Active Fighters As Commentators/Analyst

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 359865

I think it's awful! I understand that the UFC/FOX only do it so they could instigate shit between the fighters who are commentating and the fighters who are in the octagon, but the bias and the interests of active fighters who commentate kind of ruin the shows for me.

Take the whole Thompson/Woodley exchange for instance, you have the number one contender for the belt commentating on a bout between two potential future opponents, and when one of them wins he is the first to greet them. But while the UFC may have thought this would set up the next bout perfectly you have Woodley shutting it down and Thompson sitting their caught off guard by the fact that Woodley is ducking him for Nick.

Don't even get me started on Michael Bisping and Daniel Cormier, I dont see how they can properly speak on fighters and match ups when they each have their own agenda with being active fighters in the UFC. Most sports use retired athletes for a reason, they dont have an invested stock over who wins or loses, they can take a step back and look at the sport from an objective standpoint (for the most part). I know the NBA had Paul Pierce do a little bit of work in the playoffs but his career is almost over anyway.

So does this bother anyone else?

Depends on the fighter.

I love Dom Cruz as an analyst.

Cormier is actually really good in the studio.

Plus, bring back Lord Chael.

If they just had some random reporters as analysts, no one would be talking about them, because no one would watch.

You may not like them as analysts, but if Fox hired a bunch of Jon Anik-types, you wouldn't even care enough to comment--whether you liked them or not. They add to the drama, so you care.

Not ideal.... but i feel like its better than most of the retired guys. Dan Hardy aside.

Lets hear it TS, what would your fox lineup be?

fighter I want to see in the role of analyst

Nick Diaz
Mark Hunt
Anderson Silva (in english)
Clay Guida
Ben Rothwell

Depends on the fighter.

I love Dom Cruz as an analyst.
Even Dom shows bias though. Until fighters are retired, they have no business being taken seriously as analysts because they will try to cut promos and further their fighting career. It's not good for the sport.

Even Dom shows bias though. Until fighters are retired, they have no business being taken seriously as analysts because they will try to cut promos and further their fighting career. It's not good for the sport.

I don't recall Cruz doing any of that.

Not saying he doesn't, I just haven't witnessed it.

I don't recall Cruz doing any of that.

Not saying he doesn't, I just haven't witnessed it.
He has said Alpha fail about 50 times on Fox broadcasts. He is always talking about how far behind other fighters' footwork is in comparison to his. Just watch the next time he's on Fox Sports he'll pull some shit that disparages other fighters and/or refers to his own perceived superiority. Guy does it all of the time.

Frank Mir was really good at it. I wish they would have used him more.

There are few of anybody - fighters or otherwise- who can break down a fight and fighter better than DOM.
I don't have a problem with active fighters, everyone has an agenda.

If they just had some random reporters as analysts, no one would be talking about them, because no one would watch.

You may not like them as analysts, but if Fox hired a bunch of Jon Anik-types, you wouldn't even care enough to comment--whether you liked them or not. They add to the drama, so you care.
I didnt say the need Jon Anik types, I mean use RETIRED fighters! Like Chuck, Rich Franklin those guys

Doesn't bother me unless they suck, the fact that they're an active fighter or anything is irrelevant

Not ideal.... but i feel like its better than most of the retired guys. Dan Hardy aside.

Lets hear it TS, what would your fox lineup be?
Forrest Griffin could be entertaining, Ken Flow should be doing fights instead of just network shows, I also think Matt Hughes would be god as well.

Back