A question for the experienced eventgoers.

Moral Victory

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
UFC on fox 14 will be the first event i attend, and i'd like to make the most of it.

Is there an opportunity to take some photos or have a chat with the fighters the days leading up to the fight?
If so, where can you usually find them?

I know there was a mediaday today, and if they're doing something tomorrow i'll pop into town and see if i can find anything, i'll also be there for the weighins.

Also: What are some good things to bring? Going to be there for several hours so i figure a waterbottle and something to keep me awake until 4am, and binoculars ofc^^

ufc-on-fox_14_gustafsson_johnson_EventFeature.png

Found Dana hanging out downtown the day before and other fighters whow weren't fighting at that event. There is usually a meet and greet at those things if I recall

Weidman had a booth set up outside the arena at 171 signing autographed photos. Also there were fighters everywhere inside.

You can't bring anything inside, besides binoculars or a small camera in your pocket. No backpacks or water bottles.

There is no exit and re-entry, so if you want to blaze, do it heavily beforehand, or get a vape pen to sneak hits.

Bring money, everything is expensive. Beer, water, snacks are concert prices. When you go to the stand, get everything you need, as going back between fights means long lines.

I didn't make it to any of the pre-fight events where you get pics and autographs with the fighters on that nights card, but if you get mid-level seats or better you will see "off duty" fighters walking around in the crowd, and they'll usually oblige for a pic etc if you ask nicely at the right time. They also hang around before and after the event, so you can get pics or chat then.

If you get nose bleed tickets, you won't see the fighters walking around on the floor, but you can usually still catch at least a few before and after if you're savvy.

Have fun!

You can't bring anything inside, besides binoculars or a small camera in your pocket. No backpacks or water bottles.

There is no exit and re-entry, so if you want to blaze, do it heavily beforehand, or get a vape pen to sneak hits.

Bring money, everything is expensive. Beer, water, snacks are concert prices. When you go to the stand, get everything you need, as going back between fights means long lines.

I didn't make it to any of the pre-fight events where you get pics and autographs with the fighters on that nights card, but if you get mid-level seats or better you will see "off duty" fighters walking around in the crowd, and they'll usually oblige for a pic etc if you ask nicely at the right time. They also hang around before and after the event, so you can get pics or chat then.

If you get nose bleed tickets, you won't see the fighters walking around on the floor, but you can usually still catch at least a few before and after if you're savvy.

Have fun!

They didn't check anyone when I went. No metal detectors or anything. I specifically remember taking note of how lax security was. I was thinking, damn someone could bring a bomb in here if they wanted.

If you really want to make the most of it, don't do any of those things you want to do. They're great fighters, but that doesn't mean they're great conversationalists. What the fights and leave the waiting in line to get your picture taken with a guy who will never remember or care that he met you up to the teenyboppers.

They didn't check anyone when I went. No metal detectors or anything. I specifically remember taking note of how lax security was. I was thinking, damn someone could bring a bomb in here if they wanted.

Weird, maybe it differs for each venue. I guess i only remember one specific incident, but i had to go put stuff back in the car and then go in.

Or maybe they've changed policy now in an attempt to draw people in. It has been several years since i've gone.

You will not meet the fighters who are fighting but you might meet some who aren't.

Dont bring drinks, no allowed unless its a hidden hipflask.

Did have metal detectors once in my experience.

Expect lots of childish shouting from the crowd. One in 10 is funny. 5 out of 10 pitiful.

Fights are quiter than expected.

Crowd fights are rare.

Definitely go to the q&a and the weigh-ins the day before. A lot of fighters walk around by the stage of the q&a (not the fighters that are fighting the next day). They'll take a pic with you if you ask. Make sure to put your fist up and share with us afterward!

(I've been to a small handful of events, but not super experienced)

Expect lots of drunken idiots who don't care about MMa and only go because it's a cool thing to do.

I once saw Wanderlei Silva walk 20 feet from us, and the guy behind me said "who is that? Is he a fighter?"

Back