ACL pre-op program

iomjames

White Belt
Reaction score
2-3 months till my ACL reconstruction and i'm trying to put together a program.
im currently doing starting strength but want to concentrate more on the legs..

I'll be working out in my garage (I have a squat stand, bench with leg extension and obviously barbell with weights)

Anyone recommend any exercises to do?

Also what sort of reps and sets should I be doing for maximum gains? I dont mind putting on some bodyfat so would supplementing with some mass gainer and eating loads benefit me.

Cheers

"selfcritical" is your man for this. He has posted some things in the past also that you might search on here.

It's hard to focus more on the legs than the starting strength novice program.

Has your PT prohibited anything for you?

I couldn't comfortably squat during my pre-hab, so I used a linear progression inspired by Power to the People and Dan john's 40 day program. I essentially deadlifted 4-5 days a week, along with repetition kettlebell swings every day. I aimed to be hitting my limit/over-reaching right when the surgery hit. I topped out literally the day before my surgery.

If i had to do it again, i would have aggressively tried to get back squat range of motion before surgery, and used a slightly more hypertrophy heavy volume progression. Giant hamstrings are handy for ACL rehab.

Dirty Holt has done this rehab 3 times and is a world class athlete. I'm a nerd who works in tech support and is kind of sort of good at kettlebell sport.

It's been over a year since I injured my knee so im quite comfortable squatting and deadlifting, I've asked and paid my PT to write me up a program but he seems to be too busy for it!!
Before the injury I trained in judo and mma, no weightlifting..

I had an ACL reconstruction in January, if anything i would recommend to strengthen your quads and hamstrings as much as possible. just make sure you don't favor the leg that you are having surgery on when you work out! as far as reps go, when i was getting ready for my surgery i did sets of 6-8 reps with burn sets in between.

Also, what kind of graft are you having done?

You definitely want to focus on strengthening your hamstring. The ACL prevents forward translation of the tibia. Since you don't have that the hamstrings will need to kick in to help prevent this now. Quad dominance could potentially exacerbate this since it will draw the tibia forward as it contracts.

As above. Also particularly useful if you're doing a hamstring graft and are anticipating significant atrophy. If i had to do it over again, i'd be doing something like the first two waves of inverted juggernaut with something akin to the WSFSB assistance template, and eat like a hippo for two months.

Chees guys, I think I would choose the patella autograft but I haven't spoke to my surgeon about it yet..
Is there anything to avoid? Someone told me I shouldn't be squatting with a torn acl and meniscus but it feels fine when squatting, even deep squatting and heavy squats.. For me anyway (100kg/220lbs)

Chees guys, I think I would choose the patella autograft but I haven't spoke to my surgeon about it yet..
Is there anything to avoid? Someone told me I shouldn't be squatting with a torn acl and meniscus but it feels fine when squatting, even deep squatting and heavy squats.. For me anyway (100kg/220lbs)

Is knee surgery even necessary?

Well all closed kinetic chain exercises are fine, but I want to return to judo and Mma and without surgery I would keep on re-injuring the knee

Well all closed kinetic chain exercises are fine, but I want to return to judo and Mma and without surgery I would keep on re-injuring the knee

Well if the ACL is already torn completely you can't retear. As opposed to a graft which can definitely tear.

Here's a program I've put together, let me know if there's anything you disagree with..

Warm up- 2 mins jump rope or 5 mins cycling

Sumo Deadlift 1x5
Normal Deadlift 1x5
Barbell hack squats 3x5
Scissor Jumps 2x10 (each leg)
Walking Lunges 4x10
Leg Extension 4x10
Hamstring Curl 4x10
Calf Raises 4x10

I've tried to add both strength and hypertrophy work in the workout, I've also bought some Optimum Nutrition serious mass in the hope that it would help supplement my calorie and protein intake for the day!

Any constructive criticism would be greatful.

Thanks

Jesus....when I blew my ACL, I couldn't even put any weight on the leg. Any type of lower body exercise was completely out of the question, except what I did in PT. I was in pain!

I was the same at first but I've been working on it for nearly a year now whilst I wait for my operation

I did starting strength for 5 months straight right up to the day before my surgery where I hit new squat and DL PR's. Learning to squat and building strength before surgery was the reason my recovery went well IMO.

If it doesnt hurt to squat, 20 rep squats is a pretty insane fast and hypertrophy focused program. With SLDL's or standard DL's you should be set to get as big as you can before surgery.

Learn the best form you can with the time you have. It's going to be a tough first month or two after the surgery but its 100% worth it, dont skimp on the rehab.

Good luck!

Back