Achilles Crush Danger?

MongoMudd

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have heard that there is no "catch" in an achilles crush, just a pain move. Is this true, and if so, is there any injury danger if you don't tap from this?

there is a very subtle difference between an achillies and a straight ankle lock.

an achillies is just pain. an ankle lock will jack your anlke up.

as far as "crushing" the achillies.... if yu roll with he-man it might happen, but mortals won't be able to do it to you.

tap to it early...if you don't, it might never be the same again. Trust me on this. :icon_sad:

bas doesn't know what he is talking about when he says things like oh its just a pain sub

I got caught in an achilles for the first time maybe 2 months ago by my instructor. Instead of tapping or rolling I let him throw it in deep. I wanted to see how much pain I could take on my achilles.

I learned 2 things: #1 I can take more pain then I thought and #2 That was a very dumb idea.

It's important to test your physical and mental boundries from time to time but my foot felt like the hold was on at all times for like the next 3 weeks and then faded slowly. I think my achilles was bruised.
Be careful because there is no protection for your achilles.

I didnt tap from one. Tore my achilles where it attached to my calf muscle. Be careful with those.

l_cc56737b6fddb5ded7b14dcb102bff6d.jpg

A VERY, VERY important rule- don't be ignorant to pain. It's there for you to use as a tool.

It is definitely not just pain.

You will eventually tear your achilles as shown in the picture above. You need to tap from it.

I didnt tap from one. Tore my achilles where it attached to my calf muscle. Be careful with those.

l_cc56737b6fddb5ded7b14dcb102bff6d.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

How is it now? What did the doctors have you do? Surgery? Physical Therapy?

I've seen some serious muscle spasms from them, the kind that put you on crutches for a few days. My policy is if i feel dull pain i'm fine if i feel sharp pain, tap.

Dude pain doesn't just hurt for no reason, if it hurts enough that means something's getting F-ed up

:eek::eek::eek:

How is it now? What did the doctors have you do? Surgery? Physical Therapy?

I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he said the tear was minor. I couldn't walk really for 2 days. Didn't sleep much. This happened the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I didnt train again until the end of December and even then it hurt. As far as therapy. I just did it myself. Just stretched it so it would heal good. I also had it treated with a cold laser, t to increase blood flow and speed healing. Needless to say, it hurt like hell. I have a permanent discoloration and bruise looking thing on my achilles. I tap from straight foot locks now even when I let the 14 year old kid in class throws one on me.

Interesting...

It is always better to tap away, rather than be sidelined and can't play.

You need to tap early. Even if you are not really caught you should probably do it anyway. It is not like an armlock where you will feel an increasing amount of pain, a leglock will not hurt and then it will snap all of the sudden. I hope your foot alright. I would go see the doc and see what he says.

Back