A thought on Izzy vs Jan

Martialbeef

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Izzy definitely used to fight big guys in kickboxing, but has he ever tried to be taken down or wrestled by a guy in a heavier weight class?

How many big bodies do they have down there in CKB for him to spar with i wonder, i always see the smaller weight classes sparring whenever there are clips of Izzy around.

Jan is a massive guy who is built like a tank. He is an excellent grappler, I believe a BJJ black belt. He took down and subbed Devin Clark who himself is a solid wrestler at 205.

The question is will Izzy be able to resist the TD from a mammoth of a man like Jan? He may have huge issues down there whether it be GnP or Jan fishing for a limb/neck.

at the end of the day it’s another hur-dur take izzy down and beat him there thought, but it is more realistic than his past few opponents i think even though Jan does prefer to bang

When will people realize that kickboxing is vastly different than MMA striking? Gastelum don't have any striking back ground but he gave izzy a harder fight on the feet than 99% of kickboxers that izzy fought.

With that being said, izzy should win the fight simply because Jan is too slow on the feet. Your power is useless if you can't land on your opponent. And Jan wrestling isn't that good, I don't see him coming with a wrestling heavy gameplan either.

When will people realize that kickboxing is vastly different than MMA striking? Gastelum don't have any striking back ground but he gave izzy a harder fight on the feet than 99% of kickboxers that izzy fought.
What is the relevance of this comment? I was theorising whether if Jan could take down and beat Izzy up there. No doubt he wants to mix it up and feed Izzy some legendary Polish power also...

Izzy definitely used to fight big guys in kickboxing, but has he ever tried to be taken down or wrestled by a guy in a heavier weight class?

How many big bodies do they have down there in CKB for him to spar with i wonder, i always see the smaller weight classes sparring whenever there are clips of Izzy around.

Jan is a massive guy who is built like a tank. He is an excellent grappler, I believe a BJJ black belt. He took down and subbed Devin Clark who himself is a solid wrestler at 205.

The question is will Izzy be able to resist the TD from a mammoth of a man like Jan? He may have huge issues down there whether it be GnP or Jan fishing for a limb/neck.

at the end of the day it’s another hur-dur take izzy down and beat him there thought, but it is more realistic than his past few opponents i think even though Jan does prefer to bang
I'm sure that Adesanya trains with heavier experienced guys who try and take him down. Even the smaller guts he trains with have advantages because they are faster with much better technique.

At the end of the day Israel is banking on his skills. Many people here ignorantly assume he struggle wrestling or on the ground with very little to know evidence to back it up. According to them "no one is smart enough to try and wrestle him down." "Israel's lucky there are no wrestlers."

Besides, Adesanya fluctuates around 200 to 208 pounds I'd say. That's a big person at pretty much optimal weight. Anything over 220 is probably just extra and ineffective for the most part IMO. Unless your style is sumo wrestling.

Don’t underestimate the bigger man. Jan is definitely no Jones but he’s a vet of the fight game.

I'm sure that Adesanya trains with heavier experienced guys who try and take him down. Even the smaller guts he trains with have advantages because they are faster with much better technique.

At the end of the day Israel is banking on his skills. Many people here ignorantly assume he struggle wrestling or on the ground with very little to know evidence to back it up. According to them "no one is smart enough to try and wrestle him down." "Israel's lucky there are no wrestlers."

Besides, Adesanya fluctuates around 200 to 208 pounds I'd say. That's a big person at pretty much optimal weight. Anything over 220 is probably just extra and ineffective for the most part IMO. Unless your style is sumo wrestling.
Some people definitely underestimate Izzy’s defensive wrestling and grappling, but some people overestimate it too. There is no reason a guy like Jan cannot dominate if he was to get it down. How he would get it down i am not too sure, lol.

Some people definitely underestimate Izzy’s defensive wrestling and grappling, but some people overestimate it too. There is no reason a guy like Jan cannot dominate if he was to get it down. How he would get it down i am not too sure, lol.
The reason Jan couldn't dominate him is because Israel works heavily on his ground game with some of the best coaches in the world.

Jan has shown a solid ground game. But nothing consistent enough to assume he'd have his way with Adesanya let alone be able to get the fight there. I'm more concerned with the threat he possesses on the feet.

With that being said, izzy should win the fight simply because Jan is too slow on the feet. Your power is useless if you can't land on your opponent. And Jan wrestling isn't that good, I don't see him coming with a wrestling heavy gameplan either.
Reyes has pretty good footwork for 205 and Jan KO’d him. Adesanya will be heavier, that’s like saying heavyweights are slower than 205lbers... of course they are. Speed can only get you so far, once you’re staring down the barrel of a cannon your speed becomes useless.

Strip Jan and do izzy vs John instead for the lhw title.

If you grow up around polynesians/samoans/tongans then you most likely have some comfort/success vs bigger opponents.

If anything, Izzy is probably deceptively strong as a result

If you grow up around polynesians/samoans/tongans then you most likely have some comfort/success vs bigger opponents.

If anything, Izzy is probably deceptively strong as a result

Lol that's actually true. He used to regularly fight against these type of guys who tried to bully him, back in high school

Lol that's actually true. He used to regularly fight against these type of guys who tried to bully him, back in high school
Oh I don't doubt it lol. You grow up scrapping with really big guys, you're forced to get good

Jan was mauled on the ground by a barista no too long ago

Believe it or not in addition to having a pretty sizable grappling advantage Jan possesses a pretty sizeable boxing advantage.

Don't get it twisted Izzy is light-years ahead of Jan in kickboxing but you don't want to play with a boxer in the pocket
One, just one, exchange can alter the entire contest.

That's why I'm picking Jan to win. Jan has deceptively fast hands with cinder blocks for fists while Izzy has a serious hole in his head movement like many pure kickboxers do.

This post will age well.

I liked and unliked this post when you said anything over 220 is extra. My optimal weight was 227. I was fastest, strongest and quickest at 227. I also played college football which is a completely different sport then MMA. I wrestled and was damn good in HS at it. Could have went collegiate but chose football.

But I was at optimal performance at 227 pounds which is more than 220.

I dropped .2 seconds in the 40 years dash between weighing 193 pounds and 227. 4 to high 4.4.

Believe it or not in addition to having a pretty sizable grappling advantage Jan possesses a pretty sizeable boxing advantage.

Don't get it twisted Izzy is light-years ahead of Jan in kickboxing but you don't want to play with a boxer in the pocket
One, just one, exchange can alter the entire contest.

That's why I'm picking Jan to win. Jan has deceptively fast hands with cinder blocks for fists while Izzy has a serious hole in his head movement like many pure kickboxers do.

This post will age well.
Thanks. Actually one of the first people on here who acknowledge Jans boxing. Ive said for a long time he propably is the best pure boxer at LHW. Even forcing Gus to switch levels.
Izzy will come in this confident that he will be the better striker, which he is overall, but in the pocket all it takes is one of those bricks to land and Izzy with his evasive head movement instead of solid boxing defense will be in a lot of trouble.

Also like TS said Jan is a decent grappler and in a 5 round fight it can be very tiring to have a bigger guy constantly pushing on you and maybe get some cage work in.

I have underestimated Izzy a lot in his last fights, but i think Jan criminally gets overlooked in this. He might not be the most elite LHW of all time, but size and power can make a huge difference vs a guy who is known to style on opponent with significantly less reach and height than himself.

izzy has never fougth a guy who s adove 220 a real heavyweigth such as rozenstruik or hari or overeeem he just faced some lhw journymans who don t even had a visible record

Thanks. Actually one of the first people on here who acknowledge Jans boxing. Ive said for a long time he propably is the best pure boxer at LHW. Even forcing Gus to switch levels.
Izzy will come in this confident that he will be the better striker, which he is overall, but in the pocket all it takes is one of those bricks to land and Izzy with his evasive head movement instead of solid boxing defense will be in a lot of trouble.

Also like TS said Jan is a decent grappler and in a 5 round fight it can be very tiring to have a bigger guy constantly pushing on you and maybe get some cage work in.

I have underestimated Izzy a lot in his last fights, but i think Jan criminally gets overlooked in this. He might not be the most elite LHW of all time, but size and power can make a huge difference vs a guy who is known to style on opponent with significantly less reach and height than himself.
both romero and gastelum caught him a couple times enough to make him gun shy if jan lands on him is gonna be a short night for izzy

Back