A Sol Kwon calls out Shinya Aoki for LW Title Unification Bout (ROAD FC & ONE FC)

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by Hufusopem, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Hufusopem

Hufusopem Brown Belt

A Sol Kwon called out Shinya Aoki and wants the fight to unify the ONE FC and ROAD FC lightweight belt.

This would be a battle between the most controversial fighter/heel & NO.1 ranked LW South Korean fighter vs the most controversial fighter/heel & NO.1 LW ranked Japanese fighter.

Grappler vs Striker
    Japan vs Korea
    ONE FC vs ROAD FC
    Middle finger vs Middle finger

--------

A Sol Kwon middle finger at 4:35

Shinya Aoki middle finger at 6:47

2. LimitlessZane

LimitlessZane Green Belt

a sol kwon hasn't made weight in any of his last fights, how is he going to fight aoki for the strap? i suppose it would be interesting because of all the hype and also the unification, but aoki will crush him in the first round.

aoki should fight koji ando that would be a real challenge for him.

3. Asurah

Asurah |⁰⊖⁰)

Definitely want to see it. Is Kwon still being a heel? Only thing I can remember recently is repeatedly missing weight leading up to his title shot, other than that haven't heard much about him outside of his fights. I know he briefly tried to restart his beef with Nam after returning from military but again nothing came of it unfortunately.

Before Kwon's last fight I would've said that Aoki takes this no problem but after the beating Kwon put on Kume idk. Stilll definitely favor Aoki though.

He made weight in his last fight.

4. Hufusopem

Hufusopem Brown Belt

Aoki probably submits him eventually, but it will be very interesting until that happens.

Kwon has great TDD as illustrated by his fight against Kume and striking wise Kwon is leagues above Aoki. IMO A Sol Kwon would be Aoki's most difficult test since fighting Eddie Alvarez (2nd time).

Also hype sells and there isn't enough trash talking in Asian MMA. Both Kwon and Aoki are notorious trash talkers and the Asian MMA fans will love it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  5. LimitlessZane

LimitlessZane Green Belt

ok, well if this fight happens hopefully onefc won't have to deal with the risk of him showing up missing weight.

i haven't seen the kume fight in a while, but i remember it being close actually. i don't remember it as 'kwon putting a beating on kume'.

Is your preference the Aoki fight vs Kwon instead of Koji Ando?

Here's the Kume vs Kwon fight btw:

[YT]bE-jj_A_iwc[/YT]

6. LimitlessZane

LimitlessZane Green Belt

ok i can understand that point of view. but personally i thought koji ando would've have been the biggest fight since losing to eddie in their 2nd fight. actually i still want the koji ando vs aoki fight to happen first.

then there's all the fighters that are already signed to onefc that are gunning for the title. kwon just jumps ahead of all them

7. Asurah

Asurah |⁰⊖⁰)

Maybe I'm just remembering Kume's face after the fight but from what I recall Kwon won the first 2 rounds easily then Kume had a good 3rd that ended with Kwon on top pounding his face.

Also I would want Aoki to fight both, no real preference, as mentioned though I think Kwon vs Aoki could generate a lot more hype.

8. LimitlessZane

LimitlessZane Green Belt

i just rewatched the kwon a sol vs kume takasuke fight and it was as i remembered.

kwon allowed an insta-mount in the opening seconds of the 3rd round, kume controlled most of round 3, and in the last 30 seconds was the only time where kwon scored any points in that round. although arguably some might say that kwon came closer to finishing the fight with that. if kwon were to fight against aoki allowing him to mount so easily the fight will be over very quickly.

first 2 rounds were very close could've gone either way. i think it is easy to get swayed from crowd cheers and commentators. kume landed a lot of damaging punches which were somewhat ignored by everyone.

yeah, the only justification i can see for making this fight happen is the hype.

9. The Reed

The Reed Red Belt

Cristiano Marcello called him out too(video is in Portuguese). Would make an interesting fight stylistically, or Aoki would just out-kickbox him like he did with Shaolin.

As for Sol Kwon. It's a good fight but Aoki's taken down and subbed better fighters. To be completely honest I'm not sure if Sol offers Aoki a better challenge than Kamal Shalorus.

10. Necrocrawler

Necrocrawler Purple Belt

Korean Nick Diaz vs Japanese Nick Diaz?

Where do i sign?

11. Moneymma

Moneymma Brown Belt

Dont know who other guy is,so im going with aoki,who is one of the best lw in the world
    Aoki via sub

12. Slongkong

Slongkong Brown Belt

I'd welcome it. 2 very good fighters, thought he got run out of OneFC though, now he wants back in?

13. eseseses681

eseseses681 Purple Belt

Aoki's probably got the single most underrated takedown game in the entire history of this sport. People act like any striker with good TDD is gonna be a gigantic challenge for him that he may not overcome, but he's got extremely good takedowns and everyone forgets this. Antonio Mckee, Satoru Kitaoka, Marcus Aurelio, JZ Cavalcante, Akira Kikuchi, Kamal Shalorus, and Hayato Sakurai all have very legit takedown defense, and, according to the general consensus of the fans, Aoki would have no chance to take any of them down unless he pulled guard or got lucky. Yet he's taken all of them down. Even a lot of the more underwhelming opponents that Aoki fought had very good takedown defense-- Katsuhiko Nagata and Jung Bu-Kyung were both Olympic silver medalists in Greco-Roman' and Judo, respectively, and Aoki took both of them down.

He only had one fight in One FC, and it was as a last-minute replacement for Ole Laursen. He also started his mandatory military service right afterwards, and his contract was non-exclusive (which's why he's still on the One FC website's roster, despite not having fought in a long time).

If One FC wants to expand to Japan this year or maybe even get in on the NYE excitement, then having Shinya Aoki vs. Koji Ando is a waste in any other venue. If they wanna keep 'em both active in the 8-12 months it's gonna take for that to happen (and, considering Aoki likes to fight at least thrice a year-- he took an exhibition bout against Atsushi Sawada in May, making three fights this year, by the way-- he's not gonna wanna wait that long), Kwon A-Sol vs. a_ok_i is great to have in the interim. They could give Koji someone to keep him busy as well. If they want to have a Japanese event finally, there's good reason to make this matchup and to save the Ando-Aoki fight. If they aren't, though, then Aoki-Ando's fine for now and they could save Kwon for the winner or in case Ando gets injured or doesn't wanna fight 'till the summer or fall.

Also, aside from Ando, Kwon isn't really bypassing anybody else for a title shot. There's Colossa, but he's in that contract situation between One FC and the UFC right now, so he probably doesn't really care if someone leapfrogs him. Everyone else in the One FC division is at about as deserving of a title shot as Kwon is, only Kwon would make more moneyz and Kwon's the Road FC champion, which goes a long way.

14. Hufusopem

Hufusopem Brown Belt

I have always been one of the few to have defended Aoki's takedown game which is very technical,diverse, and slick, but he doesn't have a powerful shot.

This is why I see him struggling with Kwon at first. Not only because of Kwon's tdd but Kwon's style of range fighting in the striking portion of the fight (which is a skillset most of the fighters you mentioned did not have). Kwon rarely if ever stays in the pocket and is very good at maintaining advantageous striking distance with his footwork while still being far away enough that it will be hard for Aoki to get the clinch. This will force Aoki to rely on shooting for takedowns which I'm sure Kwon can defend most of (very much like the Gilbert Melendez fight).

Eventually I think Aoki does get the takedown because Kwon doesn't have the type of power to really stop Aoki from pressuring,pursuing, and creating a scramble out of one those weak double/single legs. But as I said it will be entertaining and tense all the way through.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  15. RubberGuard5

RubberGuard5 Brown Belt

Guys like Aoki, Kawajiri, Omigawa need to fight in a ring to be successful with takedowns. They need corners.

When Josh Thomson fought Kawajiri, he said the main reason he lost is because of ring. Clinching is a lot easier when you have corners.

16. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

war aoki if it happens.

17. Kim Jong Un

Kim Jong Un Absolute Boss

ROAD FC has a much better talent group than I think most people know. I think Aoki is past his prime and Kwon would defeat him.

18. tktptl

tktptl Orange Belt

even Nakamura Koji beat Kwon

Aoki via sub

19. Oshime2

Oshime2 you were too beautiful for this world

His record isn't close enough to .500 for Aoki to take the fight. What do you expect him to do, take a risk?

20. LimitlessZane

LimitlessZane Green Belt

Having the fight in Singapore wouldn't be a waste, Aoki has a large following in singapore because of Evolve and also neighbouring malaysian fans could easily make a road trip to singapore.

Plus singaporean fans also saw koji ando knockout zoro who is also well known there. so there would be some hype around that too.

i do agree that ando vs aoki would probably be a good draw in japan though.

so you are basically admitting Kwon will lose to Aoki and will make his way past him to the Ando vs Aoki fight?

I can think of at least 3 guys on onefc's roster who could beat kwon (like colossa), and probably others who would give him more than a challenge. which is kinda why i think he should fight to earn that title shot first. i know roger huerta is not ranked high in one fc 155lbs div right now (because of a long layoff) but i think he could beat kwon too. timofey nastyukhin is another that comes to mind. there's probaby more that i'm missing

i can see what you're saying, more often Aoki tends to clinch up and then use a foot sweep to get a takedown instead of shooting doubles and singles. i suppose a fight with kwon would be interesting up until that point.

i do remember the road fc ceo at one point saying he wanted a onefc vs road fc event to take place. perhaps they could use this fight to make it happen. it would be like the sengoku vs dream event and Aoki can flip off kwon once he snaps his arm off :icon_chee