A refutation of Trump vs. the GOP

There are people who simply can't stand Trump's rhetoric while in office and wouldn't vote for him again. One of my Navy buddies couldn't bring herself to vote for either candidate so she voted third party.

Trump is a loud mouthed egotist. Months into his Presidency I hoped that he would soften his tone and learn to step away from Twitter or at least think before posting. Nope. He's like so many celebrities who can't help but irritate people on Social Media damn the consequences.

The corruption of the Legislative is pretty much entrenched and constant, they don't really care who the President is as long as he doesn't go after their patrons. The GOP is definitely glad to see him gone though, praising him was just an easy way to have him in your pocket. I don't see Biden taking too many drastic steps during his Presidency, so they can just go back to looting the Republic and try their luck again in 4 years. They got the Supreme Court seat, that's a huge win for them.

That analysis is shaky, but the link within it to the exit polls is a good one.

Looking at the exit poll, I'm having trouble undestanding the article's claim about Trump doing better with minorities than any Republican since 1960.

It looks like that particular exit poll has Trump doing:
Black: 12%
Hispanic: 32%
Asian: 31%
Other: 40%

But that is not better than George W. Bush in 2004:

Black: 11%
Hispanic: 44%
Asian: 44%

https://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

That analysis is shaky, but the link within it to the exit polls is a good one.

Looking at the exit poll, I'm having trouble undestanding the article's claim about Trump doing better with minorities than any Republican since 1960.

It looks like that particular exit poll has Trump doing:
Black: 12%
Hispanic: 32%
Asian: 31%

But that is not better than George W. Bush in 2004:

Black: 11%
Hispanic: 44%
Asian: 44%

https://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

They are percentage of percentages and need to be weighted accordingly.

Trump:
white vote: .65 * .57 = .3705
black vote: .12 * .12 = .0144
latino vote: .13 * .32 = .0416
asian vote: .03 * .31 = .0093
other vote: .06 * .40 = .024
non-white vote: .0144 + .0416 + .0093 + .024 = .0893

Bush:
white vote: .77 * .58 = .4466
black vote: .11 * .11 = .0121
latino vote: .08 * .44 = .0352
asian vote: .02 * .44 = .0088
other vote: .02 * .40 = .008
non-white vote: .0121 + .0352 + .0088 + .008 = .0641

Trump is going to lose the election. However, the GOP isn't losing the Senate and might actually pick up seats in the House.

Is it fair to see this as a denouncement of Trump's specific approach to governing and not of conservative political ideology itself?

Personally, that's what I want to believe. I've spent the last 4 years watching Trump govern as poorly as possible while somehow having his behavior praised loudly. My biggest concern was that Trump's incompetence and other, ahem, flaws would horribly set back the GOP for years to come. If the GOP maintains its positions in Congress while Trump gets voted out of office, I think it firmly establishes just how bad a President he was. Moreover, it should, but won't, reaffirm that the Trumpists were cheering poor behavior, not good governing.

It's fascinating to be sure. As much as I hate Mitch McConnell, I still understand and even appreciate that he is one smart, crafty motherfucker. It would not surprise me at all that a Republican Senate to block stacking, along with Trump being gone, was Mitch's dream scenario.

Have you noticed hardly any Republican Senators are joining Trumps insane voter fraud rampage? They needed the massive Trump voter turnout to get some of the Senate races over the hurdle. With that done, I think they will be more than happy to take him out to the woods and put him down.

Trump is going to lose the election. However, the GOP isn't losing the Senate and might actually pick up seats in the House.

Is it fair to see this as a denouncement of Trump's specific approach to governing and not of conservative political ideology itself?

Personally, that's what I want to believe. I've spent the last 4 years watching Trump govern as poorly as possible while somehow having his behavior praised loudly. My biggest concern was that Trump's incompetence and other, ahem, flaws would horribly set back the GOP for years to come. If the GOP maintains its positions in Congress while Trump gets voted out of office, I think it firmly establishes just how bad a President he was. Moreover, it should, but won't, reaffirm that the Trumpists were cheering poor behavior, not good governing.
The Trump base are single issue voters, the issue isn’t the economy, covid, or manufacturing jobs. Their single issue is a demographic shift threatening white rule, or letting in so many brown people that the US becomes a 3rd world country. Nobody wants to talk about this bluntly, but that’s what’s happening. Trump has fucked up in all areas except immigration, he’s actually delivered for his base on the single issue they care about. If you ask them none (or few) of Trump’s core supporters will admit whats really driving them but it’s seems obvious. Of course this portends very poorly for the future of this country, because it opens the doors of power to any sociopathic politician who vows to make draconian immigration policies their central issue. If Ted Bundy pledged to stop immigration and keep America white he would win roughly 60-65 million votes in a presidential election.

The Tea Party still exists and this movement will only grow stronger. Trump is an amazing leader but the movement will continue. His 65 million voters won't simply disappear.

Republicans are going to stand by and stand back then redouble their efforts and organize themselves behind a more charismatic and intelligent fascist since it demonstrability worked so well for them with this total jerk idiot.

OMG, I can see Mitch Mc Connell and his henchmen in some deep underground lab as they use different body parts and organs from prominent Republicans to create the ultimate republican Frankenstein to run in 2024. <Ellaria01>

It's fascinating to be sure. As much as I hate Mitch McConnell, I still understand and even appreciate that he is one smart, crafty motherfucker. It would not surprise me at all that a Republican Senate to block stacking, along with Trump being gone, was Mitch's dream scenario.

Have you noticed hardly any Republican Senators are joining Trumps insane voter fraud rampage? They needed the massive Trump voter turnout to get some of the Senate races over the hurdle. With that done, I think they will be more than happy to take him out to the woods and put him down.

Pretty much. Trump is like that superstar WR who can't shut the fuck up and just play. Everyone know how that story ends. As soon as production dips they get cut because the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Let's face it, it took a bit of divine intervention to throw Trump off track from governing another 4 years. COVID was just a massive blow and he wasn't able the handle it.

It's looking like he's going to match Obama's record-breaking 2008 popular vote, so he certainly has a lot of supporters still. As well as a lot of haters, obviously.

The Trump base are single issue voters, the issue isn’t the economy, covid, or manufacturing jobs. Their single issue is a demographic shift threatening white rule, or letting in so many brown people that the US becomes a 3rd world country. Nobody wants to talk about this bluntly, but that’s what’s happening. Trump has fucked up in all areas except immigration, he’s actually delivered for his base on the single issue they care about. If you ask them none (or few) of Trump’s core supporters will admit whats really driving them but it’s seems obvious. Of course this portends very poorly for the future of this country, because it opens the doors of power to any sociopathic politician who vows to make draconian immigration policies their central issue. If Ted Bundy pledged to stop immigration and keep America white he would win roughly 60-65 million votes in a presidential election.

This....

I have said it from the beginning, this is what Trumpism is all about. Remember he's initial speech about Mexicans coming in raping etc etc.... That was what gained him popularity and started his rise. Its a White identity movement at its core..

So I'm supposed to believe close to 67 million people in this country are afraid of white rule. I have family members who support trump and their dads immigrated from the ME to become software engineers here. I've seen him bang chicks of all colors but I'm supposed to believe he's scared of white rule now when he's only half white himself? Some of you seriously need to get off your high horse. You don't have life figured out and you certainly don't have the 67 mil + voters who picked for trump figured out. Let go of your ego. You don't understand what's going on here and just accept that you don't. It's a complicated issue and not one that can be explained away with silly statements like "It's because they are afraid of immigrants".

So I'm supposed to believe close to 67 million people in this country are afraid of white rule. I have family members who support trump and their dads immigrated from the ME to become software engineers here. I've seen him bang chicks of all colors but I'm supposed to believe he's scared of white rule now when he's only half white himself? Some of you seriously need to get off your high horse. You don't have life figured out and you certainly don't have the 67 mil + voters who picked for trump figured out. Let go of your ego. You don't understand what's going on here and just accept that you don't. It's a complicated issue and not one that can be explained away with silly statements like "It's because they are afraid of immigrants".
Not all 67%, but his core base is animated by immigration and demographic shifts. Sorry this is uncomfortable for you, it’s the truth. Republicans get triggered when you point out in plain language what they’re really thinking (can’t have brown and black people turn our country into a shit hole). That doesn’t mean that the 10% of black people, or the 30% of Latinos that voted for Trump are motivated by this, they vote for different reasons. But a big part of the coalition are white people wanting to maintain white rule.

That's bullshit. It's a fallacy that you've convinced yourself of. You lost credibility when you painted an entire group with one broad brush.

Might as well say that Obama's base only voted for him because he's "black". That's the only reason that they voted for him.

It's foolish.

That's bullshit. It's a fallacy that you've convinced yourself of. You lost credibility when you painted an entire group with one broad brush.

Might as well say that Obama's base only voted for him because he's "black". That's the only reason that they voted for him.
I didn’t paint the entire group with that brush, I specifically referred to his “base”. Is that 100% accurate for every Trump voter? No. But we can’t really discuss societal motivations without making a few sweeping statements that are still generally correct. Again, this is a triggering subject so I’m not surprised you’re upset. This is why nobody can successfully explain why a President who has literally not done anything for his core base (no well paying jobs increase, no financial support, no policy wins, no successful improvement of their material lives, plus a horrible bungling of Covid) is still incredibly popular with that base. The one area where Trump has lived up to his promises are on his promise to stop immigration, and his promise to make things difficult for black and brown people. He’s been successful in the one area his base *really* cares about. Of course they won’t admit this in polls, and nobody wants to discuss it.

You should love him. You're nothing but nasty on these forums

I stand up to bullies and those that punch down. Show me being "nasty" to any poster who is not either himself a bully or one expressing praise for bullies.

Trump got 12% of the black vote, 32% hispanics, 30% jews...... who did I leave out? Salty cunt suburban females, whoever thought it was a good idea to give women voting rights........<{hughesimpress}>

<SelenaWow> Unmarried I assume or chained in the kitchen is she..?

Back