ACLU files brief in Support of NRA in New York lawsuit

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Lord Coke, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Lord Coke

Lord Coke Black Belt

I am surprised by this. I hope this is sign the ACLU is considering returning to its roots. Here is a copy of the brief

https://www.aclu.org/legal-document/nra-v-cuomo-aclu-amicus-brief

and a link to their press release

https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech/new-york-state-cant-be-allowed-stifle-nras-political-speech

2. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

Returning to its roots? Of what. The ACLU is remarkably consistent.

3. Ripskater

Ripskater Johnny Mac's friend Banned

I don't have much good to say about the ACLU. But every once in a while they get something right.

Staph infection and Bargey like this.
  4. luckyshot

luckyshot The ONLY iPotWR Platinum Member

They’ve filed briefs in favor of neo-Nazi groups, too.

ACLU does good work... somebody’s got to be the perpetual pain in the government’s ass.

The fact that the ACLU is seen as a liberal organization is telling about the priorities of the current political landscape.

5. Lord Coke

Lord Coke Black Belt

Advocating for free speech. They haven't done a lot of that in recent years. They are more focused on immigrants and transgender and gay rights nowadays. I am not saying the later are bad things but I prefer the litigation they did when they were zeroed in on free speech.

6. oldshadow

oldshadow Steel Belt

Well that's something but they still never fight for the 2nd.

GearSolidMetal likes this.
  7. Quipling

Quipling Red Belt

If you think that they haven't been advocating for free speech, you haven't been paying attention.

They don't publicize their speech cases as much because the "clients" tend to be pretty unpopular and keeping those out of focus avoids backlash, but they still do take those cases.

Also, better title: "ACLU sticking to their guns"

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  8. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

I had to reread that headline a few times, I found it quite hard to believe.

I was under the understanding that one of the ACLU's primary financial backers was someone who was bitterly anti-Second Amendment.

uppercutbus likes this.
  9. luckyshot

Despite every piece of NRA propaganda you imbibe, the 2nd is almost never even vaguely threatened.

(Remember when Obama was coming to take your guns...

for eight years....

And Sandy Hook was a hoax so Obama could cry... and take your guns?

What all came of that?

Record gun sales.

Nothing else.)

There is not a more paranoid group on the planet Earth than American gun owners. We have, by far, the most lax and permissive gun laws aaaaaaaaaannywhere in the civilized world, yet, somehow, ya’ll always under seige. Hmm. Let’s think about that.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  10. Lord Coke

Lord Coke Black Belt

You might have a point at the federal level but the incursion on our rights at the State level in California Maryland New York New Jersey and Hawaii is ongoing.

lifelessheap and uppercutbus like this.
  11. NoDak

NoDak Wagwan Bumboclaat?

The onesie, bruv. ACLU is the GOAT.

<21>

Lord Coke likes this.
  12. luckyshot

Hey, my dude, if a red states gets to pass a heartbeat bill banning abortion after like 20 days, blue states get to make you have a background check before getting an Uzi. States’ rights, emirite?

13. Lord Coke

Lord Coke Black Belt

While I understand that the ACLU has finite resources, my personal interactions with the ACLU in California and Hawaii have left me disappointed and I'll leave it at that.

uppercutbus likes this.
  14. Lord Coke

Lord Coke Black Belt

If your premise was correct I'd be more sympathetic to your position but this just came down the wire

• Alabama abortion law prohibits dismembering living 15- to 18-week-old fetuses; rather, fetuses must first be killed in utero and then dismembered and extracted. District court: The state's proposed methods of fetal demise are not feasible. The law is unconstitutional. Eleventh Circuit (reluctantly, and with two concurrences): That's so.
    http://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/files/201715208.pdf

uppercutbus likes this.
  15. floivanus

floivanus Purple Belt

You do realize there is true unfettered access to machineguns in many eastern european countries still?

Are we going to say they’re not civilized OR are they just not up to your civilization standards? We have tons of laws on the books, way more restrictions that many people realize AND droves of laws that make ZERO sense and do nothing.

There’s already a federal law covering that, it’s instantaneous, and rightfully doesn’t require a waiting period. But hey, the false failure rate is only 95%+ while letting criminals slip thru, because tons of states and federal agencies don’t do their jobs, but hey give big government more money and more power, eventually they’ll get it right.

And 1980 called, it wants it’s Uzi back

16. JJSBUR

JJSBUR Purple Belt

An Uzi is class three, there is a special check on is as well as a special tax and certificate required. This makes not sense. I think you meant to say something not covered by the NFA act. Since 1934 only three NFA covered title II firearms have been used in a crime and one was a police officer using one he was issued. Another was against a robber who was shot but turned away and ran.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  17. Lord Coke

Lord Coke Black Belt

They make semi automatic uzis and those are not class 3

18. ultramanhyata

ultramanhyata Gold Belt

As long as there are Walmart's we must remain ever vigilant. The declaration of marshal law and mass detainment can come at any moment.

19. JonesBones

JonesBones Excuse my contraflow

Not when they support Affirmative Action. Nope. Sorry. Maybe they should get in on the guy who lost a sponsorship because his dad said something bad before he was born.

The ACLU Racial Justice Program actively supports affirmative action to secure racial diversity in a number of settings to help ensure equal opportunities for all people. Affirmative action is one of the most effective tools for redressing the injustices caused by our nation’s historic discrimination against people of color and women, and for leveling what has long been an uneven playing field. A centuries-long legacy of racism and sexism has not been eradicated despite the gains made during the civil rights era. Avenues of opportunity for those previously excluded remain far too narrow. We need affirmative action now more than ever.

20. JJSBUR

JJSBUR Purple Belt

One being a closed bolt gun and the other being an open bolt gun is a significant difference. It is different enough that I wouldn't consider them to same gun.

An AR-15 and an M-16 are much closer being both closed bolt designs.

His choice of using an closed bolt semi Uzi as an example is pretty poor for his point. He was trying to be shocking but a the imported closed bolt gun semi Uzi becomes less useful than most pistol caliber carbines they just looks meaner. It is different in more ways then just mentioned but it is such a different gun that it is no longer the same gun beyond select fire capability. I would never want one for any purpose.

Again when he said Uzi it is obvious he was trying to paint the picture of the Uzi used by Israeli solders and the Secret Service but they are not the same and it makes an inferior dedicated semi auto.