achilles tendon fun

yocan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Saw the doc, he said I'm not "hurt" just tight and sore, and should take a little time off. ok doing that mostly anyways.

Since I was last on here I've gained 15 lbs maybe a few more haven't been on a scale in a bit. I've gotten a lot stronger but wasn't doing any real speed work until 2 weeks ago. played ultimate frisbee, kept up with the fastest kid in the league. next two days my achilles tendons (right one in particular but both) hurt like crazy.

I'm getting faster, I need to get faster, I'm 6'5" I ought to be the fastest person around, I workout 6 to 8 times a week, running 3 to 4. I'm getting ready to go to afghanistan so I have some serious motivation to improve. I have a serious aversion to avoidable deaths. and death in general (don't mind dyingn but bleeding out sounds like a bad time)

Docs advice calf raises..... I laughed at him. I've never seen anyone do the weight I do on those (i'm sure there are exceptions, but apparently 250 lbs is a good bit added on to my weight) any suggestions on how to strengthen it up. I was doing basically sprints for an hour + and now I'm kinda limping cause it doesn't move smoothly until I've gone a 100 yds.walking.

would something like calf raise toes pointed out, then toes pointed in help stengthen this up or am I just going to have to keep doing this and keep getting stronger and it will catch up shortly? Everytime I've had a problem yall have given good advice so thanks in advance.

Lulz Going to Afghanistan eh? With what unit? Good luck with that and stay safe bro. As far as your injury goes I bet you went to a military doc and they gave you a profile. I think it's funny that you would come on here to get real advice on what to do about it. Funny because I do the same thing.

If you are in the military I would look at the boots you wearing. Some of them such at the Rocky S2V are notorious for causing Achilles problems. Are you rucking a lot? That could be a heavy contributor.

Lulz Going to Afghanistan eh? With what unit? Good luck with that and stay safe bro. As far as your injury goes I bet you went to a military doc and they gave you a profile. I think it's funny that you would come on here to get real advice on what to do about it. Funny because I do the same thing.

If you are in the military I would look at the boots you wearing. Some of them such at the Rocky S2V are notorious for causing Achilles problems. Are you rucking a lot? That could be a heavy contributor.
right but I"m a reservist got back from SOI 2 weeks ago. So to give my shins a break.. I haven't worn boots in 2 weeks. I was wearing borrowed football cleats. I was planning on doing my first boots run today. I'm not that fast 19:10 for 3 miles in a raceI ran . 2 times this week before ultimate frisbee (if you don't play its like soccer on your body without idiots slidetackling you, andn more cotinous running). I ran 3 miles and did the marsoc short card for my cardio work. ran my 2 fastest training 3 mile runs consecutively (on saturday one monday I know 22:43 isn't that fast but for a continous pace no sprinting at all run for me its my fastest ever)

Perhaps wearing cleats that weren't mine could contribute.

BTW I like my altimas a lot USMC 1/24 next year september, They are trying to get me in with 1/23 out of Texas due my job closed down and I'm worried about being a Marine, never deploying and the war ending I'd feel like such a fucktard. I mean 6 years in the corps with 2 wars going on and you never deployed WTF?

right but I"m a reservist got back from SOI 2 weeks ago. So to give my shins a break.. I haven't worn boots in 2 weeks. I was wearing borrowed football cleats. I was planning on doing my first boots run today. I'm not that fast 19:10 for 3 miles in a raceI ran . 2 times this week before ultimate frisbee (if you don't play its like soccer on your body without idiots slidetackling you, andn more cotinous running). I ran 3 miles and did the marsoc short card for my cardio work. ran my 2 fastest training 3 mile runs consecutively (on saturday one monday I know 22:43 isn't that fast but for a continous pace no sprinting at all run for me its my fastest ever)

Perhaps wearing cleats that weren't mine could contribute.

BTW I like my altimas a lot USMC 1/24 next year september, They are trying to get me in with 1/23 out of Texas due my job closed down and I'm worried about being a Marine, never deploying and the war ending I'd feel like such a fucktard. I mean 6 years in the corps with 2 wars going on and you never deployed WTF?

It happens. Being a Marine reservist I wouldn't think there would be a lot of opportunities to deploy. Don't worry there is enough war to go around. I'm sure we will be engaged in another conflict in the near future. You have plenty of time to train up for combat. Don't turn a little problem into a big one by agitating it. Your comrades need you to be 100% when you go down range. You will have plenty of time to fuck your body up running around in the mountains in Afghanistan.

Anyway you're right about wearing someone else's cleats. As far as the activity unless you are doing something wrong I don't see a problem with what you are doing. You may want to rest it though I would say a week or two.

Its probably mostly from wearing cleats, go to Academy sports and get some 30-40 dollar running shoes if you are going to be training.

Its probably mostly from wearing cleats, go to Academy sports and get some 30-40 dollar running shoes if you are going to be training.

thats kinda what I was thinking. Wearing my mizunos (more than 40 bucks) I can't play frisbee/soccer I slide and I'm so flexible I pinch the tendons in the front of my ankle. and cleats also allow direct force applied to the ground which is good for developing max speed/strength. This was the second time playing frisbee since getting back from cali (I usually play every wednesday)

I'm thinking no frisbee next week then after that, getting my own cleats.

[...] I've gained 15 lbs [...] wasn't doing any real speed work until 2 weeks ago. [...] I workout 6 to 8 times a week, running 3 to 4.
[...] I was doing basically sprints for an hour + [...]

Sounds like too much too soon from where I'm standing.

Docs advice calf raises..... I laughed at him. I've never seen anyone do the weight I do on those (i'm sure there are exceptions, but apparently 250 lbs is a good bit added on to my weight) any suggestions on how to strengthen it up.

I have no experience with how these can help with your achilles tendon. BBers train their calves by doing standing calf raises explosively (taking advantage of the stretch reflex) in order to target the gastrocnemius, and seated calf raises slowly (without any SSC contribution) to target the soleus. Maybe you could try that to see if it helps at all.

Sounds like too much too soon from where I'm standing.

maybe but 15 lbs was over 3 months and I'm still not the heaviest I've ever been while in shape. and I was running a lot already I"m only doing 1 speed workout a week with this. everything else was already there. the 11s do I'm up he sees me I'm down a lot. Machine gunners.... we don't really sprint. realistically I should gain another 10 lbs for carryinig my 240B up a mountain at my height. you might be right about an hour of frisbee being too much.

though in retrospect my hip popping and loosening up on monday I think made my stride a little longer. that probably compounded everything dramatically....... so obviously chill out anyone have any strengthening suggestions or anything like that?

Last edited:
Use some kind of heel lift on the foot that hurts in your everyday street shoes or boots. I have Achilles tendinosis but I refuse to stop training. Adding that little bit of lift helps during the day. I usually train through it and after warming up the pain subsides.

Back