Abridged Submission Encyclopedia (Help Needed!)

in8oo

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a student currently working on an independent research project for my Anatomy & Physiology class and am in need of assistance. For my project, I am creating an abridged (no-gi) submission encyclopedia briefly describing the anatomy and mechanics of common submission techniques.

For example:

4.2 - Ankle Lock
Alternate Name(s): Straight Ankle Lock
Description: A leglock applied to any joint in the ankle.
Anatomy: Isolates and attacks the talocrural/mortise joint in the ankle. This joint is a hinge/gliding joint formed by the articulating of the tibia and the fibula with the proximal end of the talus bone in the foot.
Mechanics: Submission works by hyperextending the talocrural joint through plantar hyperflexion. This may also simultaneously cause a compression lock to the Achilles tendon and/or calf muscle (see section 5.0 - Compression Locks).

At present, my table of contents/outline is as follows:

1.0 INTRODUCTION
1.1 Preface
1.2 FAQs

2.0 CHOKES
2.1 Introduction
2.2 Air Chokes
2.2.1 Ezekiel
2.2.2 Gearlock
2.2.3 Gogoplata
2.2.4 Guillotine
2.2.5 Locoplata
2.3 Blood Chokes
2.3.1 Arm Triangle
2.3.2 Anaconda
2.3.3 D

Cool - I'd be interested in seeing the results when you've finished. I've been building a general BJJ glossary for my blog, although I don't think that's got the level of detail you're looking for: either way, feel free to use what info you can from that. I get the impression I'll be more interested in using yours, though. :wink:

Honestly your best bet is some sort of wiki format. If you hadn't mentioned it was a school project(and maybe still), you could have duped some of us into filling it out for you!

Brilliant plan, one that I would follow up on myself if I wasn't so god damn lazy. One of the key concepts I have had over the years is that there are only so many ways the human body works and by attacking a joint based on how it moves, you be much more effective and creative.

I tend to group techniques in the following hierarchy

Limb-Joint-joint motion

For example a classic armbar would look like this
arm-elbow-overextenstion of the elbow

Once you apply that idea to everything you realize that a lot of different techniques are really just different way of applying the same lock. Examples that would fit the above classification are:
Classic armbar (juji gatame)
Inverted armbar (Ude gatame)
Hiza gatame
Waki gatame
Kannuki Gatame

The same physiological principle apply to all the techniques. To properly apply all those techniques the arm should be more or less in the exact same orientation to achieve maximum effect. Accordingly, you could group those together as a sub group. (you can also save time on the physiogical side because they will be the same for every technique).

Wow, I'm sure that most of us that roll would be interested in your project when it's finished. It aught to be fascinating.

You might like to look into hip locks under your leg lock section. They are rare, but I've seen video where they are used.

Also, under the miscellaneous section you might want to look at the effects of stacking your opponent to escape the armbar or pass the guard.

i would list the guillotine as a blood choke... a lot of people do it in correctly with the forearm accross the windpipe, but ideally you should be choking with your body pushing against one side and your forearm against the other.

It would make a good sticky/Read Me for nipping those 'is so-and-so just a pain move?' and those 'how does so-and-so work? I don't see how it causes....' threads.

great idea da ruckus... in8oo: are you going to let us see this when you are done?

great idea da ruckus... in8oo: are you going to let us see this when you are done?

I most definitely will. However, I am unsure as to how to go about posting it on this forum. I would like to do it in a pdf format, but this particular paper/project may well be in excess of 50 pages.

After posting it on this site, again, I would like feedback/constructive criticism regarding errors/misplacements/omits/etc. and will periodically post updated versions of this encyclopedia that I feel many would benefit from.

I most definitely will. However, I am unsure as to how to go about posting it on this forum. I would like to do it in a pdf format, but this particular paper/project may well be in excess of 50 pages.

Might be easiest to upload to an external site then link it in this thread: I'd suggest Google Docs (that will take spreadsheets, Word docs etc: e.g., I shoved an Excel sheet on there), or possibly something like Blogspot.

I don't think so, but then I've never tried. I can't see an option for attaching files, but alternately you could always use something like Megaupload or other sites designed for uploading large files. Only problem with them is that they expire after a certain amount of time/downloads (though you could always just reupload).

Depending on size (50 pages of b/w text PDF shouldn't be bad) I can likely host it. I'll have forgotten by the time you finish it though, so if you dig up your own thread when it's ready, send me a PM ;\

Back