About making a training log

DMCShine

White Belt
Reaction score
So, I was going to make a training log, but I just want to make sure that I've got everything in order to make a truly effective one. From what I can tell, you generally just have your stats, and as you go from workout to workout you use it to keep track of how much you lifted for however many reps? For example, if on 1/3/13 I did SOHP @ 85lbs for 5x5 I would list that plus any assistance work? Thank you all for your help, I apologize if you feel this was a waste of a thread.

So, I was going to make a training log, but I just want to make sure that I've got everything in order to make a truly effective one. From what I can tell, you generally just have your stats, and as you go from workout to workout you use it to keep track of how much you lifted for however many reps? For example, if on 1/3/13 I did SOHP @ 85lbs for 5x5 I would list that plus any assistance work? Thank you all for your help, I apologize if you feel this was a waste of a thread.

You can list whatever you feel like listing mate, it's your log afterall. It is useful to know your goals when starting out and what level you are at, what program (if any) you are using.
That way, your log should in time, attract people with similar goals, or who are on similar programs.

Pictures of scantily clad women would be greatly welcomed too.

Yes--exactly. I'd really suggest just reading through logs for the next few days; some people include more extra details than others, but get all sets and reps of everything you down on there (plus an initial stats/introduction post). Have fun!

Your training log can be anything that you want it to be. It is a way for you to keep track of what you're doing and your progression.

The more detailed you are, the better it will be for you in the future when you look back to see what has worked and what hasn't.

The more detail the better. It's pretty cool to be able to look back at your training and read the details, see what worked and what didn't, read people's advice etc. Also, don't get discouraged if it seems like no one is reading your log at first. Really it's for you first and foremost and if you are consistently posting eventually people with similar goals will probably find your log.

The more detail the better. It's pretty cool to be able to look back at your training and read the details, see what worked and what didn't, read people's advice etc. Also, don't get discouraged if it seems like no one is reading your log at first. Really it's for you first and foremost and if you are consistently posting eventually people with similar goals will probably find your log.

Even more so if there are (S+C related) pics of ladies.

I differ on the pics part. I'm a happily married man and the only lady I want to look at, scantily clad or otherwise, is my wife. If Sherdog didn't have an option to turn off images, as much as I enjoy the training discussion here, I'd be browsing another S+C forum.

I think it's a great question and it's cool that you want to maximize what you get from your log.

Personally I think the more details the better. I typically like to include everything I do including warmup sets. I also like to put my thoughts about the day's workout and side notes at the bottom.

Some guys include things like bodyweight, amount of sleep they got the night before, resting heart rate that day, whatever....

Putting your current numbers, as well as your goals and the program you are running is typically a good idea.

The most important things to remember is that you should list your weight in pounds, because trying to figure out what a kg is is a chore, and posting pics of hot chicks.

It's be great if someone made a troll training log and it was mostly upper body/ curls/ hack squats and for the diet it's fast food and alcohol.

It's be great if someone made a troll training log and it was mostly upper body/ curls/ hack squats and for the diet it's fast food and alcohol.

I have a log and I really do train my upper body, do curls, eat fast food, and drink alcohol. I'm not opposed to hack squats but they seem awkward so I like to stick to what I know.

Back