Active shooter situation in Fredericton, New Brunswick

On the CBC news the police announced the names of the officers who were killed but nothing more about the guy they nabbed. My memory is too poor to reproduce their names here but one of them was a woman. I know it's misogynistic to think that's somehow worse; I blame my residual ape brain.

Sigh. The only silver lining I can see here is this is still a far from routine occurrence (TO aside) and there's still time to figure out how to prevent it from getting that way.

Further to the above,

"Two police officers who were among four people killed in a shooting in Fredericton Friday morning have been identified as Lawrence Robert Costello, 45, and Sara Mae Helen Burns, 43.

Costello was a 20-year police veteran who is survived by his partner and four children. Burns joined the Fredericton Police Force in 2016 and leaves behind her husband and three children."
(RIP)

The names of the two civilians killed have not been released as next of kin still has to be notified, but police said at the news conference that they were a man and woman.

The 48-year-old suspect, who has not yet been identified, is in hospital and is being treated for serious injuries.

In Fredericton right now. Just came out that the shooter was just taken into custody. Pretty crazy scene. 2 officers and 3 civilians confirmed dead.

I feel wrong ''liking'' this post, but thanks for the update.

Further to the above,

"Two police officers who were among four people killed in a shooting in Fredericton Friday morning have been identified as Lawrence Robert Costello, 45, and Sara Mae Helen Burns, 43.

Costello was a 20-year police veteran who is survived by his partner and four children. Burns joined the Fredericton Police Force in 2016 and leaves behind her husband and three children."
(RIP)

The names of the two civilians killed have not been released as next of kin still has to be notified, but police said at the news conference that they were a man and woman.

The 48-year-old suspect, who has not yet been identified, is in hospital and is being treated for serious injuries.

Rest In Peace. Condolences to their families. I don't even want to imagine what they will be going through right now.

They have had the suspect in custody for around 10 hours and I've seen no information released about him or leaked. Several hours sometimes it takes, this long seems odd. Media knows right away through their law enforcement sources and staff in the jails and justice system. So usually you get rumors hours before any release. Nothing at all so far.

r

It's unfortunate he's still alive.

Well if the gut shot was painful enough and they didn't offer anything more than an ibuprofen maybe there's a silver lining

They have had the suspect in custody for around 10 hours and I've seen no information released about him or leaked. Several hours sometimes it takes, this long seems odd. Media knows right away through their law enforcement sources and staff in the jails and justice system. So usually you get rumors hours before any release. Nothing at all so far.
There's a less sensationalist attitude in this country, I think. The police are doing their jobs and the best way to do that without civilians getting in their way is to wait until they have no reason not to reveal information to do so.

There's a less sensationalist attitude in this country, I think. The police are doing their jobs and the best way to do that without civilians getting in their way is to wait until they have no reason not to reveal information to do so.

The last shooting in Toronto plenty of Canadian people were upset that they seemed to delay releasing the identity and information about the suspect because he was an Islamist and it certainly wasn't 10 hours. They even released some bs story written by an activist group saying he was mentally ill when they identified him.

Rest In Peace. Condolences to their families. I don't even want to imagine what they will be going through right now.
I sort of hate myself for this but I have developed a sort of defence mechanism such that when a story like this breaks, there's a part of me that automatically tells myself, well at least my chances of joining them are still really slim, lucky for me.

The last shooting in Toronto plenty of Canadian people were upset that they seemed to delay releasing the identity and information about the suspect because he was an Islamist and it certainly wasn't 10 hours. They even released some bs story written by an activist group saying he was mentally ill when they identified him.
That's Toronto. See my earlier post where I made a clear exception for Toronto.

That's Toronto. See my earlier post where I made a clear exception for Toronto.

Perhaps so, but to me, I've never understood delaying the release of the identity of the suspect in these cases. It only feeds conspiracies and causes harmful speculation. They should release the name of the suspect right away. As I said, media people already know who he is. They know as soon as he's arrested.

In some cases, withholding the identity has clearly been done for political reasons, such as what happened in San Bernardino. In other cases, they made sure to scrub the suspect's social media accounts, but sometimes they don't release it for no apparent reason

Perhaps so, but to me, I've never understood delaying the release of the identity of the suspect in these cases. It only feeds conspiracies and causes harmful speculation. They should release the name of the suspect right away. As I said, media people already know who he is. They know as soon as he's arrested.

In some cases, withholding the identity has clearly been done for political reasons, such as what happened in San Bernardino. In other cases, they made sure to scrub the suspect's social media accounts, but sometimes they don't release it for no apparent reason
Brainwave: the victims have not been identified pending notification of next of kin and according to our man on the spot, @Jfrizzle the victims and shooter were likely known to each other so most likely, if they identified the suspect, people would be able to guess at the identities of the victims.

Well if the gut shot was painful enough and they didn't offer anything more than an ibuprofen maybe there's a silver lining
Stick a finger in the bullet hole. If it wasn't painful enough before, it will be soon.

Back