A note on weight and strength

cockysprinter

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We seem to get a lot of questions about getting stronger and maintaining weight. Before you ask that question, go and look in the mirror. Are you filled out yet? Should you even be asking that question? I bring this up because the standard answer here on this forum is 'eat clean lift heavy.' I'd like to remind everyone that your body is intended to be a certain way, and if you're too small and weak to begin with, lifting low reps and maintaining your weight won't help performance. Thus, lifting low reps and eating little will mean you'll be stuck being weak. Generally, getting the GPP to lift heavy involves hypertrophy. If you lift heavy without the proper GPP, you're asking for injury and no progress.

I totally agree. I remember once a very good oly lifter turned powerlifter said to me that "if a body doesn't get to it's optimal weight, whatever that may be, you will never be your best". Those who are trying to keep in lower classes to avoid the extra difficulties of fighting the bigger guys won't ever know what their body is really capable of, and those who just wanna get huge without thinking about progressing their strength correctly also have it wrong. There's nothing impressive about a 10kg increase in total if you had to put on 10kg to get it.

As for me I've found every kilo over 86 feels like it's helping me exponentially, I'm more stable, stronger, and just generally a more capable lifter. If I stayed in lower classes I'm sure it might have been easier than getting whipped as a shitty 85/94, but nobody cares how I fare as a junior, it's what you do at the end that counts, maintaining an inappropriate weightclass for temporary gain is lame.

Thats what i wanted to express in another Thread. Cockysprinter formulated it very well. A certain level of thickness is required. And if you havent reached it yet...

Carnal got after me for this once.

He said, "You do realize most guys on this forum are, like, 12 years old and can't bench press their own bodyweight, right, Madmick?"

Fact was, I didn't.

Madmick said:
Carnal got after me for this once.

He said, "You do realize most guys on this forum are, like, 12 years old and can't bench press their own bodyweight, right, Madmick?"

Fact was, I didn't.

Indeed

Also consider that many young athletes haven't naturally filled out yet, and will get more solid just with maturity, so for them it's more of a waiting game, rather than desperately trying to get to a weight division that is traditionally more appropriate for their height (which is my situation)

Back