AC Joint Injury

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by kenny2009, Jul 18, 2010.

1. kenny2009

kenny2009 White Belt

Hi I'm not to sure if this is where I'm supposed to port this I'm just new to the forum, I'm 23 been training in Thai for 6 months or so, around 2 months ago I had to stop training due to a Grade 3 AC joint injury, I haven't had surgery and only recently started to workout again on my own. I have been using light weights to try and start working on my shoulders slowly, but the pain when tryin to do a pushup is unreal, anybody know a time-scale when I should be able to train in thai again and have any workout tips to help me get back to full strength again it would be much appreciated thanks!

2. Judokai1

Judokai1 White Belt

I tore my ac and it took around 8 months for it to be somewhat comfortable again. Its been almost 6 years and still gets sore every morning. it is definitely the type of injury that lingers.Luckily i can just call up the doc and get cortisone shot that lasts about 6-8 months

3. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

don't push it to hard or else you might just re-hurt yourself. Just come back slow and work on exercises that do not use that AC joint. Good Luck.

4. ozbrawler

ozbrawler Orange Belt

i did a similar injury and it still lingers nearly ten months after. for the last 4 weeks after having 9 weeks off it has been alot better. i bought a thera band (big rubber band) and do different exercises 4 teimes a week with that to help strengthen the shoulder. it works cause you can put the arm/shoulder in a position you cant with dumbell or barbell.

5. dat1978

dat1978 Brown Belt

hurt mine like 2.5 years ago. rested it for a couple weeks, then light duty for maybe 4 more. has felt pretty good till last week when i aggravated it in bjj class. i'm gonna rest it this week and see how it feels. i need to get some of those rubber band things to do strengthening excercises more often.

6. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

Be ready for it to take a long ass time to get near 90% of what it once was.

Have anyone told you that punching is okay but that missing is bad? You may want to be very careful when you shadowbox etc.

Read up on some shoulder pre/rehab - This used to be a popular link back when this was the S&P: YouTube - DieselCrew.com - Shoulder Rehab Protocol

Also, if you do any kind of lifting, make sure your technique is right - bad bench pressing with flaring elbows and the bar over your head will do horrible horrible things to injury prone shoulders. Same goes for push-ups - make sure you do them right (elbows in and so on).

Be careful with wide grip pull-ups - I reinjured my shoulder when I tried to get going on the pull-ups again. It felt like my shoulder got pulled apart inside and had me worried for a month or so.

7. kenny2009

kenny2009 White Belt

Seems to be a problem that will never really go away going by the research I have done :icon_cry2

8. Dafreeclinic

Dafreeclinic Orange Belt

I have a separated shoulder as well its like a 1 or 2 so its not as bad. Ice alot maybe get a shoulder immobilizer, dont pick up anything off the ground with that arm it definitely is the thing that gives me the most pain. I have been overhead pressing and thats seemed to help me so far. I have noticed iceing it before going to bed makes it hurt in the moning.