A Triangle Question

RyeGuy54

MMA Realist
@Green
Reaction score
I just started doing some training at my gym. The other day we were learning the Triangle Choke and I was wondering if any of you have some extra tips on getting the opponent's arm in the right position before pulling the head towards you and arching the hips.

Please n thanks, and I look forward to replies.

One thing I have learned recently -- it doesn't matter that much.

The other keys to the triangle are what matter -- getting the angle and lock right, making sure that you are not stacked, and keeping posture broken -- are far more important.

If you must, you can move the arm by bridging your hips up explosively and ripping the arm across with both of your arms. But it's not that necessary.

At Eddie Bravo's school, we've been working a lot on "shortcuts". The most important part of cinching a fast triangle IMO is getting the proper angle. Don't worry about getting the arm in position, worry about getting your body in the right position. If the body is right, you can't go wrong.

One thing I have learned recently -- it doesn't matter that much.

The other keys to the triangle are what matter -- getting the angle and lock right, making sure that you are not stacked, and keeping posture broken -- are far more important.

If you must, you can move the arm by bridging your hips up explosively and ripping the arm across with both of your arms. But it's not that necessary.

Think of the arm across as an element of a really good triangle. It's still possible to have a successful triangle without it (or any of the other elements you listed), but every shortcut increases the likelihood of failure. If the arm is across it's much harder to fight the angle or lock, harder to be effectively stacked (and more likely to get the armbar if you are) and harder for your opponent to regain posture. Keeping the arm from going across is my first priority when defending the triangle.

Use you hips to get the arm across, by thrusting your hips up once you get the triangle locked.

arch your hips up and bring the arm across

I concentrate much more on breaking the posture RIGHT away by grabbing my shin tight behind his neck. I dont sweat the arm so much until later.....and if I cant get the arm across I transition to the omoplata for the sub or the sweep.

But what Mikey said is pretty much the easiest and most effective way to get the arm across.

switch the triangle (if you're locking your left foot under your right knee, move your hips to the other side and lock your right foot under your left knee). then lift your hips, underhook the arm, push it over and switch the triangle back.

works like a charm.

I really appreciate the feedback and help guys. I especially like the advice on positioning the arm after getting your legs in proper position cause that's where I felt like I had the most trouble.

Back