Abducted in Plain Sight (possible spoilers apparently)

I just read that in the book that the mother wrote there is no mention whatsoever of the affairs that B had with both parents. The maker of the documentary found out about the affair with the mother from Jan, and found out about the handy from the father by way of court transcripts.

Last edited:
I just read that in the book that the mother wrote their is no mention whatsoever of the affairs that B had with both parents. The maker of the documentary found out about the affair with the mother from Jan, and found out about the handy from the father by way of court transcripts.

Really? This whole story is sketchy as they come

Really? This whole story is sketchy as they come
Yeah the director says that she read the book and was confused on how exactly it was possible B had brainwashed them to the extent that he had, because without knowledge of the affairs there are serious holes in the story. After meeting with Jan she learned of the mother's affair. Meanwhile she had read that B had claimed to have entered into a homosexual relationship with the father, but she didn't believe it at first because there was only this claim from B. She later saw court transcripts suggesting it had actually happened, and I guess when they were doing the interviews with the family the director wasn't sure if the father would want to talk about it. The on-camera confession was the only time he publicly admitted it.

I read that Jan said she was thankful her father didn't live to see all the backlash the parents having been getting since the documentary was released.

Yeah the director says that she read the book and was confused on how exactly it was possible B had brainwashed them to the extent that he had, because without knowledge of the affairs there are serious holes in the story. After meeting with Jan she learned of the mother's affair. Meanwhile she had read that B had claimed to have entered into a homosexual relationship with the father, but she didn't believe it at first because there was only this claim from B. She later saw court transcripts suggesting it had actually happened, and I guess when they were doing the interviews with the family the director wasn't sure if the father would want to talk about it. The on-camera confession was the only time he publicly admitted it.

I read that Jan said she was thankful her father didn't live to see all the backlash the parents having been getting since the documentary was released.

Have you read about the connection with the Mormon church? There are too many wierd plot holes and twists to even keep up with in this

Have you read about the connection with the Mormon church? There are too many wierd plot holes and twists to even keep up with in this
Just that all parties involved were members. I'm not sure how deep it goes, but I think a few things are apparent. That B was a member made Jan's family more willing to trust him. Also Mormons in general seem to have a propensity for naiveté and being overly trusting. I think we see this when they say they didn't even know what a child molester was, and their general inability to recognize / conceive of the threat. It's not just that it was a different time, it was a community that never discussed these things openly.

It does seem that the leaders of the church knew that B had been trying to infiltrate various families in an effort to get close to their children. It said in the documentary or somewhere else that he had been "disciplined" by them. Not sure what this means, but doesn't seem to have been that serious of punishment since he wasn't removed from the church or reported to the police. Kind of seems like the possibility of cover-ups in the interest of protecting the image of the church, not unlike the Catholics.

The really shady thing about is that I firmly believe that the church's anti-adultery, anti-homosexual rhetoric was so ingrained into these people that they singed that statement trying to get B off the hook for the first kidnapping just because B's wife threatened to reveal that B and Jan's father had a sexual encounter. This was before B and the mother had even began their affair.

I think this explains to a large degree why the father was such a useless fuck. Guy probably had serious mental and emotional problems from repressing his sexuality his entire life, thinking his attraction to men were deviant, sinful thoughts. The one time he stopped repressing his natural sexual inclination was when he jerked off the guy he later found out was his daughter's molester. Not that I feel bad for the guy, he lost sympathy due to his utter failure to project his family.

I was convinced it was staged till I checked it out after. I have a hard time believing these people aren’t undiagnosed with some developmental disorder

Attachments

• 4482F334-30DE-4427-A86D-FA2EC1F020DD.jpeg
    4482F334-30DE-4427-A86D-FA2EC1F020DD.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 12
I just watched it. I'm fucking speechless. The husband in wife both belong in jail for being so fucking stupid and gullible.

The father recalling the story where he drove to a parking lot and beat the guy off.

I've never seen a TV show or movie where I've literally felt my face fall open with amazement. I literally said, "Bullshit" out loud and scrolled through Google to make sure I wasn't watching some sort of weird comedy/mockumentary.

For anybody interested the most recent FBI retired case file review podcast is covering this case and is interviewing the agent involved with the case.

Just that all parties involved were members. I'm not sure how deep it goes, but I think a few things are apparent. That B was a member made Jan's family more willing to trust him. Also Mormons in general seem to have a propensity for naiveté and being overly trusting. I think we see this when they say they didn't even know what a child molester was, and their general inability to recognize / conceive of the threat. It's not just that it was a different time, it was a community that never discussed these things openly.

It does seem that the leaders of the church knew that B had been trying to infiltrate various families in an effort to get close to their children. It said in the documentary or somewhere else that he had been "disciplined" by them. Not sure what this means, but doesn't seem to have been that serious of punishment since he wasn't removed from the church or reported to the police. Kind of seems like the possibility of cover-ups in the interest of protecting the image of the church, not unlike the Catholics.

The really shady thing about is that I firmly believe that the church's anti-adultery, anti-homosexual rhetoric was so ingrained into these people that they singed that statement trying to get B off the hook for the first kidnapping just because B's wife threatened to reveal that B and Jan's father had a sexual encounter. This was before B and the mother had even began their affair.

I think this explains to a large degree why the father was such a useless fuck. Guy probably had serious mental and emotional problems from repressing his sexuality his entire life, thinking his attraction to men were deviant, sinful thoughts. The one time he stopped repressing his natural sexual inclination was when he jerked off the guy he later found out was his daughter's molester. Not that I feel bad for the guy, he lost sympathy due to his utter failure to project his family.
child marriage is normal in that religion no? I'm not sure about the main church but the offshoots love that shit. There's no mention of this in the documentary unless i was shit posting here while they said it and missed it.

This is a giant reason the parents didn't think it was weird. Cause kid shit just isn't that weird there.

child marriage is normal in that religion no? I'm not sure about the main church but the offshoots love that shit. There's no mention of this in the documentary unless i was shit posting here while they said it and missed it.

This is a giant reason the parents didn't think it was weird. Cause kid shit just isn't that weird there.
I've heard that yeah. I think these people were part of the mainstream church. But of course I think it's like with polygamy where it was practiced commonly in the earlier days, then banned due to outside pressure. So groups splintered off in order to continue to practice it, but it's difficult to say to what degree the minds of the people have changed even in the main branch.

You're correct that the films doesn't mention this. I would say if the film fails in anyway it's in not digging a little deeper on this issue. Personally I definitely got a weird vibe during some parts that the idea of child marriage was not totally foreign to these people. Especially during Jan's phone call home, the way he father was asking about it was really strange. I do think it's possible they were so naive they believed that she hadn't been physically abused.

I've heard that yeah. I think these people were part of the mainstream church. But of course I think it's like with polygamy where it was practiced commonly in the earlier days, then banned due to outside pressure. So groups splintered off in order to continue to practice it, but it's difficult to say to what degree the minds of the people have changed even in the main branch.

You're correct that the films doesn't mention this. I would say if the film fails in anyway it's in not digging a little deeper on this issue. Personally I definitely got a weird vibe during some parts that the idea of child marriage was not totally foreign to these people. Especially during Jan's phone call home, the way he father was asking about it was really strange. I do think it's possible they were so naive they believed that she hadn't been physically abused.
Yeah I think they didn't mention it because then it wouldn't seem so incredulous and people would turn it off. They don't go into the church thing too much. Like if in the first 5 minutes they would've explained a little about the church, those prectices, and that whole area un general where there's a history of it, people would've been like "oh, that explains away alot of it"

Clever producers.

The parents should have been executed. F*cking morons.

I'm glad to know that apparently Jan was able to grow up as a healthy person and has had a rewarding career.

Back