About switchng Gyms, motivation and talent

Metal Stuff

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey everyone !
Im writing this post because Im kind of down. I started training MT about a year and a half ago in my gym, where we trained very slowly and we focused on the technique mainly. In 3 months we didnt even start with kicks, we just focused on boxing mainly.

Then I moved to a new place in the Netherlands and you can imagine the school I got there, but we didnt do much technique, mainly combinations and at sparings, we didnt hit the face but the body area. Now I moved back to my old place and went to a training and sparing with a friend of mine who has been training for under a year (much shorter than me) and he just plain kicked my ass.

Ive had to admit that after 1 and half year, Im not so good, maybe not talented enough, despite my love for this sport. I've made a commitment to train the hardest I can after finishing my exams and to have an amateur fight by the end of this year.

My question is, that obviously different gyms teach in different styles, but can switching gyms really slow you down and maybe ''confuse you a little'', which I feel is what happened to me. Some words of encouragment would be nice too, cuz this guys is teasing me big time and Ive promised him another sparring session :D

The fastest way to learn is to spar a lot. Plenty of gyms in the Netherlands have hard sparring but you need to ask yourself what you want.

Joining a gym with lots of sparring will make you learn fast but prepared for headaches,bruises and possibly a broken nose.

Not a single kick after 3 monts...
But ... why?

But ... why?

Our group was brand new and our trainer focused on conditioning, stance and punching technique. He did a very good job with us tho, really transformed our bodies.
Also, Im currently training 3x a week and Im thinking adding some light cardio/gym on 1-2 exra days. Think its enough ?

You'll get back into the swing of things. It happens to all of us, up and down, we improve but don't think we improve, etc.

Just keep showing up for training.

Some words of encouragement would be nice

Hey man, we've all been there.. and if there is anyone who hasn't, they just haven't been challenging themselves enough.

You say you love the shit, so don't let anything get in the way of that. Remember, it's not so much if you're better than the other guy but more so if you're better than a previous version of yourself.

An inspirational comic/poetry strip for ya'.. Enjoy

http://zenpencils.com/comic/90-ira-glass-advice-for-beginners/

Some words of encouragement would be nice

Hey man, we've all been there.. and if there is anyone who hasn't, they just haven't been challenging themselves enough.

You say you love the shit, so don't let anything get in the way of that. Remember, it's not so much if you're better than the other guy but more so if you're better than a previous version of yourself.

An inspirational comic/poetry strip for ya'.. Enjoy

http://zenpencils.com/comic/90-ira-glass-advice-for-beginners/

This.

The fastest way to learn is to spar a lot. Plenty of gyms in the Netherlands have hard sparring but you need to ask yourself what you want.

Thats a big misconception, yes you need to spar in order to learn but there is a point where you can be sparring too much. Training philosophies are different depending where you go. In the Netherlands the typical gym will have a lot of sparring and drills and they go hard, when they go on the pads and bag its light. However if you go to Thailand its the complete opposite, they go light in sparring but kill it on the pads and the bag. You can't really say one way is better then the other because they've both been successful.

But ... why?

To learn properly at a steady paste. Taking in too much information and trying to learn to many things will only hurt you. Especially if you're are only training 3 times a week on average you shouldn't really be kicking in the first 3 months, I didn't. The first 3 months all I learned was proper footwork and basic boxing.

My question is, that obviously different gyms teach in different styles, but can switching gyms really slow you down and maybe ''confuse you a little'', which I feel is what happened to me. Some words of encouragment would be nice too, cuz this guys is teasing me big time and Ive promised him another sparring session :D

Switching gyms can confuse people especially since most coaches think their style is best.

Just chin up and hang with it- think of it this way: even though you 'lost' to your friend in sparring, you have been been exposed to more types of training and more people of different styles than he has. Sometimes, especially in an actual bout, having a clue on what the other guy may plan to do can go a long way.

Thanks, I slept it off even my friends remarks and Im feeling a lot better :) Definitely looking forward to todays training ;)

Thats a big misconception, yes you need to spar in order to learn but there is a point where you can be sparring too much. Training philosophies are different depending where you go. In the Netherlands the typical gym will have a lot of sparring and drills and they go hard, when they go on the pads and bag its light. However if you go to Thailand its the complete opposite, they go light in sparring but kill it on the pads and the bag.

Just from my exp , the Dutch go balls out in sparring AND bag work.
Every other session is devoted almost exclusively for bagwork (even guys at A-class) .
Pad work is almost non existent .

In Thailand , while they spar light , that's only for kickboxing. Boxing sparring is done hard (with 20oz gloves) and so is clinch work (intensity).
The light sparring for KB isn't done out of concern for your mental health but because the Thais believe (rightly so) that it's easy to hurt your feet and joints and since you're fighting at least once a month , that's important. (for anymore info you'd have to message Payak)
Out in the west , we don't fight that often so , IMO , sparring hard is a must.

Back