A short story : A guy came to our school to test his skills

I'm not going to lie. I do have an ego and don't like being tapped by lower belts. It's one thing to be tapped by your own. However- to be tapped by a white of a different school who came to "test" my school in front of the instructor who awarded me the belt, yeah that sucks. To make it worse, the guy wasn't that great and avoided rolling the entire class after.

In that case, it is just preferable to play it "safe" = boring roll with no risky attempts and just play the clock.

I went to this kungfu school one time in china town and I take my gi. I told the teach wanted to fight the best and test out my karate. I am a green belt and been training for 8 months. That how good I am. I trick the teacher telling him I may want to join. Haha... So he put me with this skinny guy and that asshole kick me in my ears hard. I am tough so When he came in with a round house, I double shuffle and front kick him in the leg. He slip down on the floor and I stomp on his face. He was bleeding from his nose. I then went to the bathroom and left without anyone seeing me. Like a ninja.

Diamond Dave ? Is that you ?:redface:

I am a bit late to the party but I am also a student of keiths and I rolled with the guy first. I had no idea anything about him I thought it was his first time (I was late to class and missed the ipod head banging thing). I just thought he was some nice kid trying jiu jitsu so I put on my nice guy training face gave him a high five and let him take me down and go into side control... then he spazzed out and kneed me in the nose. so then I figured that he was just nervous so I just let him go for a while and he was taking it to the %100 percent. he was all knuckles and elbows. and I kid you not it took me a full to minutes to realize that this guy had some background in grappling and was really trying to go for the GOLD!
So then I was cool with that so I just starting rolling with a little bit more skill, caught him in an triangle- then he opted for the pick me up and try to drop me on my head escape.
but to be honest I did not give him "the pepper" so to speak I went pretty light and let him go for it, at the end I said thanks and said that with practice and technique he wouldnt have to work so hard. he did not say anything and walked away.
and I am sure that all my fellow team mates rolled in a similar fashion so it was pretty fluffy fun stuff.
or at least it seemed that way to me

Usually when I roll with someone the first time I go easy and sometimes let them tap me. Sometimes it gets to some people's heads and they think sparring=competition.

ahhh i see

with the belt comes expectation and responsibilities.
If your instructor matches you with a "stranger" and you do not feel up to the task.
the best is just to play it safe.

P.S I do not agree with the need of defending your belt against lower belt especially outsiders. but ego is a bitch and it does serve a purpose...make you work harder...

Hellz yeah. Everyone thinks they are tough shit because they used to wrestle or watch a lot of MMA. (I bet he was a TUF noob).

Biggest pet peeve of mine are these kids, these frat boy douchebags, who walk around wearing Tapout like they have a 6 fight contract in the UFC, yet they have NEVER trained, spared, rolled, or worked out in martial arts a day in their life!

Back