About to start training again after 3 years - advice needed

minimagpro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I have taken a 3 year hiatus from bjj and I really want to get back to training again. I stopped training back in early 2008 due to a combination of things: Went to college, girlfriend, college tennis, job, training for the military, burn out.

I rolled around with a friend the other day and dusted the cob webs off my open guard. Wow, sparring again just made me fall back in love with bjj. I think another reason that I stopped training was I really burned out. I competed in the Euros in 2007 and after that tournament, my interest just faded.

So anyways, I am trying to figure out how I am going to start training again. There are several gyms in my city (Knoxville, TN), but I don't know any of the instructors or students.

One of my questions that I have for you sherdoggers is what should I do about my belt. I got my blue back in early 07, but I am definitely not on a blue belt level right now. I really don't want to come in to a new gym with my blue belt and proceed to get destroyed. Should I hold off on the blue and put on my white for a while?

Ask your instructor what he thinks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He will probably tell you to just wear your blue belt and knock the dust off of it, I wouldn't be surprised if he took a minute and told the whole class what the deal is so they know.

go get yourself a blackbelt online and come in wearing a tie-dyed gi.

I think you come in wearing your blue (not a huge statement... there are tons of crappy blues out there) and explain to him straight away that you've been away for so long. Express that you're willing to wear the white if he thinks you should.

It might be just me but WEAR YOUR BLUE BELT!

First of all, you are a blue, once a blue always a blue, unless you got to the next rank. You earned and deserve that rank. You coming in with a white is not an act of humbleness, it's a ploy to save face. What, you're going to one day poof out of thin air train with a blue on your waist?

People aren't going to question that? You tell them you were a blue all along and that you were just lying the whole time? Please...

Save yourself the trouble and respect the ranking system, respect BJJ, and respect your teammates. Everyone will know you're coming back from a long layoff anyways, even if it's a new school they'll know. You got skills buddy, just need to get back into the groove.

wear your blue cause if you show up with a white, it's too late, you can never go back to blue unless your instructor gives you it.

It might be just me but WEAR YOUR BLUE BELT!

First of all, you are a blue, once a blue always a blue, unless you got to the next rank. You earned and deserve that rank. You coming in with a white is not an act of humbleness, it's a ploy to save face. What, you're going to one day poof out of thin air train with a blue on your waist?

People aren't going to question that? You tell them you were a blue all along and that you were just lying the whole time? Please...

Save yourself the trouble and respect the ranking system, respect BJJ, and respect your teammates. Everyone will know you're coming back from a long layoff anyways, even if it's a new school they'll know. You got skills buddy, just need to get back into the groove.

Worth repeating.

I just came back after 3 years also and Rolles told me to wear my old belt. It's been 3 weeks and already I'm getting my groove back, don't sweat it.

also, my guess is that you'll rebound to "blue caliber" much faster than someone on the start will progress... so don't sweat it.

I'm in a smimilar situation as I have been on hiatus for 2 years. I recently began training again myself. I am training without a gi though. As fro your belt, wear it. You earned it and as you roll with the blues, you'll get your techniques back.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will keep the blue on and explain to my new instructor what the deal is.

I'm gonna start back doing some basic drills, hip stuff, flexibility, and start re-reading my books and watching some dvds. I'm headed back to Knoxville in about 2 weeks so I'll start training then. I will keep this thread updated to let ya'll know what happens.

I know the first time I catch somebody with my super fly spider guard sweep its gonna be tight.

Wear your blue, belts don't have an expiration date.

Wear your blue and just explain that you took a break for multiple reasons. It's hardly going to insult anyone.

Wear your blue and just explain that you took a break for multiple reasons. It's hardly going to insult anyone.

Word. I just wanted to get everyones opinion.

I just don't want to be "that guy" that comes in to a new school. You know what I'm talking about, the guy that everyone proceeds to destroy, crank the arm bars a little harder, choke a little longer, etc. Maybe I have trained at some rough schools, but I will just be humble beyond humble.

Sherdog poster mtruitt76 trains at Gracie Barra Knoxville. I believe the school is run by world champ Samuel Braga. I would go there without hesitation.

I've had both happen where I train.

A brown belt that had been away for 8 years i belive and a black belt that had been away for 5 years.

The brown belt guy did'nt use he's brown belt, he put on a white and told everybody he's really a brown belt but that he had been away for a long period. This was never a problem for anyone, he did that for a couple of months and then he proceeded to rock he's old brown again.

The black belt came in with he's black belt and just told everyone that he had been away and that was cool too.

Im gonna be in a situation soon where I wont be able to train at all, or at least very little and with unexperienced guys for over a year.

When I start training at my academy again, im gonna roll real easy for a couple of weeks on the side an do alot of drills and stuff, and then start doing the real sessions.
I dont think i will put on a white belt, maybe who knows..

anyways my point is, from what i've seen, both ways are really alright as long as everyone knows your situation. It's gonna work out fine, good luck!

Sherdog poster mtruitt76 trains at Gracie Barra Knoxville. I believe the school is run by world champ Samuel Braga. I would go there without hesitation.

I saw he hasn't posted in about a month.

There are a couple of different schools in Knoxville. Braga is Gracie Barra and that is where I used to train when I lived in Spain so I am probably going to check them out first.

I am going to go to both schools though and check them out.

Back