1. The Sherdog Forums are currently experiencing technical difficulties, and we are working on it. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A plea to just let Matt Brown enjoy his win streak...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by emax, May 12, 2014.

1. emax

emax Black Belt

...without trying to discredit his every move and trying to gauge when his hype train will be thrown off the tracks. I know by now that this plea will go nowhere but i could not help myself anymore.

Matt Brown is doing what he is being paid to do effectively and gets it done without trying to justify or explain himself every time he is called on to do it. The UFC is doing there job by giving him the same coverage they do for every other fighter that does their job on a regular schedule and that should be the end of it. The only way Zuffa could conceivably make you happy, if you have a problem with that, is to arbitrarily decide they are gonna make all his matches dark matches and not show them.

We are seeing someone turn his fight career around the same way Robbie Lawler and the Korean Zombie did. The only way that could bother you is if you feel some sort of need to take comfort in the fact that you will somehow always know who to bet on and who to write off. When someone like Matt Brown disrupts your need to take everything in MMA for granted, then obviously it becomes a problem for some people here and it quickly becomes everyone elses' problems as well. Perhaps with Matt Brown, because of his lack of inclination to use tact or sugar coat what he has to say about touchy subjects, has a public image that does not click with the fans, in the same way Robbie Lawler and the Korean Zombie had public images that did not click either, albeit for different reasons. So be it, there comes a time when we need to collectively get over ourselves.

Matt Brown has turned his career around and is becoming more dangerous with every fight and that needs to be the end of it. One will be hard pressed even in the premier Mixed Martial Arts league - and yes, at this point that is indeed what the UFC is - that has more of a warrior's spirit than Matt Brown. It is not too likely that we will be the WW champion but the desperate needs to dismiss that fact and imply that one hopes it will never happen are mystifying when one considers that Matt Brown, more so then many other fighters, is someone that, if he ever was the champ, could be counted on to show up ready to fight his ass off whenever and wherever he was called on do it and not look for ways out of having to defend his belt. He has earned his recent success, he brings the UFC genuine profit with his fights, he does his part to make MMA a more viable sport that could bring in fans from other physical sports and is good for MMA. If you are angry at the fact that he has not yet faced a top 5 WW, it is time to take that up with the matchmakers, not with the guy who is prepared and willing to fight who they place in front of him at the drop of a hat. If you want the guy to keep fighting lower level gatekeepers and be relegated to the prelims at all times, it has been established this will never happen because the UFC is run by guys who actually want to make real money, as hard as this may be to believe for some, and therefore want to promote the guys that can help them do this.

2. 315MMAFighter

315MMAFighter MąïȚře Đë Đəğåť§ - Pure Dominican Platinum Member

Matt Brown, you tha MAN!

3. DownwardStrike

DownwardStrike Purple Belt

Just let him enjoy bro, just let him enjoy.

4. emax

emax Black Belt

I am not Matt Brown, my life would be exponentially cooler if I was Matt Brown.

That is exactly what I am trying to say, unsuccessfully, no doubt, to the masses around here.

5. Da Speeit

Da Speeit Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Matt Brown is awesome, but when someone goes hyperbolic left, it's only natural someone else goes hyperbolic right.

People screaming that he needs a title shot asap is going to illicit some of the negativity we've seen.

6. emax

emax Black Belt

I suppose it is a matter of perception; my perception is that those who keep saying Matt Brown will not hang with [insert name of top WW(s) here] are the ones who started it. Usually it is the naysayers who either start it or get way more obscene and out of control than the other side.

7. MMAFan232

MMAFan232 Black Belt

Matt Brown is a fuckin beast. He hasnt beaten top caliber guys yet but he has destroyed everyone put in front of him and is on a tear. What more can you ask of the guy? Excited to see who his next test is against

8. Da Speeit

Da Speeit Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Well, he won't. Positivity at the cost of reality isn't really how I want people to function. Maybe that' how you want it, but that's just boring and gross.

Matt Brown is a super likable guy. I spoke with him on the phone once and he was positively as polite and nice and could be. I love watching him fight and he was my pick to win TUF 7. I would LOVE to see him fight for that belt. But what if he wasn't? Take someone like Caraway; if he were on a 7 fight win streak, he'd be getting shit on 10x worse than Matt.

I don't see him avoiding an asskicking from the most of the top 10. If that's "naysaying" then I don't know what to tell you. I don't want to ever live in a world where I have to just blindly support someone with positivity and misdirection because I don't want to be perceived as a "naysayer". I'll gladly be wrong before I'm disingenuous.

So basically, my point is: If someone thinks Brown is going to get his shit pushed in, hopefully they express it in a respectful manner, but I have no qualms with them expressing it.

9. FallonFoxGOAT

FallonFoxGOAT Banned Banned

Leave Matt Brown alone!

LEAVE HIM ALONE!

:icon_cry2

10. Jesse James

Jesse James Chastity Belt

Here! Here! I agree...Matt is on fire....& has my full attention & respect!:icon_chee

11. BlackDynamite36

BlackDynamite36 Orange Belt

Amen to that,TS.

12. emax

emax Black Belt

That is fine except a. It won't be done in a respectful manner, never is, never has been. b. the threads will be flooded with this sentiment and it will be quite obvious there are personal reasons for it.

13. Guts

Guts H-Minus

He's got in the cage and beat the fuck out of 7 dudes in a row...
    It's awesome. What's not to enjoy?

14. ZackZed

ZackZed Black Belt

Always support guys like Brown and Lawler.
    If Lawler becomes champ and Brown beats a top 5, that title fight will not disappoint.

15. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

Brown is exciting and a nice story. I don't see why he should be excluded from critiques because of those two facts, though. We are on a forum that at least claims to be a place to discuss MMA, after all.

16. BambooWater

BambooWater Orange Belt

Am I on the bizzaro interwebs?
    A sherdog thread that is respectful.

Though I was hoping Silva would have his ish together for this fight, I would never count Brown out completely. Especially after how he handled Pyle

17. Blayt7hh

Blayt7hh Steel Belt

Don't worry TS, I am pretty sure he is enjoying it, completely oblivious to what all the internet cronies are saying about it

18. Sirwastealot

Sirwastealot Red Belt

I like him, not only are the fights exciting but his interviews are hilarious and unpredictable. He won't win the title but he's having a great run and i think his fan base is really growing, so good for him. I'll root for him against most WWs.

19. KlLLEmAll

KlLLEmAll Blue Belt

/thread

You deserve an award for that masterpiece

20. bambammccoy

bambammccoy Red Belt

and why?

I have a thing for trilogies I guess.

EDIT boy do I feel dumb. thought I hit new topic