Account of The Rickson Gracie Vs. Yoji Anjo Fight

I never met Anjo but he's one of the few japanese wrestlers who traveled all the way to England to study at the Snake pit. From what I heard he's the kind of guy who lacks the mental game and can only perform in the gym. So I think Anjo didn't expect a real fight to take place but rather a sparring session if there would be any grappling.
Maybe that's why people saw him as such a great coach though his competitive record wasn't so great.

Last edited:
He lived in New Zealand from 6 till 11. After gaining self consciousness, before forming adolescence traits, the best 5 years of life for learning another language without losing what you were born with.
Wrong. It's actually my specialty. Teenagers learn new languages the fastest. The whole notion that kids learn a language faster than adults is based on shoddy research that got extrapolated into the broader psychological concept of "critical period." Due to metalingusitic awareness, given the same amount of exposure to a second language, an adult will learn much faster than a child. AMA. This was the topic of my master's report (Factors affecting native like pronunciation in a second language).

Wrong. It's actually my specialty. Teenagers learn new languages the fastest. The whole notion that kids learn a language faster than adults is based on shoddy research that got extrapolated into the broader psychological concept of "critical period." Due to metalingusitic awareness, given the same amount of exposure to a second language, an adult will learn much faster than a child. AMA. This was the topic of my master's report (Factors affecting native like pronunciation in a second language).

What about spoken accents?

Maybe that's why people saw him as such a great coach though his competitive record wasn't so great.

I have no idea about that.

I also started thinking that one of the reasons they sent someone like Anjo was because he speaks english fluently. I really don't think they expected a fight to take place at the gym. I think they more likely expected a scenario were Anjo would have to display that they were doing legit grappling in Japan and not worked pro wrestling.

I have no idea about that.

I also started thinking that one of the reasons they sent someone like Anjo was because he speaks english fluently. I really don't think they expected a fight to take place at the gym. I think they more likely expected a scenario were Anjo would have to display that they were doing legit grappling in Japan and not worked pro wrestling.
I mean, I don't have a firsthand idea about Anjo's coaching. But judging by Sakuraba, Tamura, Kanehara, etc., he was pretty good. And just the fact that his former under-studies vouch for him says a lot.

As far as Rickson, I think he just went because the UWFi was floundering financially and had also lost face publicly. Their feud with New Japan, though successful, was one-sided in the larger promotions favor and hurt the UWFi's credibility. UWFi marketed themselves as being more real than NJPW and coming out on the losing end of promotion versus promotion feud shattered that. Takada had publicly called out Rickson and Rickson turned him down, stating he didn't want to do professional wrestling. The UWFi probably didn't want to risk sending Takada and losing face even more than they already had. Anjoh was a safer bet at that point and most thought he was actually tougher when push came to shove anyways.

All in all, the whole Rickson thing was about saving face for the UWFi.

I should add, Kiyoshi Tamura had left around this time as well, not wanting to cross-promote with NJPW. So I mean, that's another major blow. Tamura joined RINGs, giving them a huge push and robbing the UWFi of its biggest young star and the guy who was supposed to succeed Takada. They were not in a good place.

What about spoken accents?
Same. There are a number of factors. Basically, kids just have more opportunities to practice, are less self conscious about mistakes, get formal education in language 2, and less exposure to language 1.

Adults usually have more exposure to language 1, less opportunity for formal education, etc.

It's mostly a matter of reps.

People that are musically inclined do better as well.

>> one of the reasons they sent someone like Anjo was because he speaks english fluently.

Partially true. Anjo traveled to U.S. specially in Midwest area to recruit fighters for UFWi and that was his job. Negotiating a fight with rickson was going to be another happy yuppie business trip for him but his colleague/supervisor Miyato prepared him a special scenario that changed his destiny. That was to physically challenge rickson gracie at the dojo so gracie would be pressured by the circumstance to sign the contract with UWFi. Rickson says Anjo came with an interpreter (in fact Anjo was his interpreter) so I don't think Anjo had an opportunity to demonstrate superior English skill that night.

They recorded the fight and yori nakamura got a copy in VHS before leaving for Japan so vtj committee could view and witness.

In my personal opinion, Miyato did expect a fight and wanted Anjo to lose badly.

To answer the linguistic queation------'

If we compare elementary school students and secondary school students from Poland or Hungary in building larger English vocabulary in the same given time, the winner would easily be the latter. And that's not what I had discussed in my previous post. For someone like Anjo to acquire permanent foundation of an indo-european language including perfect fluency and native functionality, adolescence period would be too late. FACT.

Same. There are a number of factors. Basically, kids just have more opportunities to practice, are less self conscious about mistakes, get formal education in language 2, and less exposure to language 1.

Adults usually have more exposure to language 1, less opportunity for formal education, etc.

It's mostly a matter of reps.

People that are musically inclined do better as well.

Is the idea that you learn languages better by starting earlier really just a matter of reps?

For example I teach my daughter Spanish by speaking one hour a day. My daughter that I started at 2 will be better than my daughter I started at 14 not because of age but because the daughter at two gets a ton more reps? And that of both daughters got the same reps, the daughter at 14 would learn better?

Is the idea that you learn languages better by starting earlier really just a matter of reps?

For example I teach my daughter Spanish by speaking one hour a day. My daughter that I started at 2 will be better than my daughter I started at 14 not because of age but because the daughter at two gets a ton more reps? And that of both daughters got the same reps, the daughter at 14 would learn better?
Not only that, but the 14 year old will learn FASTER due to metalinguistic awareness. In other words, she already has her first language fully intact, more or less, and can use the concept of how languages work to learn the second language faster. She'll get concepts more quickly, understand the concept of root words, stems, prefixes and suffixes, parts of speech, and will learn grammatical structures more quickly.

Also I might add-- since you're on F12, you might have heard people talk about Mackenzie Dern and how her accent has changed through the years-- a lot of people think it's fake or affected. It's actually completely normal. Languages tend to interfere with each other, especially when it comes to phonetics. If two languages have vowel sounds that are similar but not exactly the same, whichever language is the language of greater exposure at the moment will bleed over into pronunciation of the other language, and vice versa. I'll give a personal example. My second language is Japanese. I didn't start learning it until I was 18, but I always had a knack for it, especially the pronunciation. The notorious screwup for Japanese people speaking English is mixing up of R and L. The Japanese sound is somewhere in between, and it takes a lot of exposure for Japanese speakers to be able to hear the difference (as an interesting aside, the best way to teach correct pronunciation is actually to teach the ability to HEAR the difference through a technique called minimal pairs; once a speaker can discriminate between hearing the the two sounds, pronunciation has a tendency to self correct).

BUT, it goes the other way as well. As a native speaker of English, I surprised the shit out of myself when, after living in Japan for a while, I would sometimes substitute R for L or L for R when speaking English. It's bizarre, and I would always get a laugh out of it. I don't use my Japanese much these days, but if I took a trip to Japan for a couple weeks or a month, or if I were exposed to a lot more Japanese, I'll start to do that again spontaneously in speech occasionally. It's a really weird phenomenon. It turns out that foreign accent, or even accent in one's native tongue, is a pretty fluid thing.

There's actually a cooking show, if you can find it on youtube, of this black lady from Louisiana that has been in England for 30 years or so, teaching Cajun cooking. She has the funniest accent. Not Louisiana, not British, but something in between. It's not that she's being fake, this is actually completely normal.

>> one of the reasons they sent someone like Anjo was because he speaks english fluently.

Partially true. Anjo traveled to U.S. specially in Midwest area to recruit fighters for UFWi and that was his job. Negotiating a fight with rickson was going to be another happy yuppie business trip for him but his colleague/supervisor Miyato prepared him a special scenario that changed his destiny. That was to physically challenge rickson gracie at the dojo so gracie would be pressured by the circumstance to sign the contract with UWFi. Rickson says Anjo came with an interpreter (in fact Anjo was his interpreter) so I don't think Anjo had an opportunity to demonstrate superior English skill that night.

They recorded the fight and yori nakamura got a copy in VHS before leaving for Japan so vtj committee could view and witness.

In my personal opinion, Miyato did expect a fight and wanted Anjo to lose badly.

To answer the linguistic queation------'

If we compare elementary school students and secondary school students from Poland or Hungary in building larger English vocabulary in the same given time, the winner would easily be the latter. And that's not what I had discussed in my previous post. For someone like Anjo to acquire permanent foundation of an indo-european language including perfect fluency and native functionality, adolescence period would be too late. FACT.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. You're in my field now. See my other comments in this thread.

Yeah, old news, Yoji pretty much sucked anyway. It’s not like Coleman or Frye stormed Rickson’s. I doubt Rickson would be so gung ho if it was them.

Rickson didn’t give too fucks about it… he fought guys with much size than him, and guys who were fighters not just grapplers, fucking Royce took on severn, do you actually think rickson would’ve been scared? Could’ve gone either way? Yep, but to say rickson was scared it’s quite silly… dude probably though he was god in earth…

I don’t know about that… I’ve been exposed to tons of hours of guarani (the other official lenguage of my country) and I can’t speak it, hardly understand it… it’s the same case with pretty much anyone who hasn’t learned it form chillhood… basically if you don’t grown up un a house where guaraní is spoken, it’s very hard to pick it once you grow up

Rickson didn’t give too fucks about it… he fought guys with much size than him, and guys who were fighters not just grapplers, fucking Royce took on severn, do you actually think rickson would’ve been scared? Could’ve gone either way? Yep, but to say rickson was scared it’s quite silly… dude probably though he was god in earth…

I think if Coleman or Frye invaded Rickson’s dojo, Rickson would have no choice but to fight them, and he would, but I don’t think he’d be pumped up to do it as both Coleman and Frye had enough takedown experience to stay on their feet or get on top. Scared is a harsh term, I think Rickson would not be as confident as opposed to Anjoh.

I think if Coleman or Frye invaded Rickson’s dojo, Rickson would have no choice but to fight them, and he would, but I don’t think he’d be pumped up to do it as both Coleman and Frye had enough takedown experience to stay on their feet or get on top. Scared is a harsh term, I think Rickson would not be as confident as opposed to Anjoh.

Rickson wasn’t afraid of trading punches man… at all… and he fought big ass dudes in the past… would’ve been happy to fight them? I don’t know but he sure as fuck wasn’t going to back down

Rickson wasn’t afraid of trading punches man… at all… and he fought big ass dudes in the past… would’ve been happy to fight them? I don’t know but he sure as fuck wasn’t going to back down

He wouldn't back down, no, not in front of his students in his own academy. That said, who did he trade punches with that had good hands and takedown defense? He threw hands to distract and shoot in. Heck, even Royler told Rickson backstage in his prospective bout with Hayes, Royler said "If you try to punch and kick with him, you'll lose." Meaning, if Rickson had to stand and bang, as in, if he couldn't take someone down, he'd most likely get KO'ed. With Anjoh, Rickson knew he could take Yoji down.

You wouldn't necessarily say that against Colemen or Frye, that said, I can see Rickson allowing the takedown and working guard, but with Coleman on top? Headbutts? That'd be rough. Rickson needed 30 minutes to take out Schultz, and that was with no striking at all.

Last edited:
He wouldn't back down, no, not in front of his students in his own academy. That said, who did he trade punches with that had good hands and takedown defense? He threw hands to distract and shoot in. Heck, even Royler told Rickson backstage in his prospective bout with Hayes, Royler said "If you try to punch and kick with him, you'll lose." Meaning, if Rickson had to stand and bang, as in, if he couldn't take someone down, he'd most likely get KO'ed. With Anjoh, Rickson knew he could take Yoji down.

You wouldn't necessarily say that against Colemen or Frye, that said, I can see Rickson allowing the takedown and working guard, but with Coleman on top? Headbutts? That'd be rough. Rickson needed 30 minutes to take out Schultz, and that was with no striking at all.

well prime Kerr couldn’t do much to gurgel either, and gurgel wasn’t the most experienced fighter at the time, a fresh no experienced Coleman wouldn’t be able to beat rickson, I have no doubt that 99 Coleman would’ve fucked up rickson

I don’t know about that… I’ve been exposed to tons of hours of guarani (the other official lenguage of my country) and I can’t speak it, hardly understand it… it’s the same case with pretty much anyone who hasn’t learned it form chillhood… basically if you don’t grown up un a house where guaraní is spoken, it’s very hard to pick it once you grow up

Have you ever been in a work, educational, family, or other setting where that was the only or primary language you were exposed to, AND you were expected to learn and speak it?

Have you ever been in a work, educational, family, or other setting where that was the only or primary language you were exposed to, AND you were expected to learn and speak it?
Yep… I travelled 27 years ago to the states as an exchange student to learn English… that’s where my English comes from… fuck I’m old…

it also depends on the lenguage.. English is a much easier language to learn that guarani…guaraní is not easy.

>> With Anjoh, Rickson knew he could take Yoji down.

I'm not sure about it. All gracie fighters would go for takedown first then decide their second move depending on the initiate reactions. Rickson's takedown skill level (rio state wrestling champion according to the family source) was exposed by Hayward Nishioka (aka judo nip).

- were you confident to take down takada? (Post PRIDE1 FIGHT)

RG: I GOT LUCKY.

In my opinion, Anjo would have gotten got his back on the mat no matter what he'd done. Anjo could beat most world class wrestlers in dojo by submission but he wasn't a great wrestler himself. Uninformed rickson who was simulating to work from guard took advantage of Anjo's mistake for throwing a lazy round house kick.

>> Rickson needed 30 minutes to take out Schultz, and that was with no striking at all

Some say 30 minutes and others say 45 minutes and wasn't Pedro Sauer saying the phone call from Schulz's wife asking why their son's not getting picked up from school ended the spar?

Rickson wouldn't have fought coleman, Kerr, Frye, or erikson. He also declined to fight sperry, ogawa and sakuraba.

Carlson gracie Sr said rickson would beat anyone in the list only if Rorion did not expose the family secret to the 1st world media by UFC.

- my special field blah blah

Sorry but I won't pay a visit to your corn field because it stinks. Don't be an arrogant prick and don't expect other forum members to share the limitless "reserch" time you enjoy. My argument was Anjo spent the right 5 years in an English speaking country for the purpose that served him. You just verbally denied what I said without "trying" to show any proof or reasoning. If you are who you claim you are, there could've been a better explanation or decent counter argument to induce my further explaination to specific details.

If you just wanna brag about your beautiful degree or whatever the socially accredited intellectual quality you think you own, too bad you're in the wrong place.

Back