About conditioning

How can I work on my breathing during training? I can ask my teacher, but since I am here anyway I can ask you guys perhaps

By the way, I do 3 times a week thai boxing, 2 days a week strength training (i am thinking about getting this back to once a week but I always learned that you won't really gain nothing with once a week weightlifting. atleast 2/3 times to make it benificial), and I try to do some conditioning besides that 1 or 2 times a week (sometimes after i did the weight lifting, this might be better for me)

I should do it only once, since 3+2+2=7, no rest at all.. I have a hard time resting, but then again, most of my session only cost me 1 hour maximum. So i have around 24 hours of rest in between

I have a desk job so it's not like i am using a lot of my body when I am working out/training

Ps. I try not to go into the Tabata discussion, I did read it but I am just soaking in information to get me further again

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of newer people tend to hold their breathe when hitting. It slows you down and tires you out really fast.

You don't HAVE to devote an entire day to one aspect of training. You can have two training sessions, one in the AM and one in the PM. The only things i would advise is to not do heavy lifting and LSD cardio on the same day. You might be able to do your cardio days on your thai boxing days, whenever your class is, do it 3+hours before or after.

What I would do, is devote 2 full days per week to strength training, and double up two of your training days so that you would do cardio before or after the thai boxing. One day of just thai boxing, especially if you have one sparring day or hard pad work devoted day.

You do not have to do 30 minutes worth of conditioning for improvement (by conditioning, I'm assuming you mean aerobic performance).

In fact, it was said in the Conditioning sticky that running a 400 meter dash is 50% aerobic (or was it the 800?). Either way, both the 400 and the 800 take much less than 30 minutes.

Yes LSD is important for conditioning, but there is no need to stress out over whether you ran for 25 minutes or 30 minutes. If you ran 4Km in 25 minutes and you feel like you got a very good workout out of it, your conditioning will adapt and improve.

In other words, you are stressing way too much about this 30 minute thing.

Jogging: 120-150bpm. Go at a comfortable pace. There is no such thing as too slow.
Sprinting: 175+ bpm. Should hurt like hell. Think of sprinting as more akin to lifting than cardio.

I work a slightly different definition:
Jogging: Something you do until your legs get tired
Sprinting: Something you do until your lungs rebel and the icy feeling in your blood makes you want to heave.

They sit firmly on either line of the aerobic threshold.

Back