A question for boxers regarding weight lifting...

Well, I think that indicates that your program is inefficient, and could be making you feel stiff for that reason. If you've been lifting the same weight for years now, then you're not progressing in terms of strength.

As I said I am not trying to progress more in terms of power lifting.I think I am strong enough to be a force in wrestling terms and punching terms,all I need is an advice on how to get less stiff and whether lifting heavy weights can make you stiff to the point of no return ?

What are you doing for flexibility? When you stopped boxing, did you stop doing training that required flexibility as well?

You're not going to go through the same range of motion with just weightlifting as with boxing so it's natural that you'd lose some flexibility if you weren't specifically addressing it.

What are you doing for flexibility? When you stopped boxing, did you stop doing training that required flexibility as well?

You're not going to go through the same range of motion with just weightlifting as with boxing so it's natural that you'd lose some flexibility if you weren't specifically addressing it.

Stretching is a regular routine when I lift.After each practice I do a complete stretch of all the muscle groups that I worked out on in that practice.

I will definitely include more stretching now since boxing requires it.

Stretching is a regular routine when I lift.After each practice I do a complete stretch of all the muscle groups that I worked out on in that practice.

I will definitely include more stretching now since boxing requires it.

Dynamic or static? If you were doing the standard post-lift static stretch, it doesn't translate as well as a dynamic stretching routine aimed at improving sport movement.

honestly mate, I think you just need to get used to boxing again.

I thought of that as well but that would greatly diminish my wrestling strength wouldn't you agree ?

I would imagine that ur wrestling strength would lack. But I don't do any grappling so no expert there.

I've done weightlifting and boxin and felt I wasnt stiffer but slower, had a lil more power but was meh. I stopped lifting and improved my boxing instead and I'll never touch weights a lot, except maybe the squat everynow and then.

Honestly 100+ years of non weightlifting in boxings top echelon so I don't really see the need for lifting weights, and most successful ammies I know of rarely if ever touch weights.

But for u doing wrestling as well I'd say you should do weightlifting, alter ur program and box more.

Lifting weights does not make one stiff. Rather the opposite in fact.

This old wives tale needs to die

Meh, i'd say the only reason you are getting stiff is because you are getting back to the grind of training, and such your body need to adapt again for it, which can cause conditioning issues that make you stiffer. The fucking old wives tale about lifting make people stiffer should die by now, dammit.

And no, people in the highest competition of boxing do lift to improve their strength and conditioning. It is a completely different ball game in amateur so the need for weightlifting is not there. As if those physiques of Pacquiao, JMM just formed by themselves through hours and hours of just skill training.

Lifting weights does not make one stiff. Rather the opposite in fact.

This old wives tale needs to die

Exactly.

If he's gotten stiffer since dropping boxing, he'd be even worse if he'd stopped lifting as well. But lifting doesn't increase sport specific flexibility and fluidity to the same extent that sport specific training does and that's the problem this guy ran into.

I think it's 50/50... 50% getting used to punching again mentally and 50% of your muscles regaining the muscle memory and reflexes that you built up over time.

Post your entire lifting routine-exercises, sets and reps. Then we might be able to help. Your max lifts would also be useful.

Dynamic or static? If you were doing the standard post-lift static stretch, it doesn't translate as well as a dynamic stretching routine aimed at improving sport movement.

Both actually.After weights I do a static stretch and on my days off when I do boxing and wrestling drills I do dynamic stretch.

Post your entire lifting routine-exercises, sets and reps. Then we might be able to help. Your max lifts would also be useful.

Max lifts - 380 on bench,540 on dead lift and 585 on squat

At the moment my training looks like this:
1)10 minutes of intense warm up
2)First exercise is core(bench,dead lift,squat) and I do 4 sets - 5,3,2,1 reps,last rep is max weight
3)Rest of the training I am doing a 3 super sets which consist of 3 sets of 3 exercises and I always involve muscle groups that I did in my core exercise.This 27 sets are done with no breaks in between and I do 15,12,10 reps with medium weights
4)Stretching

I think it's 50/50... 50% getting used to punching again mentally and 50% of your muscles regaining the muscle memory and reflexes that you built up over time.

This may be the correct answer but I think that lifting lighter can be really helpful for boxing rather than lifting like a wrestler.

Max lifts - 380 on bench,540 on dead lift and 585 on squat

At the moment my training looks like this:
1)10 minutes of intense warm up
2)First exercise is core(bench,dead lift,squat) and I do 4 sets - 5,3,2,1 reps,last rep is max weight
3)Rest of the training I am doing a 3 super sets which consist of 3 sets of 3 exercises and I always involve muscle groups that I did in my core exercise.This 27 sets are done with no breaks in between and I do 15,12,10 reps with medium weights
4)Stretching

Lower the volume in your routine by taking out the supersets. You're strong enough for boxing. Instead of the supersets, do plyometrics, extra cardio, or some form of sprinting. Just my opinion though.

Lower the volume in your routine by taking out the supersets. You're strong enough for boxing. Instead of the supersets, do plyometrics, extra cardio, or some form of sprinting. Just my opinion though.

Can you recommend some specific drills of this type ?

C'mon dude, you took a break from boxing and you blame lifting on being stiff? I lift low rep, high weight and I've gotten more fluid as I got better at boxing. Although I'm nowhere near strong as you.

Can you recommend some specific drills of this type ?

I've also seen videos of him doing box jumps.

C'mon dude, you took a break from boxing and you blame lifting on being stiff? I lift low rep, high weight and I've gotten more fluid as I got better at boxing. Although I'm nowhere near strong as you.

I've also seen videos of him doing box jumps.

Thank you.I forgot to mention that I did a training last night and that I felt stiffer only when working the mitts,even the mitt holder told me that.When we were sparring I felt like I've got the power and I was right. :)

Back