A short story : A guy came to our school to test his skills

I have it written out in full somewhere - but a couple of Gracie University students came in to roll with us one day. A six-month white belt tapped one out with shoulder pressure.

A week earlier, they had apparently challenged the instructor at a JJJ school (I know the guy,) and got waxed, though not injured.

Are you serious? man i want to hear this story .

We had a guy come in once that said he trained and had prior grappling experience he was in my guard and started palming me in the face, I was like wtf he said it would be more "real " and that his buddies grappled in his apartment ....he didnt come back after the whole class had there way with him .

I think it's a general problem amongst younger generation today.
They tend to think they're special.
In fact in BJJ, no one is special unless you put in the hard work.
I blame all the media and marketing hype for this - all the instant gratification, sensationalism and over exaggeration of everything MMA and BJJ.

Honestly I was a bit pissed off after my first class of BJJ. Thought I was duped.
I was thinking to myself - "I thought this BJJ thing is designed for the weak, damn this is hard"
Helio tricked me.
After my first class I realized it's gonna be a long time before I get good with this thing...
It's true. Parents are so overly supportive in a way that gives their children an unrealistic view on what they can do. They are given everything and give nothing in return. It's rediculous.

Why should the instructor let this guy potentially embarrass or even hurt a white belt? no one knew what the guy was up to, he could possibly have done a lot of damage if he wanted to. Best to put him with a highly skilled individual first who could handle any shit this kid pulled.

Exactly... some of these newbies with muscles are dangerous to roll with and could hurt a white belt who is the same size or smaller than them.

Good post.

I think these people shouldn't be allowed to train because they always act like they're the best and all they do is prove to be a danger to others because they consider powering out of moves a legitimate style.

I think it's a general problem amongst younger generation today.
They tend to think they're special.
In fact in BJJ, no one is special unless you put in the hard work.
I blame all the media and marketing hype for this - all the instant gratification, sensationalism and over exaggeration of everything MMA and BJJ.

Honestly I was a bit pissed off after my first class of BJJ. Thought I was duped.
I was thinking to myself - "I thought this BJJ thing is designed for the weak, damn this is hard"
Helio tricked me.
After my first class I realized it's gonna be a long time before I get good with this thing...

This.
We have a kid at our school who is involved in the kids program. He is 13 years old and he has taken all kinds of TMA before coming in. Really good kid, a little hyper, but what 13 year old isn't.
The only problem comes up is when he gets tapped, (at least once a class) he starts crying. Not from the pain, or anything, just the fact of losing.
And I don't even think it is embarrassment. When I was a kid I would be more embarrassed to cry in front of my friends than to get beat up in front of them. I think it is just from the simple fact of actually losing. All this crap with this generation where everyone gets a trophy and even if your kid loses the big game the coach still wants to take them out for a pizza party (because we are all winners) is nothing but bullshit. When reality kick in these kids are not prepared in the least. The only way you can get through life on your own is hard work, and taking your losses in stride, dusting yourself off and getting back in there and giving the other guy hell until you can come out on top.
BJJ teaches this where no other sport truly does in my opinion.

When talking to somebody with a mental disability it is courtesy to talk to them at a normal level and then work your way down until you find the appropriate level. Why should it be different in BJJ when somebody challenges you?

talking to someone with special needs and controlling someone with the intent and skills to seriously injure your students is hardly the same thing.

This guy has made it vocal that he wants to test himself, which means he is already overzealous, putting him in with a lower belt drastically increases the chances that someone is really going to get hurt.

either he is amazing and over cranks an arm etc or the white belt hasnt learned control and goes balls out hurting the new guy.

All in all its safer to put him against experience that wont risk anyone

May be he thought because he was Brazilian he automatically gets a bump in belt.
Kinda like how stupid people think if you're Chinese you know kung fu from back in the day....

C'mon. Everyone knows that all Chinese people know kung-fu. Some say they don't but that's to lull you into lowering your defenses.

Good point. While he does sound like a douche, was it really beneficial for anyone to embarass him and have him leave, (probably) never to come back?

Not very good business.

Yes, its good to do this type of thing to him and also to start at the top and work your way down. If you get a guy off the street who wants to "test" himself, he's going to be a spazzy douche thats going to try adn do whatevre he can to catch/hurt the other person if he can. If you start him with a white belt, like was mentioned hes going to have mroe gas to try and muscle through things. last thing you need is him injuring any of your regular students.
At our shcool, any new person is automatically paired up with either a purple adn above or a bigger blue belt. Not only to help him work his way through techniques but also to keep the guy in check if need be.
About every other month, we get a douche bag back coming by our school to "test" themselves.Once and a while, one might last longer than a day. Over time he'll keep getting warned to calm it down adn stop spazzing. Once they start picking on easy prey, those smaller and who are white belts, and injuring a couple, people stop wnating to roll with ihm. So then he's stuck with the upper level guys. After a while they get tired of the elbows to the face and the knees to the balls, and they don't want to roll with him. Finally all thats left is the instructor who has already put a couple beatings on him but nothing too bad.
Dude steps over the line, sitting on the opposite side of the mats, calls out the instructor to roll with him, makes the instructor walk over to him, then proceeds to try adn "beat" him. The instructor takes the spazzing and muscling in stride, but after a couple of elbows to the face and kjnes to the balls, has enough and starts using the other guys "techniques" right back on him. In the end, the instructor is pissed, catches the guy with a submission, holds it out a couple seconds longer, just like the guy does to other people, then pushes him off, cusses him out, adn tells him to get out. Guy trys apologizing, then goes to tthe police to report the instructor.

F*ing BS

This is why you embarrass them and have them leave, so they never come back and try this sh*t.

Lol @ the people suggesting that they should have let him roll with white belts first, like a movie where they feed a guy low level henchmen and then he has to fight his way up to the boss.

we had a similar situation in my boxing gym, we had the dude sign a waiver, and my trainer let me beat the crap out of the guy for 1 round he also gassed badly and I knocked him down 4 times with headgear on, I'm a 5'8", dude was 6'0" tall, I'm also an average boxer compared to the pro and amateurs at my gym , just like people think the can do BJJ even more people think they can box because they've been in street fights.

Lol @ the people suggesting that they should have let him roll with white belts first, like a movie where they feed a guy low level henchmen and then he has to fight his way up to the boss.

:icon_chee
I laughed

lol, yeah... "beat my students, and then you can roll with me"

Yes, its good to do this type of thing to him and also to start at the top and work your way down. If you get a guy off the street who wants to "test" himself, he's going to be a spazzy douche thats going to try adn do whatevre he can to catch/hurt the other person if he can. If you start him with a white belt, like was mentioned hes going to have mroe gas to try and muscle through things. last thing you need is him injuring any of your regular students.
At our shcool, any new person is automatically paired up with either a purple adn above or a bigger blue belt. Not only to help him work his way through techniques but also to keep the guy in check if need be.
About every other month, we get a douche bag back coming by our school to "test" themselves.Once and a while, one might last longer than a day. Over time he'll keep getting warned to calm it down adn stop spazzing. Once they start picking on easy prey, those smaller and who are white belts, and injuring a couple, people stop wnating to roll with ihm. So then he's stuck with the upper level guys. After a while they get tired of the elbows to the face and the knees to the balls, and they don't want to roll with him. Finally all thats left is the instructor who has already put a couple beatings on him but nothing too bad.
Dude steps over the line, sitting on the opposite side of the mats, calls out the instructor to roll with him, makes the instructor walk over to him, then proceeds to try adn "beat" him. The instructor takes the spazzing and muscling in stride, but after a couple of elbows to the face and kjnes to the balls, has enough and starts using the other guys "techniques" right back on him. In the end, the instructor is pissed, catches the guy with a submission, holds it out a couple seconds longer, just like the guy does to other people, then pushes him off, cusses him out, adn tells him to get out. Guy trys apologizing, then goes to tthe police to report the instructor.

F*ing BS

This is why you embarrass them and have them leave, so they never come back and try this sh*t.

Why did your school/instructor let things out of hand in the first place? First injury on WB should have kept things in perspective and stop the dude from rolling, he's not your student anyway. Strange...:confused:

That's an awfully blanket statement. I love BJJ too, but let's not pretend it's the only thing out there.

i would say most individual sports can teach this to some degree. i think that combat sports teach it the best though. after all, fighting is the most basic form of competition. tens of thousands of years ago people didn't play tennis for resources and survival. no, they fought each other.

competing in a sport where the objective is to physically dominate another human being into submission or incapacitation can teach kids some very very valuable lessons.

Why did your school/instructor let things out of hand in the first place? First injury on WB should have kept things in perspective and stop the dude from rolling, he's not your student anyway. Strange...:confused:

I don't think his instructor did not let things out of hand.

He matched the new guy to some solid students and once he got called out, then he gave him a beating.

But once in a while, you will have that type of guys that just want to dominate somebody weaker..

that is why instructor should always matched up people and do not let people choose their own training partner.

Hahahaha! Classic! :icon_twis

F*ing BS

Did anything happen with the police report, just curious?

F*ing BS

This is why smart instructors will make the 'walk-in-tough-guy' sign a waiver and pay a mat fee to roll for the class....Usually they don't want to pay the fee, so they watch a little and leave....your school doesn't have to teach any douche bag a lesson. Your school is there for you to learn ...

I'm quite happy to turn up at a new class and say 'I know nothing, teach me!'. Best way I think.

Back