A short story : A guy came to our school to test his skills

I was hoping you were gonna tell us he got his ass kicked by Ari Bolden but this was almost as good. War BJJ!

Yeah I was totally hoping for that ending too.

"First he rolled with a purple belt and got annihilated. Then he rolled with a blue belt but still got tapped. Then he rolled with a white belt but got positionally dominated...

...THEN Ari Bolden just happened to be there that day and tapped him with a Pentagram Choke that he immediately put on YouTube an hour later. By the next morning, there were 32 comments under the video stating that only the absolute worst grappler in the world could possibly be tapped by such a flawed technique."

If only you could see the pre-rolling highlight reel montage of awesomeness going through his head when he was getting pumped up- before he got smashed.

If only you could see the pre-rolling highlight reel montage of awesomeness going through his head when he was getting pumped up- before he got smashed.

Still, I don't take pleasure in other people failing.

Why didn't he start with the white belts first? If you gassed him out enough probably the kiddie class white belts could have hung with him. You don't know anything about this person; yet, it was fun to lower his self-esteem. Sounds like a whole bunch of people with problems, not just the one guy.

On the other hand, you don't want to unleash an unknown quantity on folks not equipped to handle it. If he hurt them (via spazzing, strength, slamming, etc.) it'd be a shame. A blue belt (or maybe even a 4 stripe "gatekeeper") ought to be able to handle themselves, even if the person were way better. A couple rolls with experienced folks ought to shake out who they should be rolling with.

Personally, I'd probably enjoy the experience TS described. A night without tapping anybody is not a failure (and still happens to me). Especially if you get to roll with Keith Owen! But I do usually prefer to get a mix of experience levels (more, even, and less).

Why didn't he start with the white belts first? If you gassed him out enough probably the kiddie class white belts could have hung with him. You don't know anything about this person; yet, it was fun to lower his self-esteem. Sounds like a whole bunch of people with problems, not just the one guy.

Yeah the Head Instructor was right to put him with someone of a higher belt to avoid having one of the white belts injured.

A guy with that type of ego needs to be handled very carefully. The Head Instructor's first responsibility is toward his current students, not just growing his business. The fact of the matter is that I have rarely seen a guy that comes in under these types of circumstances have the light bulb switch on and turn in to a student with the proper attitude.

Let's look at the facts here:

1) He came in to 'test his skills' which is somewhat confrontational as classes are for building skills and tournaments are for testing skills. So he essentially said that I'm here to tap some people out which is disrespectful.

2) The guy left without signing up. If he had the right attitude about learning he would have signed up. He didn't come in to the schools saying, "I'm interested in possibly signing up." The idea that the Head Instructor should be bending over backwards to make a guy that doesn't even sound like a legit prospect feel comfortable is ridiculous. Had he shown initial interest in LEARNING the interaction would have been different guaranteed.

3) It would have looked bad for the school from the Head Instructor down to the students if they allowed a douche bag off the streets to come in there with that attitude and have any type of unwarranted success. The students pay a fee to learn BJJ and their BJJ should be better than some clown off the streets. If it wasn't then that would be a problem. Obviously that wasn't the case - which is a good thing.

4) The guy got exactly what he requested. He wanted to find out at what approximate belt level his skills were at. He found out he's a white belt, which is exactly the information he expected. Sounds like excellent customer service to me. Give the customer what they want. Had he requested to learn I have no doubt he would be learning. He wanted to know what belt he would be approximately and he found out. Sounds like a filled request to me.

I'm tired of the notion that every jack ass off the streets should be treated with respect when these people do not come in to the academy with respect. If you come in acting like a jack ass expect to be treated differently than someone that acts with respect.

The backyard grappler movement strikes again. I love these stories.

It's not all just backyard wrestlers being cocky, like this case obviously was. The same thing happened to me when I was a kid. I had been training for about a year at that point in time. I didn't expect to walk through everyone or dominate the instructor, I just wanted to learn some new stuff, have fun, and roll. When time came around to roll, I got thrown in with two brown belts who, needless to say, beat me without much effort.

I didn't get pissed because I got whooped. Instead, I had a lot of fun, learned some new stuff, and talked with some of the guys about different techniques. If it weren't for that humbling experience, I probably wouldn't have been inclined to continue training as I have. This kid that TS speaks of was obviously close-minded and ignorant. There is no problem with wanting to test yourself at a local gym, just be open-minded and humble about it.

When talking to somebody with a mental disability it is courtesy to talk to them at a normal level and then work your way down until you find the appropriate level. Why should it be different in BJJ when somebody challenges you?

good analogy, i like it

New guys should always start with higher belts. If they are spazzes then a higher belt can handle a lower belt might get hurt. As the tire out then it becomes safer. The guys rolling didn't try extra hard to win they didn't know that he was testing himself.

Why should the instructor let this guy potentially embarrass or even hurt a white belt? no one knew what the guy was up to, he could possibly have done a lot of damage if he wanted to. Best to put him with a highly skilled individual first who could handle any shit this kid pulled.

this: I would trust Keith's opinion of what to do over some random internet poster. I mean keith is a black belt and owner of the school and all, and he seems like a nice guy

Still, I don't take pleasure in other people failing.

do you train bjj?

Is there anyone who went to first day of bjj class and did not get totally dominated?

i mean, that is the main selling point: bjj works.

if you are new, a 2 stripe wb is gonna dominate you.

I took okinawan karate when i was about 15. I was a wb and sparred with a purple belt my same age/size and beat him easily.
That was the last time i went to class.

Delusional fools are always good for a good laugh. :D

do you train bjj?

Is there anyone who went to first day of bjj class and did not get totally dominated?

i mean, that is the main selling point: bjj works.

if you are new, a 2 stripe wb is gonna dominate you.

I took okinawan karate when i was about 15. I was a wb and sparred with a purple belt my same age/size and beat him easily.
That was the last time i went to class.

Yes, I've been training for years. My first day of bjj actually went pretty well, I wrestled in college. I'll disagree with the blanket statement of 'a 2 stripe whitebelt' automatically dominating a new guy.

My first day of training at an MMA gym was different. We did an hour of pad work and then partnered up for sparring sessions, I (unknowingly) partnered up with Jeremy Stephens. That did not go very well. Not very well at all.

If someone new comes in my gym, I try to be helpful and encouraging. I gain nothing by beating the shit out of cocky new guys and making them not want to come back.

If some guy came into our Judo club with a chip on his shoulder, the very last thing I would do is unleash untrained thuggery on one of my whitebelts. Not only is he likely to hurt someone (and not in a legitimate way), but he is also at great risk of getting injured himself. Starting with an experienced opponent also means that they will be in the hands of someone who knows when they have won and won't keep pushing until something snaps. It's the best choice for both parties, even when they don't have that chip.

I have it written out in full somewhere - but a couple of Gracie University students came in to roll with us one day. A six-month white belt tapped one out with shoulder pressure.

A week earlier, they had apparently challenged the instructor at a JJJ school (I know the guy,) and got waxed, though not injured.

you must dig up this post. ty.

Yes, I've been training for years. My first day of bjj actually went pretty well, I wrestled in college. I'll disagree with the blanket statement of 'a 2 stripe whitebelt' automatically dominating a new guy.

My first day of training at an MMA gym was different. We did an hour of pad work and then partnered up for sparring sessions, I (unknowingly) partnered up with Jeremy Stephens. That did not go very well. Not very well at all.

If someone new comes in my gym, I try to be helpful and encouraging. I gain nothing by beating the shit out of cocky new guys and making them not want to come back.
how nice it would be if every MA practitioner has the same mindset as yours, esp. in BJJ...

I have it written out in full somewhere - but a couple of Gracie University students came in to roll with us one day. A six-month white belt tapped one out with shoulder pressure.

A week earlier, they had apparently challenged the instructor at a JJJ school (I know the guy,) and got waxed, though not injured.

Please provide the link about this GU story... :)

The only thing that would make that story better would be if someone dug up a thread where a guy named "Da Tapouter" or something, where he said he could probably tap out a purple bet and was going up to a school to try. lol.

this: I would trust Keith's opinion of what to do over some random internet poster. I mean keith is a black belt and owner of the school and all, and he seems like a nice guy

Keith a very nice guy and fun to be around. His number one goal is to have a fun welcoming gym to everyone. He excepts his students to be helpful and make new people or just passer throughs to have a great time. We all love to have new people come in. Even people you know aren't there to learn or sign up. It much more pleasant to send guys on there way with a smile than a stare down. Safety for his paying students is high priority though. No spazz should every come in and injure someone so they can't train. We all take care of each other.

Good point. While he does sound like a douche, was it really beneficial for anyone to embarass him and have him leave, (probably) never to come back?

Not very good business.
how does rolling with him qualify as embarrassing him? he wanted to test his skills, are they supposed to let him win so he feels better about himself?

Back