A ppv where the main and co-main events were huge mismatches like 173??

The Mookster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hello!

In your opinions, has there ever been another event with more predictable\bigger mismatches\bigger odds disparity than ufc 173?

I love gambling, and just looking at the odds of the main event and co-main event for UFC 173, Cormier is 8:1 over Hendo, and Barao is 8:1 over Dilashaw. I mean dear lord, I can't think of another time when in my own opinion, there was such a huge mismatch in BOTH the main and co-main.

I am obviously picking both Cormier and Barao, and I can't even come up with a good parlay that would be worth betting. I used to think mismatches were ok, but from a gambler's perspective I am realizing how un-fun this event is. We all pretty much know what is going to happen in both these fights so why even book them?? Is it just horrible UFC matchmaking or is this just a one-time random occurrence due to the Machida-Weidman fight falling out?

/rant

I was under the impression dillishaw is an injury replacement.

I was under the impression dillishaw is an injury replacement.

No, not really. The UFC had to scramble to get a new main event after Weidman's knees turned to garbage so they booked Dillashaw/Barao.

No, not really. The UFC had to scramble to get a new main event after Weidman's knees turned to garbage so they booked Dillashaw/Barao.
But, it was originally supposed to be Barao/Assuncao. However, Assuncao apparently is still nursing an injury incurred at UFC 170 and would not have had time to prepare sufficiently.

That being said, anyone who honestly thinks this is just some squash match where Barao will run through Dillashaw is probably retarded. TJ has shown so much improvement since his time on TUF.

I don't see either being one sided. Don't get me wrong, I'll take dc and Barao but it won't be as easy as people are making out

That being said, anyone who honestly thinks this is just some squash match where Barao will run through Dillashaw is probably retarded. TJ has shown so much improvement since his time on TUF.

Given Barao's level of competition relative to Dillashaws, I think it's fair to be reluctant to view this matchup as something less than competitive.

Thank God Robbie Lawler is on this card. He's what saved it. At least for me.

Rousey vs Mcmann
Cormier vs Cummins

Gegard vs Munoz is a super mismatch as well. Expect Gegard to brutally stop Mark.

He might be an underdog but you cant call Henderson/Cormier a mismatch either IMO, HenDo has been sefying expectations for years now and has that killer instinct/will to win that few others do.

Given Barao's level of competition relative to Dillashaws, I think it's fair to be reluctant to view this matchup as something less than competitive.
More or less, although we have seen seemingly overmatched challengers perform better than ever before in their stiffest tests (Jones-Gus, Barao-Wineland), but even so it is possible to have a very dominant fight where the winner is sorely outclassed and not utterly besmirched. I wouldn't be surprised if TJ lasts at least 2 rounds if not go the distance. I've seen people on FB and here all day making it seem as though Barao will effortlessly devastate him in under 3 minutes, which I believe is false on the basis that it's not 2005 anymore.

Back