1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

A word of caution for old fighters competing on MMA

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by OMMAniscient, Feb 17, 2016.

1. OldManGrip Brown Belt

most of you guys are probably under 30-40 , but you know some men over 50 can still compete, It is not 1850 where everybody over 50 dies. As technology advances there are more ways for older men to compete and some are illegal yes, but i don't think they should be. If hgh etc helps so be it

2. PivotPunch Red Belt

My keyboard is fucked that's why the O is in caps.

No Shamrock is entering the cage on his own free will (and because of money) and bellator is offering him the opportunity. No one forced Shamrock into the contract and he is doing it becaue he choses to.

As long as he passes the same tests just like younegr fighters though let him figh if that's what he choses to. If you ask him he will say that he has no regrets and if something happens it's his own choice.
    Why do you think you are in the position to tell an adult what he#s going to do with his own body and own life. As long as he passes the medical tests Bellator does nothing wrong they want his name and he wants their platform and money.
    If you want put him through medical tests once a week but as long as he passes them he has the same right as everyone else to live his lfie doing what he loves the most

3. Gervinho Banned Banned

pretty much this. The human body isnt made to get punched and kicked constantly. But its the lifestyle they choose and there isnt much you can do about it

4. I'm 36 and our neurologist friend brought up some good point about cumulative punishment and an aging brain that had nothing to do with growth hormones . 1850 vs modern bandaids or not , physiologically the organism that is you is on the decline in virtually every way after about 35 and it's a valid discussion to be having.

Edit : no clue why I quoted myself.......twice.

5. santacruzshon Blue Belt

I'm glad you bring it up. I'm a boxer and a coach. It should be talked about more, and I agree that stoppages should come sooner. Fighters often want that quick comeback fight to erase their losses asap anyway. Let them go into their next fight with a more equipped brain. Later, rather than earlier, stoppages have huge potential for result in significant differences in these fighter's health and lives after the sport. No fighter wants to be told they lose at any time. Safety only allows for more opportunities for fighters to prove themselves. I wonder how much a difference dehydrating and attempting to rehydrate your brain makes before taking blows, or how much worse it is when you chase the fight with heavy amounts of alcohol or use performance ehancers that alter your chemical makeup. It's scary, and I'm sure we will see plenty sad stories, but if we focus on making the sport safe(without taking the full contact out of it), we may have a lot less fighters becoming dangerous to themselves and others. I don't want pro fighters flying off the handle after their career is over, or them to suffer more than was necessary, just so I could see one more punch landed on a limp body, or even a standing clearly rocked opponent.

6. cOugAr_LIbRe_85 Brown Belt

Having seen both of their standup, I think a standup fight would actually be safer than grappling

7. tasticles Silver Belt

I agree with TS but this is one of the rare exceptions to the rule. Royce can't realistically hurt ken with his striking or lack there of and Royce has taken very little damage in his career as well as having good defense on the ground. There is extremely minimal risk involved for these guys in terms of brain damage.

8. Glove Black Belt

The fighters who are fighting well into the 40's are mainly heavyweights, and that is because you will aways have that punchers chance and win on that alone. The other weight divisions are more "rounded" and depend on a combination of speed and skill.

9. OMMAniscient Orange Belt

I have seen carotid dissections and strokes following things as simple as chiropractic maneuvers of the neck, for example. When you are old, a fall from bed can cause a subdural hemorrhage. I imagine things more dangerous than that could happen in any fight. Again, the risk may not be super high, but it is something to keep in mind when you start seeing older fighters coming back.

10. Kryptt Dead Belt Platinum Member

I am a long time fan with a very deep love of the sport. It is actually one o the things that makes my day - a day without MMA and I certainly miss it. Maybe that's a drug like need lol....anyhow...

As I have said before that it often tears at me or bothers me that I am taking extreme enjoyment from them basically slowly destroying themselves.

We have seen the fallouts come from WWE and steroid use, WWE and Concussions are now coming to the front (following the massive Football and Boxing series). We have seen wrestlers, boxers and a plethora of other athletes crippled for our entertainment. While we are making advancements to protect our athletes that fact is that we are damaging human bodies which are rather fragile.

As long as people are allowed in contact sports...well you get the picture.