About cutting and adding

B

BigSmile

First of all: Cutting is just nothing more then losing bodyfat, right? I don't like to use the word weight, because with an atkin diet you will lose tons of water but not bodyfat and water is weight too

So, when do you decide that you have been cutting enough? Is that when you hit a certain bodyfat level you are happy with? Is it when you hit a certain weight? is it when you look in the mirror and see a lot of muscle definition?

I am 1 meter 83, weigt 195 lbs and I am pretty low on body fat, meaning..I am happy what I am seeing in the mirror but I am not sure if this is the right aproach to cutting weight

There are fat people looking in the mirror being happy with themselves, know what i mean?

I'm not sure what your question is.

There are a variety of reasons to cut:
1. Health
2. Making weight for athletics
3. Vanity

When you are done probably depends on the reason that you are trying to cut weight. If I'm trying to fight at 220, then I'll be done cutting weight when I'm 5-10 pounds above that. If I were trying to maximize my lifespan, I'd drop down to below 200 pounds. If I were an anorexic girl, then I would never be done cutting.

haha that anoreric comment was funny

For me it's about health. Being over weighted is bad for your health. But, there is also the other side of the coin .. where you are just under weight, so your anorexic girl example

I am trying to understand that other side of the coin. I don't think i need to worry about it with being 195 lbs and not overweighted, but I still would have some knowledge on this part

is my question more clear now?

So I take it your just trying to find the perfect body weight for you, where its healthy? Not underweight to the point of being an anorexic and not bulky enough to be overweight eh? You should just approach weight cutting as when you feel right and can perform at an optimal or better level.

Exactly

You should just approach weight cutting as when you feel right and can perform at an optimal or better level.

how will i know? I can't see how I could try this out

Listen...if you feel good physically, perform well in your workouts or desired activities, like the way you fit into your clothes, and like the way you look naked, I'd say you're doing okay.

cutting weight (atleast in wrestling) you are supposed to lose both fat and water weight because water weight can add about 5 to 10 pounds to your body. so in total off season you should be about 10-20 pounds heavier

also its healthy to be around 3% bf no less

WTF? Who are you fucking idiots?

TS: "Cutting", at least in D&S parlance, tends to refer to losing water weight, done in order to make a specific competition weight. It has nothing to do with body recomposition.

As far as I know, 3% is approaching the critical level of bodyfat for a male (it varies from person to person). There is no correct "weight". A poster mentioned being under 200lbs for health, which may be false for someone 6' 4" but may be true for a five footer.

10%-12% at a good weight is fine most most purposes. All depends on your goals at the end. Just keep in mind that the repetitive bulk-cut cycle is NOT healthy (akin to a yo-yo type diet). I'd rather do a slow clean bulk then a small cut (if necessary) and be done.

Back