8 Sub)
Achievements: 2x World Champion Brown Belt (2012, 2011), 1x Pan American Champion Brown Belt (2012)
ADCC History: Runner Up (2013)
Key wins: Rafael Lovato Jr, Yuri Simoes, Joao Assis, Leo Nogueira, Jared Dopp

Orlando Sanchez (USA)
Age: 32 Record at Black Belt: 5-4 (1 Sub) Record in 14/15: 0-0 (0 Sub)
Achievements: 1x Pan American Champion Brown Belt (2012)
ADCC History: Quarter Final (2013)
Key wins: Leandro Lo

Gabriel Lyrio Lucas (Brazil)
Age: 24 Record at Black Belt: 19-9 (4 Sub) Record in 14/15: 18-8 (4 Sub)
Achievements: 1x World Champion (2015), 1x World Champion Brown Belt (2013)
Key wins: Victor Estima

Jared Dopp (USA)
Age: 26 Record at Black Belt: 0-0 (0 Sub) Record in 14/15: 0-0 (0 Sub)
Achievements: N/A
ADCC History: 4th (2013)
Key wins: Vinny Magalhaes

Rodrigo Cavaca (Brazil)
Age: 33 Record at Black Belt: 32-23 (18 Sub) Record in 14/15: 7-7 (2 Sub)
Achievements: 1x World Champion (2010)
ADCC History: 1st Rd (2009)
Key wins: Marcus Almeida, Roberto Abreu, Bernardo Faria

The Rest: Paul Ardilla (USA), Rodrigo Artilheiro (Brazil), Janne-Pekka Pietlainen (Finland), Jeff Monson (USA), Hideki Sekine (Japan), Leonardo Lucio (Brazil), Jason Lees (USA), Lee-Hyeong Chul (S.Korea)

With both Marcus Almeida and Alexander Trans suffering knee injuries that ruled themselves out of this year

Is past champ Monson so past his prime he doesn't even get a mention?

The fact that Monson is even competing is a bit of a miracle.
I don't even know how he can sit in an airplane for that long. his back is all types of jacked.

Is past champ Monson so past his prime he doesn't even get a mention? And dpes anybody know anything about the Finnish guy? Seems like that region has produced some tough grapplers in recent years.

Janne Pekka won the world champs at brown belt in 2009 and has won the ADCC European Championships five times. Pretty sure he competed at the last four ADCC's.

Please tell me OP was joking when he referred to Orlando 'the human stall' Sanchez as a fan favourite.

I've trained with Jason Lees before at Renzos, he's like the overlooked Danaher student. Awesome grappler with great leg attacks. He's gonna do well

Ugh, Orlando Sanchez. I forgot how much I hate watching him compete. "Fan favorite," LOL. mattandbenny, I hope you're being ironic.

And dpes anybody know anything about the Finnish guy? Seems like that region has produced some tough grapplers in recent years.

Janne-Pekka whatever? Big ripped weightlifter guy, but he has a losing record in ADCC, and he has been in the tournament many times. He's just not on the skill level of the world's elite. Braulio beat him in absolute, Popovitch beat him in absolute. Even JT Torres has beaten him in absolute, in the gi.

Bernardo Faria OUT of ADCC due to foot injury.

It brings me much sadness to announce here that Im out of the Adcc. In 15 years of BJJ something happened to me that I never saw before, two days before the tournament (wednesday night) I was showing one technique and my training partner fell over my foot, and it seems like I broke my foot Its unbelievable, I was not even training, I was just showing techniques at a Seminar at Alliance.. Its one dream going away, but everything that happens in life happens for a reason and I cant complain about this year, it has been the best year of my whole career and life! Im so sorry about all my friends, fans and everyone who was cheering for me, its one dream that pulled out from my hands, but I hope I still have more dreams to come true...

What the fuck is going on. It seems like a lot of leading competitors are out of this ADCC. So many exciting match-ups are not going to happen.

Back