Actors so awesome they expanded their part in movie

Tom Cruise was an extra in Taps before he was upgraded to a speaking role.

The full metal jacket example was good I remember reading that. I cant think of any movies but in the show Homeland the creators originally had Brody dying after season one, but him and Claire Danes worked so well together they decided to keep him on.. Like someone else said happens a lot in tv.

Jesse Motherfuckin Pinkman.

He was supposed to be killed off after the first season of BB but Walt and Jesse had such good chemistry that they kept the story going with him.

Julianna Marguiles was supposed to die in the pilot episode of ER. Ended up being a regular for the first six seasons of the show.

A little different twist, but The Simpsons were originally a short bit on the Tracey Ulman show back in the ‘80s.

Usually, some new or relatively unknown actor gets cast in a bit part but due to the actor bringing so much to the table, the director/writer adds lines/scenes for that character.

Some well known ones are:
Matthew Lillard in Scream

Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused

Seann William Scott american pie

Can you expand or link the info of lillard in scream ? I know a lot of his lines and action in the final scenes where he is killed was improved/spontaneous.

Eh...I could totally see John Malkovich pulling off a good Hans Landa.
IIRC it was originally supposed to be Leo, to the point that he was learning to speak German. I think he would've crushed as Landa was charming and evil at the same time which Leo pulled off with Calvin Candie.

Can you expand or link the info of lillard in scream ? I know a lot of his lines and action in the final scenes where he is killed was improved/spontaneous.

I was really going off the commentary where they said they built up his part because of matthew.

Matthew Lillard ad-libbed "My mom and dad are going to be so mad at me."
Matthew Lillard (Stu) adlibbed the line "Ah... Houston, we have a problem" when he discovered that the gun was gone.
And I really, really dig his last line (which I heard somewhere was an ad-lib) “I always had a thing for you Sid!”

Brad Pitt as Tyler Durdan fight club during the rescue scene.

In the directors cut there is a special feature of the movie with the cast narrating throughout the movie.

Brad Pitt informs the audience that he was a maverick and went off script by dancing. There was no music but he acted as though they were.

Dude is so talented (full homo)

Wait wut?

He does it quite a bit in movies.

I was really going off the commentary where they said they built up his part because of matthew.

Matthew Lillard ad-libbed "My mom and dad are going to be so mad at me."
Matthew Lillard (Stu) adlibbed the line "Ah... Houston, we have a problem" when he discovered that the gun was gone.
And I really, really dig his last line (which I heard somewhere was an ad-lib) “I always had a thing for you Sid!”
Yeah I've heard the commentary and know those lines and parts. He was the perfect actor to play Stu. I'm not sure I would qualify this as his part expanded, I would say moreso just making the most out of the part he had

R Lee Ermey on Full Metal Jacket , originally a consultant , Kubrick was impressed with his Tirades as a Drill Instructor that he let him do his own thing , if you know how much of a dictator Kubrick is in his films you realize how big of a deal it was for Ermey to get the type of creative freedom he got.

Came in to say this. Great story. Go to 6:40...

Yeah I've heard the commentary and know those lines and parts. He was the perfect actor to play Stu. I'm not sure I would qualify this as his part expanded, I would say moreso just making the most out of the part he had

I would say expanded as in screen time.

Not in a movie, but I think the most well known "character" where this situation happened was with Fonzie in Happy Days. Kudos to Ron Howard for not getting jealous out of this situation and understanding the popularity that Fonzie started getting. Howard was cast as the main character in Happy Days but Fonzie was the breakout star. At some point the producers wanted to rename the series to "Fonzie's Happy Days" but Henry Winkler returning the respect to Howard didnt accept the idea of renaming the show.
20070423-thefonze.jpg

I would say expanded as in screen time.
Those lines were said during his on screen time. I mean maybe a minute extra which isn't that much for a main character like him. Don't get me wrong I think he was great but if ur counting a few adlibbed lines for a main character as expanded screen time then most movies would have examples

Those lines were said during his on screen time. I mean maybe a minute extra which isn't that much for a main character like him. Don't get me wrong I think he was great but if ur counting a few adlibbed lines for a main character as expanded screen time then most movies would have examples

No fucking shit they were said during his fucking screen time. Without these lines he made up then he would be on screen less, therefore having less screen time if he did not ad lib them.
As far as if Kevin changed the script based on the actor as the movie went along, I don't know. Movies get edited and stuff gets lost. I would motherfucking bet that if it was another actor that Stu would have had less on air time.

No fucking shit they were said during his fucking screen time. Without these lines he made up then he would be on screen less, therefore having less screen time if he did not ad lib them.
As far as if Kevin changed the script based on the actor as the movie went along, I don't know. Movies get edited and stuff gets lost. I would motherfucking bet that if it was another actor that Stu would have had less on air time.
Lol calm down bro

I'm saying I don't think it really expanded his screen time much. Like i said maybe a minute. If I'm wrong that's cool but i would like to know. But a main character getting a few extra lines is really nothing to point out.

If a character has one line in the script and gets 5 lines then yeah that's a huge difference.

If a character like stu has a ton of lines and ad libs a few into the movie I hardly count that as an expanded role

It's a poor example on your part

Aaron Paul's Jesse Pinkman was supposed to die in the first season of Breaking Bad, bitch.

I read that the role of Agent Coulson was going to be a bit part in the Avengers movie but Clark Gregg did such a great job that they kept adding lines for him and now he is the star of the TV series. So that's pretty cool!!
He's been immortalized in comics as well.

Back