a note from relson gracie

hoppfactor said:
Hey Charles. Its David from Phil's school. Find out more on this if you can. Thanks.

i dont know the entire story but, i have posted what i know so far. phil would be a great choice for a match, i would love to see that one, but we all know phil is a brown belt and a really good one.
maybe we could get one of the Richards to go over there.

i cant wait to get a job near ya'll again so i can train with ya,ll.

DeltaSigChi4 said:
I wonder who the purple is going to be. Maybe jjmuaythaiguy knows more about this. Maybe JJ is the one who is going to the purple!! Heh.

E

Hahaha, I got that from Kawikaveeka.

The first thing I heard about this is from a Relson Gracie Brown Belt that I train no gi with at the Waikiki Sandvilla = Gracie Waikiki.

Anyway, this whole week I was searching for a place to watch the Pride event this weekend and my friend tells me that Relson called out this guy on ADCC. I was like "holy crap" what the hell did the guy do to piss Relson off. My friend has trained with Relson for 10 + years and is still a brown and says. "I don't know. I never even heard of that guy."

So after Saturdays jj class with Relson I forgot all about it because of the stuff he was showing us. Relson says "Rob, come to my house on Sunday for a barbeque. Bring all your friends." I was like, food, jiu jitsu, Relson's house = I'm there.

After watching the awesome Pride event at Eastside Grill with some fans I head on over to Relson's house. Relson is making his awesome food and we get to drinking some beers and he tells me about this guy Joe who is using his name.

Ah, the lightbulb goes off. Its the same guy as my friend was talking about. So I asked Relson, "Whats the beef Rels?"

Without using his exact words he says, some reporter asked him for an interview for Joe Hurst? whatever his name is because he says that he represents the Gracie name in his area. Relson says in no short words that the guy does not represent Relson or any Gracie that he knows of. Relson says he was an okay blue belt but any of the purples from our school or any one of the associations under him could tap him. The problem with the article is that it was very, very long and Relson said they only posted what they wanted. I think a few of the associations (Phil and some other guy) are trying to work with Relson and the reporter to post the whole story.

Facts are that yes, he was a blue under Relson, then moved and trained under someone else for a while, opened a school, invited the person he trained under to give expensive seminars, while at the same time, courting Royce Gracie to come give a seminar. Whoever the guy was that gave the seminar prior to Royce coming made a killing and gave him his purple or brown, I forget. So when Royce came to give the seminar, there was only 3 students who took the seminar. Good for the students but bad for Royce. Royce was upset when he found out that there was seminars before he came, bascially tapping the $$ flow for him. Royce spent $2,000 or more dollars to get there for three days to make $150 or whatever he charged.

Then this guy Joe starting promoting and referring an event in which Marc Laimon and some other guy had a serious rule violation and that made more bad blood, rumors and stuff. I think when Royce next saw him, like two years later, Joe was a brown and Royce was like "WTF?!" and called up Relson to ask if he promoted the guy. Relson was like "Oh HELL NO!" So Relson really started getting calls as no one I know has been promoted that quickly in any Relson Gracie academy. A year and a half later he is BLACK? Who is this guy the second BJ Penn.

Anyway, what really hurts is the loyalty and love here folks. Relson really cares about his students and when you ask for help he gives it. I guess this guy wanted to meet Relson's dad and actually did taking pictures and all at the ranch and now has it hanging at his school or something as proof of his black belt. Its kind of like he used Relson and his dad for his own benefit.

I still don't know the guy but if he is claiming to represent a Gracie he should have something in writing. He might actually be working with trying to be a Gracie Barra affilitate or something. No one really knows.

All I know is that people are working on posting the whole story on the interview and the guy in question so if anyone hears about it or sees a posts then post it here.

That is all I know on the subject.

everyone says he got his promotions from daniel and marcelo. (purple and brown) that is the rumor.
i heard he got the black belt from dassio ---not sure on the spelling at all.
rumor has it he is starting a federation in North Carolina and trying to use the ncbjj name that relson is already on the board of. luis the ncbjj federation president has contacted joe and told him he can not use ncbjj he has to change the name of whatever organization he is trying to start.

joe puts on tournaments in NC and has done a great job promoting the sport, i would like to see all of this come to good ending some how

i would not want to be the one that pisses relson off, i could see him flying somewhere to handle business if needed.

excerpt
from joes website

Joe Hurst Jiu-Jitsu

"Cicatrizes Fazem Guerreiros"
Joe Hurst began his training in traditional martial arts in 1993 with Kieth Bost a Karate and Hapkido Blackbelt. Upon receiving the rank of Black Belt Mr. Hurst began training with top ranked kickboxer Brian Heffner for 6 more years.
After Japanese Jiu Jitsu Black Belt Sok Song a native of Atlanta Georgia introduced Mr. Hurst to some basic moves of Brazialian style JiuJitsu he was hooked. Of course Jiu JItsu did not exist in North Carolina at the time so they studied tapes or traveled to seminars in other states. Mr. Hurst was a pioneer in his area.
Finally, Mr. Hurst met Relson Gracie who had a school and trained under him for several years. Mr. Hurst became the FIRST American to train on the mats at Helio Gracie's home in Brazil in 2000. In 2001 Joe won the Gracie World Championships in the Blue belt division, and event went to Brazil to compete in the Mundails. Carlos Lemos Jr a Gracie Barra Black gave Mr. Hurst his purple belt (easily the equivalent of Black Belt in most other Martial Arts).
Later Mr. Hurst made another trip to Brazil staying 3 months with Royler Gracie's Black Belt and 4X World Champion of Brazil Daniel Moraes who is credited for helping Mr. Hurst develop the most. He would come and stay long periods at his home and even sent Phillpe Valdelia a State champion of Brazil Purple belt to come live with Mr. Hurst at my Academy for 3 months to help perfect his art.
In 2003 Mr. Hurst received his Brown Belt from Daniels teach Marcello Clemente a Royler Gracie Black Belt. 1 1/2 years later they Gave Mr. Hurst his wings, the Black Belt in Brazilian JiuJitsu Sept of 2004. Mr. Hurst has trained the US Secret Service, NC Highway Patrol, local law enforcement & SWAT teams and works to further progress the defensive fighting and hand to hand combat skills of law enforcement and civilians alike.

someone ask joe to post on the sherdog forum here.
i hope all this doesnt screw up the tournament this weekend.

People that know Relson and Daniel know they are tough s.o.b.'s that just dont get something away easily! I can ask Relson about it when I see him oct. 6, but i dont think giving this guy anymore bandwidth (if he is a fake black belt) is needed.

i believe that someone actually did promote him to black belt. so someone thinks he deserves it.

That's the first that I've heard of the controversy about his black belt. I do know that Joe was in a bad car accident a little while back, I'm not sure that he could compete even if he wanted to. I dropped him a link on another forum to this thread so maybe he can answer the questions himself.

guardpasser said:
i believe that someone actually promoted him to black belt. so joe probably has felt like he is one.
i am sure no one in relsons camp did it for sure.

Yeah, for sure Relson and Daniel are tight. Daniel comes to Hawaii, stays at Relson's house and gives seminars for Relson students. They are super tight.

Like I said, I don't know Joe Hurst. If he is promoting the sport in North Carolina, that usually would be great because more exposure is better for bjj.

However if he is not joining the organization that is already in place that is wrong. Plain wrong. Also, if he is claiming that he is the representative for the Gracie family, I would ask to see something in writing.

I think Relson feels tricked and used.

I don't know if he is deserving of his black belt or not. What was his record in competitions after the blue? Anybody know? If there is a question of what level belt you are, competitions tell the story. If you win a prestigious tournament at your level then you know you deserve it.

BJ Penn was promoted quickly. But he also won at Black Belt level. Thats why nobody I know discounts his bjj skill or his black belt. Can the same be said for this guy, Joe? Hopefully the rest of the interview and story will be posted.

As Charles mentioned I would not want to be the person pissing Relson off.

aaron_mag said:
I was just out in Hawaii and he is a blue belt. But a BIG blue belt! He'd probably represent really well. :)

Thanks Aaron. I think Relson got a few purple belts in mind from the mainland associations and here at the main. But its not me. As a blue I only got to enter and won only 1 event and then the NAGA here was cancelled. I never left Hawaii to compete = too expensive.

I would roll with the guy WITHOUT expecting to win but if I got the tap or submission chokes that I love, that would be SWEET! But in reality, the guy must have some skills to win the worlds at blue.

The last black belt I rolled with was with Daniel de Lima, a bjj black belt out of Gracie Barra, www.gbmiami.com . I never tapped so many times in such a short time in my life. The guy was simply like butter with his moves, so slick. Anybody train or know him tell him Big Bob from Relson's school in Hawaii says hi. Daniel is the real deal black belt and his record speaks for itself.

Funny thing is that based on information posted here on Joe Hurst, it says he was a blue in 2001 and brown in 2003? Black in 2004? Whew that is fast! 3 year from blue to black? DAMN!

i think joe was hurt a while back, and i think it was really bad. i read about it somewhere.
no matter the controversy and so forth....he should get credit for all the tournaments he has going in NC and all the good things he does.
we havent heard joes side what so ever on the matter. there could be reasonable explanatons for everything that has happened.

guardpasser said:
http://mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?FID=1&a=327&TID=0

i read this earlier, its the forum qoutes that involve joe and some replies from him

Hey Charles,

I hit that link and it had a lot of comments and posts. I got to read it joe's response and as always I saw we got to let it play itself out and get the whole story out there. Even the guy's own bio is a tough read though. It seems competitors like his tournaments and that GB is backing him. I would still get that in writing from GB though and did GB know that Relson was already on a organizing board? Also I would love to know his competition record to get that black belt in 3 years from blue. Other than that, we all just got to let it play itself out I say.

Man I clicked on that thread and found nothing but 90% relson bashers....so i left the trhead.

Back