? about wild punching

D

DaGREATkabookie**

how do you keep your punching disciplined, tight and crisp like you trained, ive noticed a lot of fighters, to name but a few, wand, lawler, even AA will drop his hands comming in, they all look good when training but when they get in the ring they get slopy, how do you take what you do in the gym into the ring, and what causes pro fighters to do loosen up their tech. THANKS

Wand,Lawler.Arlovski,slopy........... your about to get slammed

Actually Ryback, the original poster has a point. I know what the guy means by "sloppy" hands, it's one of those things that you need to indoctrinate/train from the very beginning... otherwise you fall into the (arguably bad) habit of relatively more wild sloppy punches. There's no changing how those guys punch who already punch that way, you kinda need to nip that in the bud.

Not that it isn't working for Wand, Chuck, the entire Chute Boxe team, etc. Do what works, right?

Also, I disagree about Arlovski having sloppy punches. I consider him to have fairly good hands.

deadlyshaolin said:
Also, I disagree about Arlovski having sloppy punches. I consider him to have fairly good hands.

I agree, but I ahve seen him let his guard down. Maybe to lure them in? Either way it may be endurance or taking kicks to the elbow.

DaGREATkabookie said:
how do you keep your punching disciplined, tight and crisp like you trained, ive noticed a lot of fighters, to name but a few, wand, lawler, even AA will drop his hands comming in, they all look good when training but when they get in the ring they get slopy, how do you take what you do in the gym into the ring, and what causes pro fighters to do loosen up their tech. THANKS

Excellent question really.... I think for most part the idea is that the cleaner you train, the cleaner you most likley will fight. It's obvious that during a fight you might get tired and technique goes out of the window in the heat of the moment. Also realize these guys are mma fighters and not boxers. Boxers are A LOT more technical and don't usually look for the 1-2 kO or haymaker to win the fight because they have to. In mma the little gloves offer little protection, so people are more eager to go for that one punch KO.

deadlyshaolin said:
Actually Ryback, the original poster has a point. I know what the guy means by "sloppy" hands, it's one of those things that you need to indoctrinate/train from the very beginning... otherwise you fall into the (arguably bad) habit of relatively more wild sloppy punches. There's no changing how those guys punch who already punch that way, you kinda need to nip that in the bud.

Not that it isn't working for Wand, Chuck, the entire Chute Boxe team, etc. Do what works, right?

I am going to have to disagree with you. It's my opinion that when someone looks good in the gym, it is because they are relaxed. When you get in the ring, your adrenalin shoots up. Adrenalin numbs pain, makes you stronger (in the muscle sense), but makes more subtle movements hard. Its like sprinting as hard as you can and then threading a needle, do you get what I mean?

I mean I was looking alright in my gym before my fight, once I got into my fight though, I swung like a drunken sailor because I didn't relax. Lawler, Silva seem to have a habit of letting adrenalin get to them. Arlovski I don't think so much.

If you punch correctly in the gym (without having to think about it.) Notice the key is without thinking about it. When I throw a hook I throw it right, I purposly have to think about throwing it wrong b/c it feels awkward to throw a bad punch. Then you will throw them correctly in the ring. Now exhaustion can make someone drop their hands. But if you've thrown a punch properly like 20,000 times then it should be good in the ring.

Basically, drill this idea into your head: Your hands should be on a chin, either his or yours.

What that means is you should always keep your hands up and when you throw a punch, you should bring it back to the "ready position" just as fast as you throw it out. It doesn't mean that you should only punch his chin and only protect your own but you get the point. A hand on the chin lets you raise your arm quickly to block a hook or drop it quickly to block a body shot, etc.

Practice practice practice...

DaGREATkabookie said:
A lot of stuff you learn as a beginner (keep hands up) are meant to be broken later on. For example, for hands up specifically, it's beneficial for an experienced person to drop it b/c it "baits" the opponent and keeps them guessing. IN boxing, we are learned to "close the door" and maintain a side stance, but as you get better you know you have to square up, b/c some punches require you to do so. dropping the hands is also good cuz there are jabs "from the hip" which are weaker but much faster and energetically efficient.

we also keep our hands up b/c we don't know how to defend yourself, so it's always good to keep defense on. as you get better, you know when to turn it on and off. im a short boxer, so i'm "supposed" to keep my ahdns up. my head movement got better, so sometimes drop my hands when fighting an inferior boxer b/c i know my head movement is good enough (parrying also partially blinds me, so i prefer head movement over parrying if that option is safe to use).

if u're not fedor or a good striker, just keep obeying the rules.

edit: also when i saw olympics, people in east europe (korea, or germany) tend to box in a stance similar to sub zero in MK, were both elbows are descended and forearms are horizontal to the floor.

i didint mean he has BAD hands (throwing wild punches) but even horn commented on how he droped his hands when coming in.

Another reason fighters sometimes drop their hands in MMA is to make the opponent think they're going for the shoot. You don't see that in boxing since it's a standup sport. It's not necessarily laziness...sometimes it's strategy.

I was just watching the "Boxing Defensive skills and drills" by Title Boxing. The trainer says..
".. and so you can see why some boxers drop their front hand, it's for a reason. They're waiting for their opponent to punch so you can parry it, catch it or slip it. That's how you defensively counterpunch."
The hand was lower also because it wasn't in the way of the parried punch. This made it more simple and effective.

this man knows whats up and whats down. "alot" it sounds like ur new to this fighting thing. fihting isnt about ur body vs his. it has a lot more to do with ur head them most ppl think. take the greatest ALI. very strong body and even stronger mind. do what feels right. b/c u can feel right doing something wrong.

BlackBeltNow said:
A lot of stuff you learn as a beginner (keep hands up) are meant to be broken later on. For example, for hands up specifically, it's beneficial for an experienced person to drop it b/c it "baits" the opponent and keeps them guessing. IN boxing, we are learned to "close the door" and maintain a side stance, but as you get better you know you have to square up, b/c some punches require you to do so. dropping the hands is also good cuz there are jabs "from the hip" which are weaker but much faster and energetically efficient.

we also keep our hands up b/c we don't know how to defend yourself, so it's always good to keep defense on. as you get better, you know when to turn it on and off. im a short boxer, so i'm "supposed" to keep my ahdns up. my head movement got better, so sometimes drop my hands when fighting an inferior boxer b/c i know my head movement is good enough (parrying also partially blinds me, so i prefer head movement over parrying if that option is safe to use).

if u're not fedor or a good striker, just keep obeying the rules.

edit: also when i saw olympics, people in east europe (korea, or germany) tend to box in a stance similar to sub zero in MK, were both elbows are descended and forearms are horizontal to the floor.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
I am going to have to disagree with you. It's my opinion that when someone looks good in the gym, it is because they are relaxed. When you get in the ring, your adrenalin shoots up. Adrenalin numbs pain, makes you stronger (in the muscle sense), but makes more subtle movements hard. Its like sprinting as hard as you can and then threading a needle, do you get what I mean?

I mean I was looking alright in my gym before my fight, once I got into my fight though, I swung like a drunken sailor because I didn't relax. Lawler, Silva seem to have a habit of letting adrenalin get to them. Arlovski I don't think so much.

I have to disagree! It's still very possible to be calm and technical in a fight, you just have to know how to deal with the adrenaline. Once a fighter's got some experience he should be able to sotp throwing wild haymakers (unless he doesn't want to, like lawler, chuck, wand).

Michael Wanaka said:
I have to disagree! It's still very possible to be calm and technical in a fight, you just have to know how to deal with the adrenaline. Once a fighter's got some experience he should be able to sotp throwing wild haymakers (unless he doesn't want to, like lawler, chuck, wand).

I'm going to have to disagree, because your stupid.

bdweezil6998 said:
Another reason fighters sometimes drop their hands in MMA is to make the opponent think they're going for the shoot. You don't see that in boxing since it's a standup sport. It's not necessarily laziness...sometimes it's strategy.

Great point. In Randleman v. Cro Cop 1, Cro Cop was bringing his hands down to stop a shoot when he caught that "monster" left hook on his chin.

Back