Acid reflux when grappling

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whenever I have an intense BJJ session for my competition class (2+ hours), I get really bad stomach acid. It feels like I might need to puke, but HOURS after, I get bad heartburn. It sometimes last a day or two.

Anyone else get this problem? Pepto and Tums do NOTHING for it. Is there anything I can do to prevent it? I usually eat yogurt or pudding about an hour before I go, that way I don't puke.

Ask your doctor for prevacid when i used to have stomach problems i took one of those a day and it worked wonders. Pepto and tums really are not for that you can try pepcid AC cause thats more of an anti-acid and thats also over the counter as well

The thing is, I don't have problems with it, other than after intense grappling sessions.

That is definetly bizarre I would definetly talk to your doctor about this then as that might be indicative of a larger problem maybe a small ulcer or something that would not bother you unless your pushing yourself or moving your stomach around in strange ways.

It has happened 3x now within the past 2 months. If I am just doing a normal BJJ class, I don't have a problem. When it is 2 hours of non-stop moving, that is when I have problems.

It would make sense if you have just a small problem nonstop rolling will exagerate it i found this:
Why do I get heartburn when I exercise?
Anything that increases the pressure inside the abdomen, such as strenuous exercise, heavy lifting or straining, will indirectly increase the pressure in the stomach. This increase in pressure is often enough to push stomach fluid past a weakened sphincter and up into the esophagus, resulting in heartburn.
http://www.robertsewellmd.com/qa_gerd.htm

Foxx_MMA said:
Ask your doctor for prevacid when i used to have stomach problems i took one of those a day and it worked wonders. Pepto and tums really are not for that you can try pepcid AC cause thats more of an anti-acid and thats also over the counter as well

You can also try Prilosec...it's the over the counter version of prevacid and all those proton inhibitors. But like someone else said...you should have this looked at.

I just found this:

Gastroesophageal reflux (GER): Distance runners frequently suffer from heartburn during training or racing. Unfortunately, little research has been directed toward this problem.

The esophagus is a muscular tube with a sphincter at the lower end. Normally, contractions of the muscles in the wall of the esophagus ensure that whatever we swallow moves down toward the stomach. Contraction of the sphincter then prevents gastric contents from coming back up. During exercise, both of these processes can be impaired by the increase in intra-abdominal pressure, which can result in the reflux of acidic stomach contents into the esophagus.

There are few effective remedies for this common problem. The most important step that sufferers can take is to avoid the things that are known to relax the lower esophageal sphincter. These include caffeine, alcohol and smoking. The use of chewable antacids or over the counter acid reducing medication may provide some relief. However I cannot recommend either of these as no studies have ever been done to address their efficacy or side-effects during exercise. For the most part, exercise induced GER causes only mild, self-limited symptoms and is not known to cause any long-term problems.

Basically, there isn't much research and not much I can do about it.

I use to have this to sometimes, the acid not the heartburn..
As long as I dont puke on my sparingpartner im cool with it.. It also seems like I feel it less the more I grapple..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back