A Shocking Absence of Big Fights Booked

Reaction score
My best friend (who is a casual but interested fight fan) asked me today what big fights are coming up. And as I scanned Sherdog, it occurred to me that the UFC has actually totally dropped the ball. Specifically:

-Stipe may or may not fight Ngannou in March.
-Jones is in suspended animation
-Blachowicz may or may not fight Adesanya in February-April.
-Whittaker will not fight until at least February.
-None of Usman, Colby, Burns, or Masvidal are booked at 170.
-Khabib is on the shelf, likely forever, as is GSP.
-Conor, Dustin, Justin, Tony, and Chandler are all unbooked, as is Hooker.
-Volk will fight Ortega, but again, not yet booked.
-Cody is unbooked.
-Weili is unbooked.

Instead, we have Valentina in a fight nobody wants to see as the co-main event for a dreadful 125 title affair between DFig and...some guy named Perez? The December card is Yan v. Sterling, which is fine...but not as the main event of the end of the year mega card.

We are getting nothing. Why? Were is the building anticipation? And where the fuck is Uber-Jones????

Lw has too many fucking divas

They get a name then they wanna get paid a bit

it’s fair enough

My best friend (who is a casual but interested fight fan) asked me today what big fights are coming up. And as I scanned Sherdog, it occurred to me that the UFC has actually totally dropped the ball. Specifically:

-Cody is unbooked.
-Weili is unbooked.

Instead, we have Valentina in a fight nobody wants to see as the co-main event for a dreadful 125 title affair between DFig and...some guy named Perez? The December card is Yan v. Sterling, which is fine...but not as the main event of the end of the year mega card.

We are getting nothing. Why? Were is the building anticipation? And where the fuck is Uber-Jones????

Overeem vs Volkov should be good.

Looking at the schedule there seems to be quite a few.

-Cody is unbooked.
-Weili is unbooked.

There's still a lot of time for them to get those fights booked. They haven't been requiring as much time in their planning as before, fights have been booked on short notice and within 2 months of the fight date. I'm sure they are just working out the details with scheduling and fighters accepting the fights to make it official.

Never looked at like that ts. You just ruined the holidays and rightfully so. A bunch of hypotheticals and fights up in the air.

I'm sure we'll be entertained and find some sneaky good fights along the way. At this point there's a lot up in the air in many things and hopefully we're still talking about some good fights in a couple months.

You're right ufc dropped the ball for end of the year quality matches I agree. Not the first year it happens either. They have been so inconsistent.

-Cody is unbooked.
-Weili is unbooked.

saving it all for the super spreader events

Best fights before the end of the year that I can think of off the top of my head are Yan vs Sterling and Khamzat vs Edwards.

Conor Vs Dustin sounds more or less done. They're trying to make Ferguson Vs Chandler. Zhang/Rose should be coming up in the new year as should Usman/Burns and Volkanovski/Ortega.

Still plenty to look forward to.

I mean we had the highly anticipated Nunes vs. Megan Anderson ripped away from us. Probably would have been fight of the year.

Highly anticipated as in the 1% chance that Megan would not be K'TFO ????

I've said it before and I'll say it again. One of the worst changes to the UFC after the WME acquisition is the matchmaking. Joe Silva did his job and did it well. He understood that styles make fights and made interesting matchups. I can't say the same for the guys in charge now. The matchmakers now any fan could do the job they're doing.

The ufc can’t consistently book big fights anymore. The best fighters fight so rarely now.
True, but I personally would like 1 big fight a month. There are 8 men divisions and a few nice women bouts you can make. So if every champ fight once a year, you can make a huge fight every 3 weeks. Especially since most divisions have some crazy non title fight matches you can make. I prefer that over a stacked triple title fight card, but maybe I’m a minority

I thought that post lockdown would give us plenty of stacked cards...
Oh boy I was wrong

Back