a tip on backing up

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Payak, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Payak

Payak Brown Belt Professional Fighter

something i dont see used or taught enough is, never back up without throwing a strike, usually a jab.
    this will cause your opponenent to flinch or stop for a split second, that split second will give you enough time to gain distance between you wich was the idea of backing up in the first place and that distance will allow you to reset.
    the strike stops him from following you or rushing you, allowing you to back up as you are vulnerable at this pont if you do not strike when backing up.
    thats my 2 bahts worth for the day

2. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Green Belt

I have a habit of backing up. I noticed that when I throw a jab behind my retreat, I get tagged a lot less. Now I have to get out of the habit of going straight back all the time and start using some damn footwork. :D

3. Xodus

Xodus Purple Belt

When I back up I usually follow it up with a sidekick. This works well against aggressive punchers who try to follow me.

4. AdamL

AdamL Green Belt

Solid advice. When I shadowbox I do this all the time. On the other hand when I'm sparring I need to really remember this, because thinking about it I'm pretty sure I don't throw a jab out if I'm backing up. Also while tossing the jab out and backing away, circle away from your opponent's strong side (circle left for south paw, circle right for orthodox.)

5. dg43088

dg43088 Guest

I have to say this is something so damned simple yet it slips my mind on a fairly regular basis.

6. KAYNE

KAYNE Blue Belt

This is the key I think. If you back up in a straight line you will eventually get caught.
    I throw my jab and circle out. Dont back straight up you will run out of room.

7. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

I've really got to remeber that because I'm forever getting popped round the
    head with the mitts from my coach for not doing it.

8. Payak

thats right adam L.
    straight back will get you caught on the ropes, circling gives you a ring with unlimited size.
    also when you back up at an angle you can almost move round behind the guy,forcing him to turn and face you where you are waiting with a strike.

9. good advice bro

10. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

I like pumping my jab when I circle out (usually to the right), and if they're still following then I have a right cross waiting. Also, a check hook is another good option because you hit them with it while they're coming, and in the same motion you've already stepped out to the side, so you have plenty of time to reset yourself.

It's very good advice though, I got tagged wayyyyyy less when I started doing it.

11. Mike32110

Mike32110 White Belt

I've been having this problem BIG time. People have been telling me that when someone pushes forward I need to step back and THEN pivot to the side, to remove their momentum. Do you guys agree?

12. quikkick

quikkick Technical Brilliance, Prowess, and Analysis

LA......the city of out of town Wanna-Be's
    Love the quote in your sig!

13. Armycombative

Armycombative White Belt

somewhere between hell and a hand grenade
    Good call. I don't mind it because it will often times draw my opponent into me. With his forward momentum already started I will then throw a few strikes to either back him up or set him up for a take down etc.

14. CharmingCritic

CharmingCritic Orange Belt

most people probably don't practice this because it feels awkward. punching while moving backwards does not come naturally to most people, and no one likes to look awkward.

15. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

speak for yourself. :D

16. ambertch

ambertch Purple Belt

fixed for
    ya' ;)

17. Payak

just one jub as you begin to back up is all it takes to throw them off long enough to give you distance.
    if punching on the back foot is a weakness practice it when you shadow box and it will soon became natural.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.