Aaron Pico is fighting tomorrow

No, it's not. The kind of shots that took him out are not the sort of shots you're guaranteed to take in MMA. It's not like he gots sparked by a jab. If he works on his defense, grappling and strategy (which he clearly is) he can still go very far in the sport. Pico has a rare set of attributes to work with.
Im hoping that it's just his shit defense that caused him to get koed. I cant fault him for dropping to a flying knee but from what I've seen, he's been hurt every time hes fought a 55er or 45er. Hes only been able to take the shots from those moving up from 35.

He does strike me as one who has a weak chin. He has one until he proves otherwise.

Im hoping that it's just his shit defense that caused him to get koed. I cant fault him for dropping to a flying knee but from what I've seen, he's been hurt every time hes fought a 55er or 45er. Hes only been able to take the shots from those moving up from 35.

He does strike me as one who has a weak chin. He has one until he proves otherwise.

From what I have seen the shots that rocked him were huge shots. I don't think his chin is a problem. I think so far his fight IQ and inabliity to mix his striking with his grappling has been the problem until recently. In his last fight Pico looked much better at mixing up his striking and grapping and I hope that continues. I also hope guys like Ed Ruth learn to start using their grappling offensively, both him and Pico have had issues with focusing too much on striking and not enough on learning how to blend their wrestling with GnP and offensive grappling.

Corrales hits like a truck, getting KO'd swinging wildly against him is normal (although it's obviously unadvisable to swing wildly with him in the first place).

Hopefully Pico continues moving forward against similar experienced rivals, he needs to take his career at a good pace, soon enough he will be facing the top dogs at FW. I hope Bellator will have the foresight to not match him up against fellow rising prospects like Tywan Claxton, they need to get more seasoned in thr cage.

wilders opponent had 100 times more exp.

Aaron had 100 times more exp. than his opponent

both fought cans.

Bellator = c-league

Can you not read? Or are you just insanely terrible at math? 4-3 is not 100 times more experience than 7-3.

You're a can at reading, writing and math.

Pico looked excellent. I was very enthused by the viciousness of the GNP. When he fought Borics he wasn’t able to do any damage with his top position. Also looks like he learned some lessons about getting wild. If he fights more controlled then his chances of getting hit with punches he doesn’t see coming(KO punches) go down.

I’ll have to see 1 or 2 more of these before I start shoveling coal Into the engine of the Pico hype train again but I was pleased with his performance.

Agreed. He needs 5 or 6 more of this caliber of opponent.

wilders opponent had 100 times more exp.

Aaron had 100 times more exp. than his opponent

both fought cans.

Bellator = c-league
How did Pico have way more experience? He's like 23 years old, and has had less than 10 fights lol.

He wasn't taken out by grazing shots or average everyday right hands. He was taken out by shots he never saw because he fought like a moron that knows he can put out anyone's lights before they can put out this. They're all paying attention, he wasn't. As his continues to strengthen the links between the different phases of his game, I think you will start to see opponents look less and less sure about what they want to do.

You're not going to see too many giant strikes land at that point. If he can continue to control himself, he'll eliminate even more opportunities to catch him. It's all about whether he can develop that self control or not.

I'm still unsure on that point. He was very deliberate in this last fight. That's ok, but it means that he'll be easily dragged into making stupid decisions when he's put in bad spots.​

Yeah, that shot in his debut that put him down wasn’t grazing or anything... You and the rest of people trying to argue that Pico, though he’s been ko’d Multiple times now, doesn’t have garbage chin are both sadly misinformed and delusional on the subject. There are fighters who people laugh at constantly who’ve had much better careers and have been knocked out in less embarrassing ways than Pico for having a shit chin. How anyone can pretend like his chin isn’t a problem is beyond me. Henry Corrales isn’t some type of one hitter quitter and he slept Pico with one punch. When you’re getting one punch ko’d by anyone it is a major red flag that your chin is nothing to write home about. You people really are thick in the head. It won’t matter how good Pico’s gameplay is, he will always be more susceptible to end up on the wrong side of a knockout out beacause, yes, his chin is glass!

I don't think anyone is arguing Pico has a great chin. We're just saying it's not an automatic deal-breaker for his career, he still has tons of tools to be a great fighter. GSP didn't have a perfect chin, neither did Fedor, and both of them are all-timers. If Pico improves his defense and fight IQ he can still be great.

Coker said he'd like to get Pico three more "carefully matched" opponents this year, before considering putting him back in the fire. I think a few more camps with Jackson and company are going to do him a lot of good. We'll see.

Back