Economy A Record Number of Americans Quit Jobs

There's no fucking Entenmann's products at my local supermarkets. This is mayhem, pandemonium! I was in the mood for their chocolate chip cookies.

Millennials: I want a lifestyle like my boomer parents. I want a well-paid job for life and ability to buy a house.

Also millennials: Vote Democrats who are pro mass-immigration, which results in lower wages and higher property prices.

Are they really pro-mass immigration though? It feels like dems have deported the same if not more than Republican presidents. I mean, Obama went crazy with the deportations and people said the same about him.

And just because you don't know what modern warfare looks like, doesn't mean you're not already being subjected to it..
Well, you know what they say, if a tree falls in a forest, nobody gives a fuck.

The idea that you've been working yourselves to death is pretty laughable..

I certainly agree with you there. I'm union.

And I don't think that any nation outside of the Middle East is more hung up on gender stereotypes than you are. You're psychotically obsessed.
Idk, Russian, Brazilians, Mexicans... a lot of "machismo" cultures have puckered assholes about gender stereotypes.

As someone from Pittsburgh and knows a lot of PNC employees, I find it bit ironic seeing someone from there comment on this when it is a known practice to leave and come back several months later for more money because of their extremely poor record of raises for existing employees.

Are they really pro-mass immigration though? It feels like dems have deported the same if not more than Republican presidents. I mean, Obama went crazy with the deportations and people said the same about him.

Yeah, I wish they were super pro-immigration, as that's one of the easiest ways to improve quality of life for the country with policy, but the reality is that they're only slightly less supportive of it than Republicans.

Yeah, I wish they were super pro-immigration, as that's one of the easiest ways to improve quality of life for the country with policy, but the reality is that they're only slightly less supportive of it than Republicans.
The countries with the highest quality of life are all generally a mono-culture with very little immigration.

The wash up is,
"Over the 12 months ending in August 2021, hires totaled 72.6 million and separations totaled 66.7
million, yielding a net employment gain of 5.9 million. These totals include workers who may have been hired and separated more than once during the year."

Well, you know what they say, if a tree falls in a forest, nobody gives a fuck.

Didn't think you'd be so open that you think ignorance is bliss. I guess you'd have to be.
Again, pathetic - you're not going to be able to rest on the laurels of yesterday forever.

Idk, Russian, Brazilians, Mexicans... a lot of "machismo" cultures have puckered assholes about gender stereotypes.

I don't see many Russians, Brazilians or Mexicans running around screaming "It's ma'am!!!" like psychos, nor do I see them caring if their toy stores are categorized by gender. They're also not insisting that men and women compete against each other in athletic competition, because they're so sensitive about gender stereotypes that they have to openly ignore biology. I don't think any of those groups have lowered military fitness standards in order to somehow prove - in contradiction of science - that men and women are the same. Those countries rarely ever bring up gender stereotypes or roles.
Your guys' obsession with gender stereotypes is so overwhelming that it causes you to ignore reality (much like the falling tree you don't care about).

Your celebration of ignorance is... interesting, I guess.

If more people are quitting during increased employer demand and with unemployment continuing to fall, that's a good thing.
It means they are getting better jobs.
It's been some time since sticking with a company for raises and promotions was the most viable way to progress.

united-states-unemployment-rate.png

My brother in Law will retire early from the military next month from refusing to take the "shot" . He has experienced adverse effects from other pevious "required" career vaccines, to where he's been hospitalized, and he decided that this one(with a family now) just isn't worth it.

For me, I am not in that same place, I will sadly take the shot if my career "depended" on it. However, I am thankful that my company(of 5,000 employees+) has chosen a "wait and see" approach, and is going delay any enforcement until it is absolutely legally necessary.

A record 4.3 million people quit their jobs in August, evidence of the considerable leverage workers have in today's economy.

About 2.9% of the workforce quit in August, up from 2.7% in July, according to the Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) report, released Tuesday. That marks the highest quit rate since the report began in late 2000.
The number of workers who quit rose by 242,000 from July as more Americans demanded higher pay, better working conditions and more flexible arrangements. Those number of people who quit rose in accommodation and food services, wholesale trade and state and local government education.
"If you're unhappy with your job or want a raise, in the current environment it's pretty easy to find a new one," said Gus Faucher, chief economist at PNC. "We're seeing people vote with their feet."

Companies continue to grapple with a serious worker shortage. Job openings remained very high at the end of August at 10.4 million, the JOLTS report showed. However, that marks a decline of 659,000 from the end of July.

The numbers show the worker shortage was even worse than realized this summer. The number of job openings in July was revised higher to 11.1 million, a record high since this report began in 2000.

'Golden age' for workers
Joe Brusuelas, chief economist at RSM, said this may be witnessing the start of what might eventually be considered the "golden age for the American worker."

"The American worker is now confident that he or she has the bargaining power and can obtain a reasonable wage -- and have influence over the shape of working conditions," Brusuelas said.
That bargaining power comes from their willingness to quit jobs they don't like and look for new ones. And this shift is not merely centered on simple economics -- but a broader reassessment around quality of life and purpose.
"This is what happens after great wars or depressions," Brusuelas said. "It's hard to spot while you're in it, but we've gone through a shock that has elicited an unexpected change upon the population. And it will take some time to sort through."
All of this helps explain why employers, including factories, trucking companies, restaurants, construction firms and schools, are having trouble finding workers.

In the long run, such a workforce transformation will be a positive thing, allowing more people to find satisfaction in their careers and for businesses to have happier employees. And it can allow more workers to make a living wage and contribute to the broader economy, easing the alarming gap between rich and poor.
In the short run, however, the worker shortage will continue to complicate the reopening of the global economy, contributing to rising prices, supply chain stress, product shortages and shipping delays.
"It takes some for these things to work themselves out," said PNC's Faucher.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/12/economy/jolts-job-openings/index.html

Good on my fellow Americans for waking up. I got to work because I have kids, and I've got to get away from those little motherfuckers. But besides that, work sucks and we don't really need to be doing it anymore.

Take this job and stick it.

That goes for you too, Sherdog. I've got a drawer full of legal weed and I'll buy craft beer on food stamps.

I buy it. My job is desperately trying to fill spots since this shit started and those who have stayed like me are reaping benefits. We're getting an extra 500 a month just for being here, extra paid days off, salary raise, etc. I pretty much stand to make like 6k more next year, move up in senority for better days off, and will be able to take off like 36 paid days vacation pretty much by doing nothing. I'd look for a new job but it's risky switching atm with my wife not working and having 2 little ones at home so it's nice to see the benefits of this even staying where I'm at.

If all these non skilled employees moved on to better paying jobs, I hope they gain some skills or else wage inflation will put them right back to square one.

So non skilled workers quit in hopes to find better paying jobs in a time the administration is looking to increase immigration.

K
It’s interesting how much pay and benefits increase when people are not working yet Democrats want open borders and uncontrolled immigration while saying the minimum wage should be increased. People on the left seem to be incapable of seeing closed borders and limited immigration helps American workers.

So non skilled workers quit in hopes to find better paying jobs in a time the administration is looking to increase immigration.

K

For the most part, they are not quitting in the hope of finding a better job. They are quitting for a better job they already got. Unemployment is under 5% and there are 1 million more available jobs than there are unemployed people. Companies could easily address this worker exodus simply by paying people what they clearly have no trouble finding elsewhere.

I find it absolutely baffling that people are actually bitching about wage hikes. It's fucking Stockholm Syndrome. And it hilarious that the people worried about the wage hikes are the same people vehemently opposed to increased immigration, which could ease the pressure. Comedy gold.

I would encourage people to go back and look at what wages and benefits were before the great recession and compare them to now. Companies took an enormous amount away from workers during that period. And they never gave a lot of it back when things improved.

I disagree, I believe it's the segment to be the most myopic and impulsive . If they did find new jobs in that time frame of the report I'm sure it would be reported by the new employers, etc.

It is being reported. You are just not listening. Despite the fact that people are quitting their jobs in record numbers, unemployment is going down.

I will give you a perfect example.

Gx8D8DiM.jpg

buc-ees-logo-vector.png

These are the 2 largest and best gas station/convenient stores in my area. Historically, if you went into a location, you would find the quality of Gate employees measurably better than that of other gas station/convenient stores. They paid their people a little more, and treated them a little better, than the Race-Trac's, BP's, Shell's, and 7-11's in the area.

Then Buc-ee's came in. You can see this sign at pretty much every one of their locations.

5b1965291ae6624d008b4da4

They opened a location less than half a mile away from the Gate by my house. Within 3 months, nearly all of the best Gate employees had moved over to Buc-ee's. One of them is a retired cop who lives 3 doors down from me who had worked at Gate for 4 years. $1.75 an hour and an extra weeks vacation a year is what he left for. He showed loyalty and gave Gate the chance to match it before he left. They didn't.

Now- I am not a huge fan of Buc-ee's. A bit too kitchy for me and I just find their places a little confusing. It's like they can't make up their mind whether they are a gas station, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, or Cracker Barrel store. They have decent BBQ and jerky though. But make no mistake- they are fucking printing money. And they have no problem paying their people more, and treating them better in the process.

Last edited:
Back