A person who is trained in all forms of Japanese Martial Arts?

Fact is that what Karate used to be a complete mixed martial arts system, but the japanese government embraced and marketed the most striking-focused branch of karate in the wake of the enormous interest in boxing in the country back in the day. Thus, they watered it down to popularize it.

When are we gonna see shaolin masters flying around the cage throwing spirit energy at each other, I think is what TS is really asking

Yes, exclusively training in Japanese Martial Arts is sufficient enough to prevail in MMA. This has been proven. Training in Kosen Judo is no different than training in BJJ essentially.

Kung Fu is very underrated around here. I've seen street fight videos of Kung Fu being effective. There's also been a lot of guys from Dagestan succeeding in MMA now with a Sanda background Zabit, Salikhov. We also had Cung Le.

MMA is still a new sport and we haven't seen everything yet. Aikido for example I don't see having much success because most of the moves are considered illegal in MMA.
Yay.. finally someone bigging up Kung Fu.
I have a black belt in Wu Shu Kwan Kung Fu, which translates as Chinese boxing.
First martial art I ever did and that was a long long long time ago now.

It was because Bruce Lee was the man when I was a kid.

Muslim Salikhov and Zabit have done pretty well, also tons of others implement elements of kung fu into their style. Salikhov was a world champ in Wushu. Also Cung Le did pretty well for himself, only fights he lost were when he was coming off of layoffs.

TS is Dwight schrute

I think you can apply any (legal) move from another martial art as long as you have the base in the other main styles to defend against TDS, punches, kicks etc. (I have no fighting experience so don’t really know but I imagine this is true).

Someone with high level kyokushin karate and high level judo, preferably legit judo not the kind that adapted to all the new rules, would do very well in MMA. Either one of those martial arts would be a fine base, both of them together would be an amazing base, but they'd still need to adapt a bit to MMA.

By high level kyokushin and judo, I mean they've competed in these arts at a high level and had success.

Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are stemmed from Ju Jutsu, Asian martial arts laid foundations for stuff like that. Wrestling and boxing are popular worldwide for a reason and it’s foolish to think someone could be competitive without having those skills.

Ju Jutsu was developed by samurai for smaller men to still have an advantage over men that outsized them, Judo and Jiu Jitsu are literally the best martial arts to defeat bigger men.
Ju Jitsu was made for unarmed samurai fighting. You're thinking of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. That comes from Judo. The Gracies modified old-school Judo to make it able to defeat bigger men. No Japanese martial art was made specifically for fighting bigger men. On the contrary, if you read accounts from the original Judo guys in the 1800s (yeah the founder was a normal sized guy at 5', but his 'best students' were not), it was encouraged to scout for big guys and small guys were frowned upon as poor prospects. By "big", I'm talking like 5'6" lol. But in that time period in Japan, that'd be like being 6'4" today.

Curios to know if an exclusively Japanese trained martial arts can prevail in MMA today against Thai kickboxing and wrestling?
Being a good fighter comes with an accumulation of things: genetics, good trainers/sparring partners, passion, hard work etc. Styles makes a difference but with out those other aspects its not gonna work.

As for styles Muaythai, wrestling and BJJ have always been the most effective in MMA. I always see people come on to this forum trying to find alternatives asking about TKD and Karate over muaythai and so on as if they're looking for a new magic formula. They try and over complicate things when martial arts should not be too complicated. Like the Bruce Lee phrase: "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times".

I've seen Thai fighters go into kickboxing events and win just by spamming a roundhouse kick with only one leg the whole fight or Mayweather win boxing matches with simple single shots. Its not just about different styles. Its about timing and distance control which come from years of perfecting in actual fights and sparring. So I'd recommend muaythai over karate and wrestling over certain other grappling arts based off their training structures.

Traditional Japanese martial arts suffer from a "size effect". Back when they were made, the average Japanese man was 5'1" rail thin at 110 lbs.

There was never any need to develop martial arts to the extent that MMA has developed them because simple size superiority created by mass malnutrition was impossible to overcome no matter how developed the martial arts. So, any Japanese guy that was fed enough nutrition to grow to a normal height and fill out with normal body mass could practice any watered down bullshit and completely destroy anyone he came across in hand to hand combat.

Judo is not a complete grappling system. Karate styles are not competent striking arts.

But in the hands of a 5'10" 180 lb guy against 5'1" 110 lb competition?

5'1" 110 lb guy could be Fedor and GSP put together and he's getting destroyed by the 180 lb Judo guy.
They are talking about a guy that could kill a bull and you are talking about size difference of 70 lb... imagine that small guy that can brake rocks with his hand landing a quick palm strike on your eye socket area...

Machida trained in karate, Brazillian jiu-jitsu, sumo and judo.

Your concerns about the quality control of what's called "Kung Fu" is also true for Karate, Tae Kwon Do, or anything claiming to be a martial art, since the name of the martial art, with a few exceptions, are not under the control of anyone, legally. Any schmoe can open a dojo, put out a shingle claiming to teach from the "fzoid-do" style of TKD or karate, for instance, and declare himself to be a fifth-level black belt master instructor.

Those are the "belt factory" schools where you keep getting promoted to the next belt level, as long as you are paying dues/fees, regardless of your competence.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back