abs only at <10% body fat?

bellator

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I read somewhere that you can only see your abs when your body fat in below 10% ?!
However the recommended body fat percentage for men is like 14-20%. Can someone shed some light on this please?

I read somewhere that you can only see your abs when your body fat in below 10% ?!
However the recommended body fat percentage for men is like 14-20%. Can someone shed some light on this please?

Sure. Don't fucking worry about it. :icon_twis

In all seriousness, "who" is recommending 14-20%, and why do they state that that amount of excess adipose tissue is healthy?

Low bf% is only a small part of the overall equation of what defines fitness; as far as aesthetics, yes, it's a general rule of thumb that visualizing the rectus abdominus usually on happens at sub-10% BF levels.

Yup, I've heard the <10% many times as well. 14-20% is BS - MikeMartial is spot on.

I think they mean that having ABOVE 14 to 20% is UNhealthy...remember that 95% of stuff you'll hear about health and fitness on a day to day basis is aimed towards fat slobs.

In my experience, you're only approaching "unhealthy" levels of body fat if you get below 5%. And that's pretty unlikely unless you're cutting weight, or anorexic.

Man I take "official" nutrition advice like that with a grain of salt. I always hear inaccurate food health/weight loss advice on the radio and half the time it's completely wrong!

You have to have abs first though, otherwise you won't see shit.

Thanks for clearing that up. My body fat is around 17% so i guess no abs for me for a long time. lol

thats BS, i have clearly defined abs and am far from sub 10% BF. either that or i have a very unforgiving mirror. i can still grab a handful of backfat, so i think its BS.

thats BS, i have clearly defined abs and am far from sub 10% BF. either that or i have a very unforgiving mirror. i can still grab a handful of backfat, so i think its BS.

I have less fat on my back than in front of my abs, by a long shot, but there's times when I can see my abs... Not that such things really matter. For the most part though, I feel good about where I am in fitness, although I should do more conditionin'. It's just a matter of do I have the time. I'm comfortable with the fact that my six-pack is still in the cooler. It doesn't hinder my ability to punch, kick, or wrestle, so I'm not worried about it.

I'd say for a clearly defined 6 pack that is probably a somewhat decent benchmark. Of course people will vary, but that sounds somewhat close.

I definately think it's 10% and below as far as a visual thing. I just got down to 10% bf from around 14% and I"m still not happy with my abs although you can see them well. That being said, I think as someone said earlier 10% is the benchmark and the very beginning of having super defined abs. I'm now shooting for 7-8% bf.

Body fat distribution will still vary from person to person.

I'm at about 7%, tested 4 months ago. I don't have a 6-pack or anything but yes you can see some definition.

Body fat distribution will still vary from person to person.

My thoughts exactly. The 10% number may be a fair benchmark but it's also got to do with your individual genetics and how and where you carry your fat. I was at 8% once and while you could see where my abs were they weren't really defined. I just carry what fat I have right at my waist so the best I could ever do was a four pack. I had the "Red Bull" of abs. Sheesh.

Back