A Sad Day In Court For Dogs And Their Owners

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/news/federal-court-rules-police-shoot-162939226.html

A federal court in Grand Rapids, Michigan, ruled that police can shoot a dog while entering a home if the animal “moves or barks” in the officer’s presence.

“Given the totality of the circumstances and viewed from the perspective of an objectively reasonable officer, the dog poses an imminent threat to the officer’s safety,” the ruling reads. “The standard we set out today is that a police officer’s use of deadly force against a dog while executing a search warrant to search a home for illegal drug activity is reasonable under the Fourth Amendment when … the dog poses an imminent threat to the officer’s safety.”

I've never personally seen someone injured by barking. This amounts to a license to kill for the police since damn near every dog barks at strangers. Unless you wire the inside of your home for surveillance how can you prove the dog was silent?

Cops shooting dogs rustles my jimmies. :mad::mad::mad:

9/10 Cops are entering the homes of people who dogs DO bite and attack because their owners are low life criminals

Most people I know regard their pets as family members. If you kill someone's family member, it's a really safe bet they're gona want you dead.

Really fucking stupid decision here.

Brutal. And made worse with no knock warrants and mistaken address searches. Shit, there was a story last year where a cop responded to an alarm call and killed the dog before the homeowner could tell him everything was ok.

The double standard is complete bs as well. Your dog is only considered property with a dollar value attached to it, while cop dogs are considered LEOs with assault charges pending if you harm them.

All cops need to do is carry a cooked and marinated T-Bone Steak every time they enter a house with dog. That will take care of dog.

I think the cops should have the ability to do so in the case that the dog literally does pose a danger, I mean we've all seen some giant dogs, and you know thugs love pit bulls, but I also think that the cause should be legit and there should be a way for people whos dogs have been unjustly killed to sue

I think the cops should have the ability to do so in the case that the dog literally does pose a danger, I mean we've all seen some giant dogs, and you know thugs love pit bulls, but I also think that the cause should be legit and there should be a way for people whos dogs have been unjustly killed to sue
Sue, and get monetary compensation. "Here's 50 bucks for that mutt you picked up from the pound."

Every dog I've ever had was protective of their territory. It's ingrained in many breeds, and is partly a reason to own them.

Last edited:
Deadly force should be the same for dogs as people.

Reasonable fear of great bodily harm or death.

Just barking doesn't sound like it meets this.

200_s.gif

Every dog I've ever had was protective of their territory. It's ingrained in many breeds, and is partly a reason to osn them.

I agree, but not my dog--he would greet Freddy Kreuger with a smile and wag.

Deadly force should be the same for dogs as people.

Reasonable fear of great bodily harm or death.

Just barking doesn't sound like it meets this.

This is the obvious way to go.

I also agree with the guy who says thugs don't take good care of their dogs, so it adds another dimension of suckage.

I'm okay with police shooting dogs if they are in danger. Here's the problem tho; I've seen thousands of videos now where police officers will casually kill the person's dog like it's standard procedure.

Sounds like a dumb ass law. I've met plenty of friendly dogs that moved towards me to sniff or lick my hand.

A dog has no rights. It is mere chattel. The rights of the owner are just like any other chattel property. At most, the police should have to pay for the value of the dog.

And unlike a human, I think we ought to be fairly deferential to a police officer's discretion as to whether the dog presents an imminent threat of bodily harm. When weighing the interests, the dog's life is worthless compared to a human's. I'd rather 10 millions dogs be wrongfully shot than 1 cop be mauled to death by a dog.

It's a pet, not a person, ya sociopaths.

I'm okay with police shooting dogs if they are in danger. Here's the problem tho; I've seen thousands of videos now where police officers will casually kill the person's dog like it's standard procedure.
The scary thing is all that is needed for justification for is "I was in fear", to wash their hands of bullshit. Many people view their pets as family. I have 2 great danes I consider my children. Should one of them fall to bullshit, and knowing it would lead to my assured demise, I would not hesitate to expend any and all resources possible to return the favor in spades.

This decision is nothing more than trying to provoke a reaction for certain reasons.

I have a rott mix. He's a badass dog. He loves his family (us). If people come down our driveway, he lets us know and he lets them know that this is his house. And he does his job well. It's what God made these dogs for. And it's beautiful.

The mailman knows him by name and always brings him a treat.

Thankfully most cops empathize more towards dogs than they do to the poverty riddled scum humans they usually deal in those type of situations.

Hopefully they show the restraint and judgment befitting a LEO...when it comes to the dogs.

Then they got the nerve to wonder why the us vs them divide just keeps on growing.

Little things add up.

Also cops show up for all kinds of things like tripped alarms and smoking someones family pet if you dont have to doesnt seem like the best way to protect and serve.

Also no knock raids should be banned they endanger everyone. They also whoops wrong house way to often and innocent people and pets do get hurt. I know its hard to believe but its true. The police is people just like anyone else and they fuck up all the time.

I have a rott mix. He's a badass dog. He loves his family (us). If people come down our driveway, he lets us know and he lets them know that this is his house. And he does his job well. It's what God made these dogs for. And it's beautiful.

The mailman knows him by name and always brings him a treat.
You should hug him and let him "root around", in whatever obscene sniffs he comes across on your next "constitutional".

A dog has no rights. It is mere chattel. The rights of the owner are just like any other chattel property. At most, the police should have to pay for the value of the dog.

And unlike a human, I think we ought to be fairly deferential to a police officer's discretion as to whether the dog presents an imminent threat of bodily harm. When weighing the interests, the dog's life is worthless compared to a human's. I'd rather 10 millions dogs be wrongfully shot than 1 cop be mauled to death by a dog.

It's a pet, not a person, ya sociopaths.

I have yet to see any reason to defer to a police officers judgement. Especially in th8s case, given how many videos there are of them acting egregiously.

Back