Aaron Williams vs Jose Luis Herrera plus Jason "overweight" Estrada Tonight on ESPN2

Didn't see the fight, but on the maxboxing report they really emphasise the role the doc played in the fight... not that it would have really changed the outcome, but that he was jumping in of his own voilition during the bout to examine fighters... i.e. after surviving a knockdown he jumped up and examined the guy, giving him an extra 10/20 secs to get his head together.

Was this the case, and does anyone think it would have made a difference?

Although I don't think it mattered to the outcome, as Williams was well and truly fucked, it was bizarre.

You saw that good side of it, and the bad side of it all in one fight. After Herrera was KD in the first, he got an extra 15-20 seconds recovery time after the KD simply because the action was stopped, and the Doc examined him immediately after the KD. Terrible.
IF Herrera was close to going out (which I don't think he was) that could have made the difference in allowing him to weather the storm.

In the case of the final KD on Williams, if the doctor let the fight continue, and Williams survived, the Doc would have had a major impact on the fight.

I think it's bad for the fight, possibly good for the fighters. That said, I hope I never see it again.

I would disagree. As long as you prepare for your fights and take them seriously, it shouldn't be a problem where you fight.

i think all those guys prepared for their fights and took them seriously, they just got beat and decisively so by guys they should have beat; throw ouma in there too, he should not have lost to k9...

i think all those guys prepared for their fights and took them seriously, they just got beat and decisively so by guys they should have beat; throw ouma in there too, he should not have lost to k9...

I'd agree they all probably lost to people they should have beaten. However, that's no reason for them not to fight on ESPN. It's not like ESPN goes around looking to make upsets. They try to make competitive fights and the upsets just happen.

I'd agree they all probably lost to people they should have beaten. However, that's no reason for them not to fight on ESPN. It's not like ESPN goes around looking to make upsets. They try to make competitive fights and the upsets just happen.

i was being sarcastic, lol, sorry i guess that got missed; but yeah they gotta get out there and do their thing, its just starting to seem if u have a name or one the way up u will get knocked off if u go on wnf or fnf

Oops. Sorry for not knowing about the sarcasm. It does seem like there's an ESPN curse right now.

A lot of people picked Purlette to beat Williams, too, some by KO. Harrera was better than Purlette as far as punch goes. Aaron will be back, he didn't expect to stay undefeated forever.

Well, how he bounces back from this loss will say a lot as to how much of a prospect he is.

I was just watching this fight and thinking that Williams could be in trouble if he fought a big puncher but this guy he was fighting seemed too scared after the first round to throw anything. Started flicking through the channels thinking this was just a blowout and came back in time to see Herrera celebrating. I have to find a replay somewhere now to see what happened.

I was just watching this fight and thinking that Williams could be in trouble if he fought a big puncher but this guy he was fighting seemed too scared after the first round to throw anything. Started flicking through the channels thinking this was just a blowout and came back in time to see Herrera celebrating. I have to find a replay somewhere now to see what happened.

That happened to me with the Norwood knockout on WNF. I went away from the room for a little bit and came back to see Norwood face down on the canvas.

I dunno if Herrera is a harder puncher than Purlette. Not a lot fo base that on. The guy is a career light heavy, Purlette are HEAVY.

THis wasn't a good loss to take at all. Hopefully some good comes out of it, because Williams wasn't listening at all.

I just watched the Williams-Herrera fight and was struck by several things:

1) What the heck was the doctor doing in the first round getting on the apron to check Herrera? I don't think I've ever seen it happen that way in a fight before.
2) Williams let Herrera off the hook in the first and second. I think he still could've gotten him out of there, but instead he let Herrera land more shots.
3) Williams stood in front of Herrera a lot. That didn't help him any when it came to getting out of the way of some of Herrera's wide punches.
4) Why did the doctor get up on the apron again when Williams got knocked down? I understand that it's their job to make sure the boxers don't get hurt, but he's directly affecting the outcome of the bount by doing it.
5) Credit is due to Herrera for finishing when he had the chance to, unlike Williams.

Anyone agree, disagree with my thoughts?

If a doctor has the right to stop a fight, he can take an avtice role in its playing.

Does anybody know if the doctor had the right to stop the fight or if it was just the ref's right?

You'd have to find the sanctioning rules for the fight to know that one. ESPN doesn't show pre-fight intro's and thats usually the easiest way to find out.

Eddie Mustafa told me today that they have a legit complaint put in, I didn't ask too much about it but he agreed Aaron stopped listening to him and practically did everything wrong.

Well, you could tell he went away from what was winning him the fight.

I'm sure that tibit would come as a suprise to him to learn.

Eddie also agreed that this experience would be good for him. Said now he has to wake up.

Back