A thought on weight cutting, please come and weigh in.

QcChopper

Epstein didn't kill himself.
@Black
Reaction score
There is lots of talk about weight cutting and it's been going on for quite a while, it's a way to legally game the system and it is sometimes taken to extremes, to the point of being hazardous to fighter's health and there is always the risk of not making weight too and that is bad for fans and organizations. Some will advocate for no weight-cutting and I do not believe it to be a more sound idea, some will argue for the status-quo and some will prefer a solution in-between. I am one of those that believe the solution should reside somewhere between the two extremes, things in life are rarely black or white and nuance is what we should strive to attain in my opinion.

That middle ground I believe would be much more fair and reasonable would be to have fight day weigh-ins and require that fighters still belong in their weight class i.e. a WW should weigh under 185 on fight day to be allowed to fight at WW, a BW should come in under 145 and so on.

You are invited to weigh in on the matter. What do you think is the best way to go about the weight cutting?

A second weigh in on fight day just to see what the boys are walking in the cage at. Post the numbers on the tale of the tape, social media will take care of the rest. Fighter’s who cut ridiculous amounts will be put on blast, it’s not a solution just a start lol.

A second weigh in on fight day just to see what the boys are walking in the cage at. Post the numbers on the tale of the tape, social media will take care of the rest. Fighter’s who cut ridiculous amounts will be put on blast, it’s not a solution just a start lol.
CSAC has been doing it, there are actual numbers for the last event .

California does it already and CSAC makes the weights public. Ca also has the 10% rule in effect. Supposedly other State Commissions are going to start doing the same by next year.

Just let them cut, bro. If they die, they die.

oh_i_get_it_fight_club.gif

Less weight cutting, healthier fighters, and better fights.

Weight classes were invented for manlettes for the same reason the WNBA and WMMA were formed - can't hang with the real boys.

I say keep it the way it is for now, but for start weighing them on fight night just for the record. Then we’ll get a better idea after seeing each fighter’s “real” weight.

That title

I c what you did there ts.

My opinion, get rid of weight cutting altogether and have everyone move up a weight class. Cutting more than 8 lbs should get penalized.

Have alternates fighters for main card fights ready for the event. They should be given "show" money.

main card fight @ a weight class has two closely ranked alternates already assigned at that WC & the one above. All four fighters know exactly who they are potentially fighting well in advance! If one of the lower WC fighters misses weight, than they fight the higher weight alternate, and the alternate lower weight fighter fills in the slot that the missed weight fighter vacated.

Still penalize monetarily (say 10% - 15%) the fighter that missed weight . Likely they will be facing a much larger opponent (exactly what they attempted and failed to do to their original opponent by cutting weight). IMO you would solve the problem IMMEDIATELY!

IE: McGregor vs Khabib @ 155:
One LW alternate (Choose between Ferguson, Porirer, Alverez & Lee) vs. LW that made weight
One WW alternate (Choose between Dos Anjos, Thompson, Lawler) vs LW that did not make weight.

Alternates should be + - 4 rankings of intended potential opponent.

More weight classes might help but we don't want to be like boxing... Junior welterweight, light welterweight, welterweight, super welterweight whatever I don't know but there are loads

Back