A possible move to use against Jones' outstretched hand

Was expecting a bunch of silly posts and flaming, but fuck it, just thought I'd throw it out there. :p

Slapping it out of the way would be an invitation for a massive right elbow/hand.

On another note, I've noticed that nobody really attacks the body on Bones when he had his hand out like that. Seems like a switch body kick or left hook to the body would be able to sneak in. Of course, covering the distance it's the biggest obstacle but just a random thought.

I don't know if it would be considered small joint manipulation, but I really want to see someone punch his fingers. Glover, Rashad and Rampage played patty cake every time Jones stuck his hand out.

I want to see someone throw a powerful punch at his hand and see how he reacts.

I'm pretty sure you can punch fingers. I think the joint manipulation applies to holds only not strikes

Slapping it out of the way would be an invitation for a massive right elbow/hand.

On another note, I've noticed that nobody really attacks the body on Bones when he had his hand out like that. Seems like a switch body kick or left hook to the body would be able to sneak in. Of course, covering the distance it's the biggest obstacle but just a random thought.

That's exactly what he wants you to do.

Wasn't saying it wasn't hand fighting, but ok, lol. My main point is its something that I'm curious as to why someone hasn't at least tried it against Jones, the refs dont warn Jones enough if at all about the out stretched fingers, so the fighters should come up with a way to counter it. This is just a suggestion, a topic for discussion, whether people think its stupid or not, this is a discussion board after all.

There are 3 simply option against an outstretched arm a.) move your head b.) handfighting/slapping the hand away and c.) kicks.
All those 3 things work.
Rampage did neither of them he doesn't move his head, doesn't kick and only throws hooks while runningforward.
Machida caught Jones when Jones was coming in with timing.
Rashad tried to do handfighting but ended up being passive and not doing anything and he had no kicks or headmovement it was similar to his fight with Lil Nog.
Gustaffson had headmovement and handfighting and he hit Jones plenty.
Glover moves his head for his overhand right and he grazed Jones a few times but Jones fought him in close without extending his hands.
it's not liek no one has tried. Belfort slapped Jones hands away but ended up simply rushing forward and Jones only had to back up as he always does and he was already slowing down after the first round

Also to OP, this is the true solution to fighting Jon Jones:

[YT]7mHV3Zn13wg[/YT]

Once you learn how to fight blind the eye pokes no longer matter.

I have no idea how practical this might be but grabbing his hand or some sort of parry and slamming a shin into his rib cage seems like a reasonable idea. He does have a lot of rib cage.

Failing that, a quick nibble on his cuticles.

Possibly after he knows you're trying to do it, but I think you may only have 1 or 2 attempts at it before Jones catches on and counters it. Could be a significant moment if done right.

There are 3 simply option against an outstretched arm a.) move your head b.) handfighting/slapping the hand away and c.) kicks.
All those 3 things work.
Rampage did neither of them he doesn't move his head, doesn't kick and only throws hooks while runningforward.
Machida caught Jones when Jones was coming in with timing.
Rashad tried to do handfighting but ended up being passive and not doing anything and he had no kicks or headmovement it was similar to his fight with Lil Nog.
Gustaffson had headmovement and handfighting and he hit Jones plenty.
Glover moves his head for his overhand right and he grazed Jones a few times but Jones fought him in close without extending his hands.
it's not liek no one has tried. Belfort slapped Jones hands away but ended up simply rushing forward and Jones only had to back up as he always does and he was already slowing down after the first round

Thanks for the reply, don't remember Vitor doing it, but then again haven't watched that fight in a long time. I think you're right about Gus doing it though, I think I recall seeing him hand fighting a bit, haven't seen it in awhile, but I believe I do remember seeing it at points.

No it wont work he will just use that elbow to strike

Headbutt his open hand. You think about it, and there is far more damage in general a cranium does to extended fingers than extended finger do to a cranium.

Use your head, don't attack open fingers with your eyes!

If someone is dumb enough to leave their hand in your face you can grab it and launch into a body or leg kick on that side.

thats why Master Seagal came in to show Cormier the secret wrist lock takedown techniques he can do when Jones tries the hokey pokey.

it worked perfectly in under siege 2 so i have no doubt Cormier will use it successfully.

I'm pretty sure that Glover tried to fight Jones' hands by using actual hand fighting and kept getting elbowed. And I think, though I'm not sure, that Gus tried to smack Jones' hands away or at least do some hand fighting too.

I always love these "Why haven't fighters tried..." type threads. Just because you think it works in your mind doesn't mean it'll work in a real fight or against Jones.

Trying to gently push his fingers out of the way as everybody does plays into his strategy.

I would just try to bite his fingers off or go for a quick grab and break. Let the ref do whatever he's gonna do. Similar to what Vitor did when he tried to kick Jones's head off when he crawled in to start the fight.

Back